PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers

Bradley G
06-20-2009, 03:55 PM
You probably saw in the news, the Prez signed the bill.
Cars 1984 & newer that don't get combined 18MPG, are worth 3500-4500 dollars VOUCHER off the purchase of a new vehicle(under $45,000).
The vehicle you select must achive a mimimum 22 MPG combined and be at least 4 MPG(combined)better than the car you are (purchacing)recieving the voucher for=3500
If it gets 10 MPG better than the clunker you have you get an additional 1000 dollar voucher
Trucks have a whole nother set of circumstances, which the HD trucks are easy to figure.
The only rig in the/my fleet that qualifies besides the Marauder:eek:, is the 2002 GMQ LSE HPP W 102K and has not been to the 1320 yet.
The 1992 SHO MTX misses by 1 MPG, it is rated @ 19MPG combined.

So much for makin' this new deal work for me.
If you want to see if a car qualifies by it's combined mileage:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
Ford/Mercury vehicles that qualify for the Voucher ;Focus,Fusion/Milan(4cyl), Escape/Mariner(4cyl)

UncleLar
06-20-2009, 05:22 PM
You probably saw in the news, the Prez signed the bill.
Cars 1984 & newer that don't get combined 18MPG, are worth 3500-4500 dollars VOUCHER off the purchase of a new vehicle(under $45,000).
The vehicle you select must achive a mimimum 22 MPG combined and be at least 4 MPG(combined)better than the car you are (purchacing)recieving the voucher for=3500
If it gets 10 MPG better than the clunker you have you get an additional 1000 dollar voucher
Trucks have a whole nother set of circumstances, which the HD trucks are easy to figure.
The only rig in the/my fleet that qualifies besides the Marauder:eek:, is the 2002 GMQ LSE HPP W 102K and has not been to the 1320 yet.
The 1992 SHO MTX misses by 1 MPG, it is rated @ 19MPG combined
So much for makin' this new deal work for me.
If you want to see if a car qualifies by it's combined mileage:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
Ford/Mercury vehicles that qualify for the Voucher ;Focus,Fusion/Milan(4cyl), Escape/Mariner(4cyl)

We may finally have found the right next owners for that darn puke green GM Marauder wannabe!

timfromme
06-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi, as far as I see our marauders go, I don't think they qualify cause any car worth more than the $3500 or $4500 incentive is disqualified from the short lived program. If you car is worth $10K at trade in, the gov wil not add the $3500 or $4500 on top of the trade in.

Leadfoot281
06-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Awesome!!!! :banana:

Last week my trusty '96 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/High Output 4.0 and towing package was worth maybe $3,200. Now, thanks to this global warming hoax, it's worth $7,700! :D

Who says inflation is bad? :beer:

timfromme
06-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Last week my trusty '96 Jeep Cherokee Sport w/High Output 4.0 and towing package was worth maybe $3,200. Now, thanks to this global warming hoax, it's worth $7,700! :D

Who says inflation is bad?

Only towards a purchase of another car. Plus its up to the stealership to give you that much for your jeep. Sorry but very optimistic bout all this. I personally don't want another car payment in this economy.
PS:
Any item is only worth as much as another person is willing to pay for it.

Vortex
06-21-2009, 05:39 AM
This program is basically a "gimme" to the auto industry though I dont really see the logic if the money is used on a foreign made car.

FordNut
06-21-2009, 05:40 AM
And you don't get the trade-in value PLUS the incentive. Instead of $3200 it's worth either $3500 or $4500, depending on what you trade it in on.

cassidy
06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
What if you buy such a car (cheap) and "sell" it to the government for a profit?

You probably could only get anyway with it once because you have to buy a new one right away.

Kinda automatic tax rebate for yourself. Hell, why not get a piece of the pie, we are beyond bankrupt and everyone else is on the chuckwagon!

(And here I thought I was a patriotic citizen)

LIGHTNIN1
06-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Who is the genius that thought this program up? I want to see him in a well lighted room. There are reasons people would be driving a $3500 car.One they are trying to save money and don't want a new car payment. The other being they can't afford anything better, thus new car payments. But lets sell people who can't afford a new car one like they did on housing. Do they teach this stuff in school now?:stupid:

Marauder M.C.
06-21-2009, 12:14 PM
The car being traded in on this policy has to be on the road and have been registered for a minimum of 1 year. So no buying beaters from the junkyard that barely run and cashing in. If you think about it, cars since the late 1980's get at least 18-19 MPG combined. 17 MPG combined or less qualifies. Most cars that qualify for the voucher have been sent to the crusher years ago. Someone still driving a carbed 307 84 Cutlass Supreme with 250,000+ miles on it as their only set of wheels probably can't afford a new car or a payment. I don't think the plan is going to get many "clunkers" off the road.

timfromme
06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Someone still driving a carbed 307 84 Cutlass Supreme with 250,000+ miles on it as their only set of wheels probably can't afford a new car or a payment.
Exactly well said. I have friends that drive older cars cause they cannot afford a new one and/or car payment. Incentive is for new cars only, not used cars. Government trying to help the automakers sell cars with this incentive is not gonna work. Maybe a few but thats about it. Click here: http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/bill-faq

FordNut
06-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Up 'til last year I had my '88 Mk VII. It would have been tempting IF I was in the market for a new car. But it would have been hard to see the car in such good shape go to the shredder. My brother is driving a hand-me-down Bonneville which is beat up and probably worth $500 or so. No way he would be able to make a new car payment.

Bradley G
06-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Remember too, to get the 4500 voucher the new vehicle has to get way better gas mileage, than the car that's doomed.
A LOT of people still won't qualify either by the stips , or plain and simple, NO CAN DO!.:help:
Now if you combine the voucher, with a 3000 factory cash incentive, you have half the cost of a base Focus.
If you want to put a few of your own greenbacks to it, maybe match the rebate.
The amount of financing would be relatively small, especially if you kept it on the very very basic car.
I personally would rather drive a ten year ole' hot rod , than a focus, 4 cyl. fusion/milan , 4 cyl escape/mariner , I think a 4cyl stick ranger too.
If someone offers you something you need, :censor: 'n TAke It!!!:stupid: