PDA

View Full Version : going to buy a p71

LOWBUCKMM
06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
is a 2003 with 143k on it. i really wanted a panther for a dd so i found one today and i should have it by monday.its a preety sweet vic for the miles it was a old k-9 car for a army base in ky. it still has wig wags in the front and rear so it was a shoe in for me.

UncleLar
06-20-2009, 09:33 PM
For anyone in IL.,IA,WI,or IN.,if you're considering buying a P71 subscribe to these guys website and hit some of their larger auctions.
I attended one a couple weeks ago and 2004 P71's,probably the best year for P71's were going $2800 or less with less than 100K miles on them.The auction outfit is honest and if there are any known issues with the vehicles or other items they announce them as each vehicle is brought up.If you're going to buy a used cop car buy it for the same price the dealer that sells it to you is going to pay.

http://www.obenaufauctions.com/June27,2009.html

These are the prices paid at the auction I attended. http://www.obenaufauctions.com/June6,2009.html#catalog

MMARAUDER
06-20-2009, 09:42 PM
only one bad thing about buying a old k-9 car

TAKEDOWN
06-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Just can't get enough!

guccijayda
06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
is a 2003 with 143k on it. i really wanted a panther for a dd so i found one today and i should have it by monday.its a preety sweet vic for the miles it was a old k-9 car for a army base in ky. it still has wig wags in the front and rear so it was a shoe in for me.

I've owned several p71's and used to sell them for a living. There are many things to watch out for when buying a police interceptor especially when having to pass inspection. For me, I could get a cvpi 2003 with 143k miles in Decent condition for under 2g's EASY. Although I personally would only buy it for $1,000 with that much miles. So if a dealer ship or wherever your getting it from is asking for more then 3g's, screw it! Just my .02 cents. 03 with 143k miles at ANY auction will not go over $1500. Remember CVPI's at auctions is the best bang for the buck if you know what you are doing! After all, thats where all the taxis get them and look how many miles they got!

First off. If buying from a private seller.
Electricity( IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU CHECK ALL ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS, LIGHTS, HI -BEAMS, Loose wires everywhere etc). Many p71's have been jacked up to sell to the mainstream with loose connections everywhere and electrical issues. So make sure you get an ex-cvpi that is done right.
Make sure all door locks/unlocks work(Many cvpi's still have disabled rear door actuators but MAY be fixed easily.
Make sure there is a working Horn. (many police interceptors have no horn installed after removing all the police components!)
Lol oh yeah and def check the A/C... lol you know cops blast a/c 24/7! Alot of money will come out your pockets to diagnose a leak nevertheless fix it!

Im sure there are many other things im Missing but just use your good judgement. Used police interceptors have many interesting stories and problems with them that its just alot more work to look into but it pays off!

I've had cvpi's with headlights that dont work sometimes, one with no hi-beams, interior lights flicker on and off intermittantly, rear doors dont unlock(easy fix the actuator is usually hanging inside the door panel), millions of wires hanging loose under the hood, hot connections, you name it. Great car, just choose the right one! And a dealer will rip you off 3x the actual market price then auctions or private sellers! Dealers around here will charge you literally $7,000 for a cvpi with over 100k miles when it's actually worth only $2,000. They specifically bs you about cvpi's and try to resemble the price of a regular vic upcharging the hell out ofyou!!! And when time comes around when you have to sell it, you will only sell it for 2 maybe 3G's! Bargain with them like a pro if you get one from a dealer! LOL! Do at your own risk!

justbob
06-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks Lar, I saved the site.

guccijayda
06-21-2009, 02:00 AM
no problem

rayjay
06-21-2009, 03:17 AM
The only problem with buying a used police vehicle with high miles is it is usually beat to death. If you can find a agency that has "take home" units, those are usually taken better care of as the Member has a sense of ownership. We try to keep it to only three Members assigned to a vehicle. Even then they still get beat. It only takes one person with a bad additude. State highway patrol units from the interstates are also usually better taken care of and all highway miles. Supervisor units are generally better taken care of. Driving 30mph, constant stop & go, high idle time kills cars. Just my .02 from experience.

Vortex
06-21-2009, 05:46 AM
I started a new thread with a question on p71's.

RoyLPita
06-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I would remove the blower motor just to see how much dog hair is stuck to it. :eek:

MMARAUDER
06-21-2009, 05:09 PM
also with that car its gonna be hard to get the DOG gone smell outta it. lol sorry had to do it.

offroadkarter
06-21-2009, 05:25 PM
also with that car its gonna be hard to get the DOG gone smell outta it. lol sorry had to do it.

Thats already been said on the news about buying old cop cars "It'll be dog gone impossible to get the smell out" :rolleyes:

How much is the car your looking at. Anything over 3 grand is overpriced

bigjon
06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
personally, i would find a cheap low mileage civilian vic. even one a little older to get the price you want. find an hpp or a sport if you want one that will also be a little fun.

offroadkarter
06-21-2009, 08:39 PM
personally, i would find a cheap low mileage civilian vic. even one a little older to get the price you want. find an hpp or a sport if you want one that will also be a little fun.

Theres a 2000 HPP on ebay with 11k miles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-OWNR-11K-MILE-LEATHER-DUAL-PWR-LUMBAR-DIGITAL-DASH-NR_W0QQitemZ170345117428QQcmdZ ViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?ha sh=item27a95c36f4&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A 317|240%3A1308

LOWBUCKMM
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
i think im going to go to this http://www.obenaufauctions.com/June27,2009.html
and get a low mileage p71.

Zack
06-22-2009, 07:29 PM
http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39658

Quasar3210
06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Honestly for what I have seen these cars selling for that 98 is kind of high. I have seen very clean 2003's starting to go for that price.

I would stay away from the 2005's as it was the first year for the drive by wire throttle. I have never personally driven one but alot of people on CVN say that it has terrible throttle lag. It was also the ONLY Crown vic to have a rear quarter mounted Antenna. All other years 98-04 & 06-09 has antenna in rear window.

The common thinking on CVN is the 2004 seems to be the cream of the crop with the new suspension. And 1999 is the best with the old suspension. Although when your dealing with x squads just about anything could be wrong with them.

duhtroll
06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a 2000 CVPI for sale that has 143K on it, but only 89K on the motor...

Everything works and it is a carpeted detective model. This car is in fantastic shape, uses no fluids, tracks straight and runs quiet and smooth.

I have not listed it here for sale officially because I am listing it locally here first (Iowa). I don't need to sell it but I also don't need to keep it.

Just FYI for your CVPI shoppers out there. I have it priced at $2600 currently.

UncleLar
06-27-2009, 02:29 PM
The 2002's with the PI (Power Improved) motors and newer intake manifolds are nice,he!!,I've got one.I got mine for $3600,PI engine,3.27 gears with Trac Loc and it already had a ton of stuff done to it,new Bridgestone tires all around along with Edelbrock IAS shocks,new brakes with 2 new rotors,Addco rear sway bar,Ford AM/FM/CD player installed along with cruise control and Homelink,new Goodyear blue silicone hoses,trans flushed and screen changed,coolant system flush with new thermostat,etc.,etc.Oh yeah,I almost forgot,it had Magnaflow hi flo cats installed,all 4 of them,Magnaflow mufflers with a new H pipe system and Magnaflow tips too.Some of you have seen it and it's pretty decent and a not so often seen color.Maybe I can con Quasar into posting a pic of it here.
Here's a comparo of Sanco's 2004 P71 and my exhaust one night,mine is on the left and the first one you'll hear,Sanco's X pipe and 2 1/2" cat deleted system is on the right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEhftBGawlk
But the 2004's are THE ones to get,all the good stuff and none of the bad.
So,did you hit the auction and score one?