PDA

View Full Version : Mis-spelling thread:

O's Fan Rich
06-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Post your favorite word to mis-spell

Breaks....... for brakes

Egon Spengler
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't like mis-spelling any words... I always make sure I use the right spelling of a word in the right context

CBT
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
sucks..... for Sox. BLAM, eat it Cubs haters!!

Zack
06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Anything you want to see misspelled right here:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

imorb1994
06-23-2009, 07:15 AM
:lol:^^^^^^^^

sd8683
06-23-2009, 07:22 AM
I don't like mis-spelling any words... I always make sure I use the right spelling of a word in the right context

^^^^^+1^^^^^ I try to spell things correctly as best I can.

O's Fan Rich
06-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Ok then..... how about posting the misspells you hate the most?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
camero

Egon Spengler
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
they're there their.... those kill it for me.... I don't understand how hard it is to get them right!

They're going to pick up their Marauder over there!

Not that hard to figure out where each spelling goes!!!

Aren Jay
06-23-2009, 08:24 AM

Phrog_gunner
06-23-2009, 08:29 AM

So was "mis-spell" one of the other examples of your favorite words to misspell?;)

sd8683
06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I hate when people say, your an idiot, instead of you're an idiot. :D

BAD MERC
06-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I try like hell not to misspell but I see "Maurauder". "Murader" and my favorite: On my MM.net lanyard.... "MARARAUDER"!!!

SC Cheesehead
06-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Breaks....... for brakes

Or:

poop instead of poop.

guspech750
06-23-2009, 08:59 AM
a lot of people tend to say the word "are" in place of "our". even in movies, radio, and tv. just listen to people. its quite funny.

the word too is often not used when it should be.

sd8683
06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Another one I hate, people often mix up the word "lose" with the word "loose" and use it in the wrong context.

2,4shofast
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I always write your instead of you're... Not sure why but it happens constantly.

Joe Walsh
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Rich you started this 'tread'.

gilby04
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
they're there their.... those kill it for me.... I don't understand how hard it is to get them right!

They're going to pick up their Marauder over there!

Not that hard to figure out where each spelling goes!!!

Completely agree...homonyms are annoying offenders.
Most often, however, the offending word is not misspelled, but misused.
Another annoying offender is using "then" for "than" when making comparisons.
Making things worse is selecting the correct infinitive to use when deciding "to take" rather than "to bring".

BAD MERC
06-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Another one I hate, people often mix up the word "lose" with the word "loose" and use it in the wrong context.

Oh god - quit being such a looser.:)

03calitejas
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I know it's annoying to people but I think in a forum like this most folks tend to type as they would speak and not fuss too much over the spelling.

Being an older guy from Chicago I tend to dangle participles constantly. My Fiance hounds me a lot because I say things like "Where are you going to? (the "to" is just dangling there) but it just sounds correct to my ears...Even worse is "Where is it AT?...the "AT" hurts her ears and she barks "AT AT AT" at me....sounds like the lil green men in Mars Attacks...so now I do it even more :D

O's Fan Rich
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
So was "mis-spell" one of the other examples of your favorite words to misspell?;)

awesome!:banana2:

xopher
06-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot see

Eye strike a key and type a word
and weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or write
It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it
I’m shore your pleased two no
It’s letter perfect in it’s weigh
My chequer told me sow.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh118/xopherwhite/misspelledAP0609_468x311.jpg

edit: that was a good post 400! :D

sd8683
06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/hobo_shoes/badspellingshamwow.gif

Aren Jay
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM

hot-rauder
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
insurance, assurance.....

It bugs me when people use "alot", or forget puncuation when they introduce themselves to the forum, or have a problem.

They write this long essay about how glad they are to be a part of the forum and how great their car is of course we all know it's a Marauder but he tells you it has SS inserts flowmsater mufflers and a K&N intake yet the entire time they compose this long rambling piece of crap introduction puncuation is entirely neglected however the dont forget to put one last period at the end of the sentence.

justbob
06-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I gott nothing two add here.

hot-rauder
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
I gott nothing two add here.

Nothin usefull fore us?

magindat
06-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Anything you want to see misspelled right here:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

How did I know exactly where the link was headed before I clicked it?

magindat
06-24-2009, 06:10 AM
"MARARAUDER"!!! Sounds like is has a low battery trying to start when you say that out loud!!!
:lol:

PhastPhil
06-24-2009, 08:22 AM
One of my pet peeves is when someone writes I should of, would of, or I could of, when it should be should've, would've, or could've. They type it the way it sounds when they say it.

One thing that I purposely do wrong when typing online is, I sometimes purposely put a space between a word and a punctuation mark or the parenthesis icon because to me it looks too close. For example the question mark? It looks too close to word. So I separate it like this ? (the same thing goes for the parenthesis )

Aren Jay
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Cheeseheadbob
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Contractions should not be used in formal writing. If you are using a colloquial (characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing; informal) context, then by all means contract away. I rarely use contractions in speech and people sometimes look at me funny, but I guess I am a militant when it comes to correct grammar, diction and writing. Or maybe they laugh at me because I wore these pants yesterday playing golf. Oh, and one more thing... lay and lie. The main difference between the two words is that lay is a transitive verb, while lie is an intransitive verb. A transitive verb is one that takes a direct object. In other words, there is something that the action of the verb is being done to: Please lay the book on the table.

Verb InfinitivePast TensePastParticiple
lie lie lay lain
lay lay laid laid

End of the lesson for today.

One of my pet peeves is when someone writes I should of, would of, or I could of, when it should be should've, would've, or could've. They type it the way it sounds when they say it.

Joe Walsh
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Contractions should not be used in formal writing. If you are using a colloquial (characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing; informal) context, then by all means contract away. I rarely use contractions in speech and people sometimes look at me funny, but I guess I am a militant when it comes to correct grammar, diction and writing. Or maybe they laugh at me because I wore these pants yesterday playing golf.

Good strategy Bob!
I bet that those 'pants' caused your golfing partners to shank a few drives and to miss a bunch of putts!

BTW: Do those pants come with a volume knob?

Cheeseheadbob
06-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes they do. It STARTS at 11!:D

BTW: Do those pants come with a volume knob?

Joe Walsh
06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes they do. It STARTS at 11!:D

Awesome Dude!

PhastPhil
06-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I think a lot of the newspapers are guilty of promting bad writing and or word usage. At least here in New York. They will say he Dived into the water. Shouldn't be, he dove into the water ? Another one, He drunk a glass of water, instead of he drank a glass of water. Also, they describe every neighborhood as a Tony Neighborhood. What the heck is that ? Is everybody in the neighborhood named Tony ?

4rgone
06-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I have always had a hard time spelling, but I do what I can for this site (or is it sight) my big problem though is, simply using the wrong word. "THAN, THEN". When I focus real hard I can get it correct, but then (ha ha) I screw up other words.

Dr Caleb
06-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Also those who forget it is Dr. Caleb and I, not Me and Dr. Caleb.

An abbreviation is denoted by a '.'. I deliberately leave out the '.' from my user name, so as to not to imply whether or not I hold a Doctoral degree in anything. It just goes against my personal policy of not revealing personal details on the Intertubes. Also really advantageous when some troll decides he's going to try to use that 'fact' to get a rise out of me. :)

Easiest way to handle contractions properly is to say them fully. "you're" is short for "you are", so use 'you are' in the sentence, and if it doesn't make sense you got it wrong.

"You're breaks are squealing" -> "Your are brakes are squealing" . . . nope wrong "you're". Wrong 'brakes' too. hehe Shoulda called TCE.

TAKEDOWN
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
effect vs. affect