PDA

View Full Version : Speed Trap: What a Police Officer Uses to Catch You

ctrlraven
06-25-2009, 09:24 AM
http://autos.aol.com/article/speed-traps

Know How They Catch You Speeding
by Kevin Ransom | AOL Autos

Of course no one likes getting a speeding ticket, and who hasn't cried out, "You gotta be kidding me!" upon learning that a heavy foot just lightened your wallet by $150 or $200? But the sad truth is, the best way to avoid that kind of a bite is to just slow down, because police officers -- whether they be city cops, state troopers or county sheriff's deputies -- definitely have technology on their side.

At this point in the history of highway driving, everyone knows that the most popular police speed traps employ good old-fashioned radar. In this scenario, of course, a police officer will stealthily park his or her police car out of the view of oncoming motorists, perhaps under an overpass, in a ditch in the middle of the freeway or behind a billboard.

Then, the police officer will flip on a radar unit that transmits radio waves at particular frequencies. The waves bounce off the target, in this case, a car that the police officer thinks is speeding, and those waves are then picked up by a receiver. The shift in frequencies tells the police officer how fast the car is going.

In recent years, however, more and more police departments have been using laser guns, either in addition to or instead of radar. "We began using the laser guns about 10 years ago," says one former police officer from a midwestern state, who asked that we not use his real name. We'll call him Jack.

"They're actually more efficient than radar. The laser guns can pinpoint a specific car much more accurately," says Jack. The other advantage to using a laser gun is that the laser light can't be detected by those pricey radar detectors often used by drivers who would really rather speed with impunity -- or is that immunity?

One of the more sly methods that police officers use to detect hot-footing motorists is aerial detection. Typically, this is done by painting white lines at either end of a stretch of highway-- usually a quarter-mile or half-mile long. A police officer in a helicopter or plane will time how long it takes the driver to travel the distance between the lines. "That allows the spotter to calculate the driver's speed," says Jack. "He can then just call ahead to an officer in a patrol car on the ground that's another two or three miles down the highway, and tell him, 'green Taurus, left lane.'"

In another aerial speed-detection technique, the police officer simply does a visual estimate of the speed of the cars below, and compares it to the "ground speed" of the helicopter based on using visual targets along the highway.

There is yet another method to catch speeders, and it doesn't require a police officer to be physically present at the speed trap location. Speed cameras are attached to lampposts or telephone poles and are programmed to snap photos of speeding vehicles. While speed cameras have been employed on a comparatively limited basis in the United States, they've been used more extensively in Europe, Canada and other parts of the world for more than 30 years, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

This method can deliver a delayed shock to the system of a speeder, since the driver isn't pulled over on the spot. He won't know that he's gotten a speeding ticket until he receives the eye-popping infraction notice in the mail. If you have a problem controlling your tongue in the presence of a police officer who has just written you a $200 speeding ticket, this ticketing system might be your favorite.

Sometimes, the best enforcement of speed limits is a not-so-subtle reminder in the form of the electronic speed boards you see alongside a highway that flash big, bright, white-hot numbers in your face to let you know how fast you're going. These boards also employ radar.

"The radar unit sees the target, transmits the radio waves, they bounce back, and tell the drivers how fast they're going," says Jack. "We used to think of those speed boards as being more of an 'awareness program,' because they reminded people how fast they were going. A lot of drivers really don't know how fast they're going, so these speed boards essentially are a means of urging voluntary compliance."

And, according to Jack, that's the main point of enforcing speed limits via speed traps. While traffic fines do augment revenues for the city, state or country, that's not why speed traps are set up, says Jack. "That's a myth that we had quotas on how many traffic tickets we had to write in a single month. We just want people to obey the speed limit, because it's for their own safety," says Jack. "The main reason for setting up a speed trap, whether it's radar, laser or aerial monitoring, is simply to encourage voluntary compliance of the law," says Jack.

"And we never cared if someone called in a radio station and says, 'Oh, there's a speed trap set up on such-and-such a road,' because it achieved the same result as a motorist seeing a cop writing someone a ticket. It got people to slow down."

(Ed. Note: Based on reader reaction to the statement about quotas we consulted a second police officer, a highway patrolman in the southwest, and he offered the same answer, "We didn't have quotas, either." said Carl, whose name was changed for reasons of anonymity. "In my experience, speeding-citation revenues were not a great portion of municipal revenue. Speed enforcement is for the benefit of the public -- to reduce the number of accidents, especially fatal accidents. Unfortunately, drivers think they know best what they should be able to do, and choose convenience over caution." It is possible quotas are enforced in some states or districts and not in others, like Jack's or Carl's.)

Phrog_gunner
06-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I usually set the cruise control to like 8 over and rarely even get a second look going through speed traps without slowing down.

CBT
06-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Had an Officer tell me "Up to 9, you're doing fine. Over 9, we start to mind."

Phrog_gunner
06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Had an Officer tell me "Up to 9, you're doing fine. Over 9, we start to mind."

Yeah, every big 96 we have NC state troopers come talk to us about speeding and safety. I'll never forget the one who went on a half hour about "I just washed my car, do you think I'm going to slam on the brakes, drive through the median throwing rocks up all over the back of my car..............to give you a ticket for less than 10 over??"

CBT
06-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I will not miss those redundant and totally useless safety standowns and briefs.

Phrog_gunner
06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Me either, but now they are starting to show some sweet pics of ppls heads crushed open and brains splattered all over....

And before I jinx this thread....Speed is bad mmmmmmmmkay?

O's Fan Rich
06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I always obey the posted limit.

That's how I avoid tickets.

lol......

CBT
06-25-2009, 10:12 AM

lol......

Yeah, right! Uh..me too.

Phrog_gunner
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM

Don't be modest, you show the trooper a little leg, like in your avatar, don't you??

Pops
06-25-2009, 10:17 AM
:eek: :shake:

justbob
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
We've already seen his legs, lets not go there anymore please.

O's Fan Rich
06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Don't be modest, you show the trooper a little leg, like in your avatar, don't you??

Yep.... I keep it under the passenger seat!!

Peace2Peep
06-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Quotas have and always will exist.

ts-pa
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
And, according to Jack, that's the main point of enforcing speed limits via speed traps. While traffic fines do augment revenues for the city, state or country, that's not why speed traps are set up, says Jack. "That's a myth that we had quotas on how many traffic tickets we had to write in a single month. We just want people to obey the speed limit, because it's for their own safety," says Jack. "The main reason for setting up a speed trap, whether it's radar, laser or aerial monitoring, is simply to encourage voluntary compliance of the law," says Jack.

I'll call baloney on this one.

I know an officer that told me that "overtime" paid to his dept. from the state for speed control requires three stops per hour minimum. Sounds like a quota to me.

If they really want compliance, adhere to the "85th percentile" when they set speed limits.

duhtroll
06-25-2009, 05:16 PM
If it were about safety they would be sitting in school zones and mall parking lots instead of behind bushes on highway onramps.

Ever notice safety becomes 3000% more important when it is sunny and 70 degrees?

SID210SA
06-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Along with sitting at an underpass or out of sight or from the air they also hide on top of the overpass or bridge....using LIDAR one officer sits over the highway and lights people up, then calls to awaiting officer at the next on ramp to pull over speeding vehicles.

Badger
06-26-2009, 05:46 AM
I only speed when it's raining and RADAR and laser are far less effective. So you see all of that mumbo jumbo about changing a drivers behavior just backfired. :D

Aren Jay
06-26-2009, 11:21 AM

rayjay
06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Jackos dead?

DEFYANT
06-26-2009, 04:03 PM
No quotas here. Myth busted.

Phrog_gunner
06-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think these guys even understand what is meant by quota.

rayjay
06-27-2009, 06:59 AM
No quotas here either.

Btw, Jackos dead...

SC Cheesehead
06-27-2009, 07:07 AM
No quotas here either.

Btw, Jackos dead...

Jacko's dead? When did this happen, and why was I not copied on the memo?

scruff
06-27-2009, 07:22 PM
wacko jacko is dead

ts-pa
07-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I meant no disrespect for our fellow members here who are officers with my previous and current posts.

It just ticks me off to be hit with a fines and points for barely going over the speed limits, which are set too low to begin with.

For example...most people drive in the Walmart parking lot faster than what is posted on the nearby road.
Another example...a school is adjacent to two roads, one is set to 15mph school zone speed, the other is 25mph, take a guess as to which one is closer to the school? Take another guess as to which one has the speed trap.

The "quota" mentioned was for "State paid overtime to a local dept". Yes, I do know the definition of "quota" ;) The State paid overtime is when this local LEO's are out in force doing speed traps. No myth, I know the officer personally.

MrBluGruv
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Texas state troopers are notorious for making a big thing from nothing.
I live in county territory myself, and it just so happens that troopers for a long time had used my road as part of a cut-through between I-10 and I-35, and on this road I was once pulled over for "going 49 in a 45". I cannot begin to describe how livid I was. I've actually been stopped twice on my road by the DPS officers for that stupid b s, and it only tweaks me more when I'm actually doing 45 and getting passed by others that live out here.

I've come to believe that you will be most likely to receive a citation of whatever kind from law enforcement agencies that protect you the least.

FormulaMarauder
07-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Quotas have and always will exist.
:shake:

Really, because the last three years in patrol I didn't write ONE SINGLE ticket. We were encouraged to conduct proactive motor vehicle stops on down time between calls, (rarely being a city cop), but nobody was ever told that we were REQUIRED to write tickets.
My current partner in the Detective bureau was a former NYPD officer, he told me that he was so busy he would just pull up to people, give them a little tongue lashing, then move on.

CBT
07-01-2009, 10:06 AM
:shake:
pull up to people, give them a little tongue lashing, then move on.

You just described 95 percent of the women I used to....date.:D

FormulaMarauder
07-01-2009, 10:15 AM
The "quota" mentioned was for "State paid overtime to a local dept". Yes, I do know the definition of "quota" ;) The State paid overtime is when this local LEO's are out in force doing speed traps. No myth, I know the officer personally.

I love it how people always "know someone" but don't have the experience or knowledge first hand. :shake: Grant overtime for traffic enforcement, whether it be Fed, State, or local money doesn't require monetary return. If 6 officers were on this grant overtime, pull over 60 cars and give all verbal warnings, then its the same as if they write 60 tickets. NO DIFFERENCE.

IF a supervisor ORDERS his officers to WRITE infraction tickets, then the Sergeant can lose his state or local certification for violating the code of ethics. Police Departments dont see ANY money from traffic ticket revenue.

Myth, myth, myth.

If it makes you more comfortable thinking that you got a ticket because it was the "end of the month," or the cop needed to "fill his quota" then more power to you living in a dillusional world.

If there were "quotas" then why would officers give verbal or written warnings at all? It wouldn't exist and would not be an option.

I remember at roll call a few years ago, a Sergeant saying, "Hey listen, the state bumped up the fine schedule in the Title 14 motor vehicle statutes again. Some of these people lose a whole days pay by running a light or a stop sign on their way home or late to pick up their kids. You aren't required to give them tickets, just use your discretion."

Some departments sign out their ticket books and have to account for them all, so once a ticket is started, they have to finish or void it out if they make a mistake. If they do void it out, there has to be a replacement ticket issued.

Hope this puts your myth to rest.

CBT
07-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't know if there is a quota for giving tickets, but i've gotten more warnings than tickets, I think because I am polite and tell the truth. So maybe there is a warning quota, lol. "Do you know why I pulled you over?" "Yessir, speeding" etc. etc. I've had officers say "well at least you're honest, hang on a sec while I run your info, okay you're clean, slow down dumbass", something to that affect. My theory is: Cops catch law breakers, if I get caught speeding/breaking the law, why get mad at them for doin thier job?

ts-pa
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
OK, I spoke to my LEO friend again. He said that the 2-3 ticket stops per hour is unofficial and is just used as a gauge to see that the officer is working and not just sitting there. So I stand corrected, it's not a quota as he led me to believe. This same friend asked me, "why do I race around town?". I asked what he meant by that question. He said, "I hear you long before I see you passing me". I proceeded to explain about my cars setup. It seemed like I was speaking a foreign tongue to him. In the end, he understood that my car is loud and I'm not actually speeding (otherwise he would be ticketing me everytime I passed him). He advised me to coast through the known speed trap areas where other LEO's might assume I'm speeding.

As for my disdain for the other two local depts. seeming to "trap" drivers, they do indeed ramp up stops at the end of the month. I've been observing this activity since 1990! The calender and my observations over the years are not a myth when it comes to these two depts. This is for certain...if is the last week of the month or a holiday weekend, they are far more likely to be there waiting. So it is easy to think that there might be a quota system in place when they operate in that manner.

I'm more ticked off at these depts. constant harrassing of motorist in these areas.
The roads are narrow and these stops slow down traffic to a crawl (10-15 under posted speed). BTW, I was only stopped once by one of the depts. mentioned. The officer seemed compelled to write the ticket in a fashion as a "no points violation", but with fines intact. He was almost apologetic for stopping me. When he handed me the ticket he asked "Why did you apply your brakes when you passed me?" I responded "I always apply the brakes when I see an officer since I'm not always eyeballing the speedometer". Maybe he assumed I was speeding? Regardless, I paid the fine since I didn't feel like missing work to go to court.

As I said before, I don't have a beef with LEO's in general. It is a tough job dealing with various types of people.

Windsor58
07-10-2009, 02:28 AM
I've been stopped 3 times, since I got my MM. Twice was for speeding. Both times it was for 8 over, and that is what I was doing (had the cruise set on 8 over). I thought 8 over would not be enough to attract attention, but there are always other factors that will influence an officer's actions. One time, I was 8 over and out of state. I'd bet a large amount of cash that if I had in-state plates I would not have been pulled over. The other time was in-state, but the extenuating cicumstance in that case was that there was some patches of ice ahead and the officer was just trying to slow everyone down. I got warnings both times from very courteous and professional officers. The third stop was for having tinted license plate covers. I got a ticket for that one, but even in that case the officer gave me a break. The ticket for covers was over $120, so he wrote me for "obscured" plates (normally used for mud, snow, etc covering the plate) - less than $30.

On the topic of quotas, they do exist but are getting more rare. The larger (and more professional) the department the less likely the chance of quotas. Also, many people will say that there are no quotas. But, they know that if they fall short of the goals that are set, they will receive "feedback". It's a word game. They can say there are no quotas because they call them something else, like "expectations", or goals, or just don't use any term to describe it. They just make known an expectation that a certain number of tickets will be written, per officer. Again, these are exceptions and not the rule. Even where there are "expectations" set, it is still up to the officer's discretion whether to issue a warning or ticket when they do make a stop. Your attitude can have an impact on that discretion. Be polite. Follow directions. Keep your hands where the officer can easily see them (I put them on the upper left rim of the steering wheel). Don't have anything in your hands (put your cell phone and/or wallet down). Turn the stereo off. If you have tinted windows, roll the front and back windows down on the side the officer is approaching so that they can see into the car and tell if there is a threat to them. When you stop, pull as far to the right as possible so that the officer has more room between the car and passing traffic.
Every little thing you can do to make the officer's job easier, safer and/or less stressful, could potentially influence the officer to go easier on you.

Bigdogjim
07-10-2009, 04:04 AM
First off the ONLY reason to write a ticket is MONEY. After 3,000,000 miles I know this to be true! And as far as setting cruise 8 over the posted well I have be ticketed (New Jersey turnpike) at 2 over dry weather, light traffic, mid-afternoon. Tickets are a "cash cow" live with it.

GAMike
07-10-2009, 04:39 AM
Formula has it correct in MA. Once a ticket is started, they finish it. You have to availe yourself to the officer before he starts that process. (when I lived in MA I had alot of experience with many different jurisdictions, they all used this rule. I did however get lucky once or twice:o)

Just like in any other profession, you are going to have people who car about what they do, and how they do it, and you are going to have people who wear the uniform, but really don't deserve to because of there lack of professionalism, consistently being a bully or whatever.

A citizen will interpert who should wear the uniform based on the benefit that the officer provides to him/her personally. The officers superior has different criteria obviously.

Its a tough job having so many bosses...............

That said we all know there are written rules in law enforcement, and in some jurisdictions, there are unwritten wink wink rules to operate by as a LEO. Its whats expected by the dept that matters for job security. Its part of the job either you accept those terms and conditions or find another dept(provided you get a favorable reccomendation from your previous dept). For a LEO to make a blanket statement that there is absolutely no quota's in any agency that gives speeding tickets? Well that is just as naive as a citizen claiming all agencies have quotas. The truth as usual is somewhere in the middle.:burnout: