PDA

View Full Version : Mike Vick got a new job

CBT
07-01-2009, 10:00 AM
I love doggies as much as the next person, but I think Vick got a raw deal. Hopefully his new job isn't just a publicity stunt. Thoughts?

Vick changes job to work
with kids

Updated: Wednesday, 01 Jul 2009, 8:24 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 30 Jun 2009, 4:50 PM EDT

NORFOLK, Va. - Suspended NFL quarterback Michael Vick is leaving his construction job and will begin working for the Boys & Girls Clubs.
The President and CEO of the Boys & Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula, Steve Kast said Tuesday, "I would like to confirm that Boys and Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula, in cooperation with the U.S. Federal Probation office in Virginia, has agreed to permit Michael Vick, a 12-year member, to fulfill a portion of his probationary requirements by working this summer at our Greater Hampton Roads facility, where he belonged as a youth."
Even before the official confirmation, children in nearby neighborhoods who use the Boys & Girls Club at Hampton and Jefferson Avenues were spreading the word. Betty Barnes said her 12-year-old son ran into the house and said, "Guess what, guess what, Michael Vick is going over at the Boys Club!"
Kast said the decision was made after consulting with board and staff members, community leaders, and parents.
"We think he can have an impact on our children because of some of the decisions he has made, and his ability to deliver a message to our young folks," Kast said.
One of those decisions is the very reason the suspended NFL quarterback is working for $9 dollars an hour at the club. Vick is still serving a federal sentence for bank rolling a dogfighting operation. Having a job is one condition that allowed his transfer from prison to home confinement.
Adults and children told WAVY.com Michael Vick and his family are part of their families. After all, Vick spent 12 years as a member at the club where he played football and was mentored by adults.
Barnes said, "He's still going to be a good influence regardless of the things he did, or [has] done. I think he's paid for that and kids are still gonna love Michael Vick."
"Michael Vick has donated a lot of time and money to that boys club for these kids," Barnes said, referring to Thanksgiving Day giveaways at the Boys & Girls Club that were funded and hosted by Michael Vick and his family.
Kast said Vick's role will be to help with health and fitness, as well as general programs at the Boys & Girls Club. He said there may be a time when he works at one of the organization's other 14 facilities, but for now the plan is for him to work at the Hampton Avenue location.
Kast said he expects Vick to continue working for the organization until at least July 20.
Before starting his new job, Vick was working at a local construction company for $10 an hour.

Haggis
07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I love doggies as much as the next person, but I think Vick got a raw deal. Hopefully his new job isn't just a publicity stunt. Thoughts?

I think he got a slap on the wrist.

Did you ever do that burnout in front of his house?

CBT
07-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I think he got a slap on the wrist.

Dante Stallworth anyone? Ray "Smooth Criminal" Lewis? Like I said, I like doggies, but jeez.

Did you ever do that burnout in front of his house?

Naw, too much media camped out with cameras at the ready. Plus, there's only one way in and one way out. I'd hate to rip treads and then see a cruiser turn down the street, cause they have done drivebys everyday, a few times a day, making sure the PETA folks aren't being a nuisance.

Haggis
07-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Naw, too much media camped out with cameras at the ready. Plus, there's only one way in and one way out. I'd hate to rip treads and then see a cruiser turn down the street, cause they have done drivebys everyday, a few times a day, making sure the PETA folks aren't being a nuisance.

"well at least you're honest, hang on a sec while I run your info, okay you're clean, slow down dumbass".

What you worried about....dumbass?

CBT
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
What you worried about....dumbass?

That made be bust out laughing enough to make my co workers ask what's up. :P

Haggis
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
That made be bust out laughing enough to make my co workers ask what's up. :P

Well dumbass, how about it. You said you were going to do it.

CBT
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Well dumbass, how about it. You said you were going to do it.

Oh I will. When there is less media and law enforcement present! I may not be smart but I ain't stupid.

Haggis
07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Oh I will. When there is less media and law enforcement present! I may not be smart but I ain't stupid.

Ok, good enough; remember to get pics. ;)

Dumbass!!!! :rofl:

LIGHTNIN1
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm going to send my 12 yr. old over there so he can learn dog fighting from the best. Wonder if they are going to require Vick to go to a 12 step Dogfighters Anonymous program?:rofl:

Vortex
07-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I cant think of a finer place for that scumbag to go on the entire earth; Norfolk, Virginia. I spent the mid-70's there in the Navy; Id rather go back to Bombay, India for three more years than spend another week in Norfolk.

duhtroll
07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I think they let him work with kids because kids usually don't fight to the death, even for treats.

Safer bet.