PDA

View Full Version : No Texting in Virginia

Bluerauder
07-04-2009, 04:41 AM
As of 1 July 2009, Virginia has made it an offense to "text" while driving. It is not a primary offense, so you will only be ticketed if you get pulled over for another offense while operating a vehicle. Not sure how the Virginia State police are going to tell the difference between regular cell phone use and "texting" or just dialing on a cellphone. We'll have to see whether this has any effect on driver's in Northern Virginia. I suspect more than half of the drivers here in NoVa are addicted to their digital pacifiers. Personally, I think it is the high tech version of Thumbsucking that gives comfort to these chronically insecure people who must be in touch with someone all the time. :rolleyes:

Ya'll be careful on I-95 when passing through Virginia. You know how we love to catch those folks with out of state plates. :D

Badger
07-04-2009, 05:12 AM
^^Yup. Let the games begin!

Bigdogjim
07-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Got my vote! Texting is very wide spread and way over used in my book. Texting while driving is worse the talking on a phone while driving! Think about it.

Bluerauder
07-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Got my vote! Texting is very wide spread and way over used in my book. Texting while driving is worse the talking on a phone while driving! Think about it.
According to the Car & Driver experiment, "Texting" is 4 times worse than Drunk Driving as far as reaction times. Get behind a texter and see if the symptoms of drunk driving are very similar.

Bigdogjim
07-04-2009, 07:40 AM
According to the Car & Driver experiment, "Texting" is 4 times worse than Drunk Driving as far as reaction times. Get
behind a texter and see if the symptoms of drunk driving are very similar.

That afternon on the commuter bus out of DC if I was texting I would not started a big stink on the bus:rofl:

KillJoy
07-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Good for VA! There is no reason to txt while driving....

:up:

KillJoy

MM03MOK
07-04-2009, 08:18 AM
According to the Car & Driver experiment, "Texting" is 4 times worse than Drunk Driving as far as reaction times. Get behind a texter and see if the symptoms of drunk driving are very similar.
I was behind a driver 2 months ago that was weaving, speeding up and slowing down in the high speed lane. I called it in and was following them for 20 min. before the State Police caught up with us. Yep, driving while texting. Had a friend at the SP look up the incident. Same erratic operations as a drunk driver.

DJCV
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I really cannot understand why anyone would even THINK about attempting to text while driving.

ctrlraven
07-04-2009, 01:35 PM
It's illegal for texting here in MD also and I think if it contributes to an accidents there is a higher fine or some other stuff that comes with it.

DOOM
07-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I didn't know it was illegal to text in maryland. :confused:

ImpalaSlayer
07-04-2009, 06:04 PM

im 20 years old and couldnt agree more. i hate people who sit there an text constantly!!! it drives me insane! :mad2:

ctrlraven
07-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I didn't know it was illegal to text in maryland. :confused: It just recently became a law in the past 2 months I believe.

DOOM
07-04-2009, 06:17 PM
We all need video phones. Like the jetsons :up:

Mac-MerC
07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I really cannot understand why anyone would even THINK about attempting to text while driving.

cuz they dont feel like callin the person