PDA

View Full Version : Ford Edge, any good?

Motorhead350
07-04-2009, 07:37 PM
My aunts lease is ending on her BMW 5 Series and is considering getting a Ford Edge. I think it's ugly as top 20 music, but the quality is what I am asking about.

Is it a good vehicle?

Thanks.

Ms. Denmark
07-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I test drove one and it was very vanilla. Don't know anyone who owns one so can't speak to the quality issue. But you're right about ugly!

UncleLar
07-05-2009, 03:11 AM
I'll ask my friend for you Dom,I believe he's had an Edge for almost a year now,he switched down from a CV when the Vics lease ran out and commutes from Mundelein every day.
My second ex's aunt switched from Grand Marquis's to a Mercury Milan with AWD a while back and she loves that car,and her middle name is road trip,it only takes her about 3 years to put 100K miles on a car!

Mike Poore
07-05-2009, 04:39 AM
We drove the Lincoln version, an MK whatever, and I liked it, but Barb hated it. She's a small person and to her, visibility, is a huge issue. So far as build quality and reliability are concerned, only time will tell; but Ford, it seems, is doing an excellent job these days. Unlike the wonderful Aviator, it's supposed to have replaced, a chick-mobile, it ain't.

Auntie may want to take a look at whatever the 500 morphed into. :)

O's Fan Rich
07-05-2009, 04:43 AM
I drive a Lincoln MKX every day.

AWD.... 20 mpg, plenty of power and an excellent awd system.

Lots of room.....love it.

But as soon as possible..... a Taurus SHO replaces it.

joemama
07-05-2009, 05:19 AM
I bought the wife an edge (07) when they first came out and 30K miles later, no problems, not a squeak or rattle, very surefooted and great in the snow. The vista sunroof is way cool too. The 3.5l six speed can really get you out in traffic too, if need be. We love it.

jgc61sr2002
07-05-2009, 07:50 AM
A friend of mine just traded an Edge for an M5.
He likes the BMW better.

Ms. Denmark
07-05-2009, 07:57 AM
...switched from Grand Marquis's to a Mercury Milan with AWD.....1+ on the Milan AWD. My friend traded her Mountaineer for one and absolutely loves it as her DD.

SC Cheesehead
07-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I've had a couple Edge rentals and like them. A "chick magnet" it ain't but have been impressed with the overall quality and driveability of the vehicle.

UncleLar
07-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Dom,here's what my buddy had to say about his Edge.Sorry about the caps.
"THERE IS REALLY NOTHING THAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT, LOVE THE ROOM & THE HEIGHT OF IT. THE AWD IS GREAT, COULD USE A LITTLE BIGGER STORAGE AREA IN BACK BUT THAT ALWAYS SEEMS TO WORK. IF YOUR FRIEND WANTS TO BUY ONE LET (his wife's name) KNOW AND SHE CAN GET HIM A FRIENDS AND FAMILY PLAN DEAL. THAT WAY THE DEALER CANT SCREW HIM OVER. I RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE A LOT BUT YOUR FRIENDS TASTE MAY DIFFER. I WILL GET THIS CAR AGAIN WHEN MY LEASE IS UP.!!!!"
If your Aunt wants one let me know and we'll hook her up with my bud's wife for the discount.

DJCV
07-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I ended up renting one a few months back, so my opinion is not one of an owner, as I drove it only for 2 days but drove it over 300 miles.

In any event, I found the driving experience in the Edge very awkward----could not get comfortable in the seat no matter what; the visibility was so-so at best; the power delivery was less than confidence-inspiring; and general maneuvering (including parking) was surprisingly difficult as I couldn't easily gauge the corners of the vehicle by sight-line or by mirrors.

Who would have thought that the huge, long-in-the-tooth, good ol' CV would be better in every single respect? :coolman: