PDA

View Full Version : Super Police Car...

MM2004
07-05-2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/07/04/holmes.super.police.car.cnn

Mike.

justbob
07-05-2009, 08:02 AM
So what does she put to the wheels? Thats all I want to know.

GreekGod
07-05-2009, 08:28 AM
link:

http://carbonmotors.com/

"Fuel efficient 300 horsepower, 420 lb-ft of torque clean turbodiesel engine"

High purchase price may limit sales, time will tell.

Vortex
07-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Basically a modified 300C, which is the same car as the Charger, which already has a police package. Why pay more for a car that is more expensive from an unproven supplier? At least for now the CVPI is still the best allround available (yes, I know the hemi Mopar is faster, but it doesnt have the interior width or the toughness of a full frame.)

Glockafella
07-05-2009, 08:52 AM
TO pricey, nice but to much $ for most departments to afford. My department buys state trooper CVPI leftovers w/ 45K miles on them for less than 10K a piece.

Love the suicide doors in the back, great for prisoner transport, but bad for a place to hide behind.

252life
07-05-2009, 10:51 AM
A modified Chrysler 300C CRD Diesel? Here they are popular as Taxis because they have Mercedes drivetrain and engine = very reliable and fuel efficient.

Interesting to read on their website that one of Carbon Motors goals is to "cut the approximately 1.5 billion gallons of gasoline the nation’s law enforcement fleet burns through every year by an estimated 40%"
And with gas prices not getting cheaper in the future, this might also be a cost effective way to go in the long run despite it's higher initial purchase price.

And I wonder how did they come up with the name "Carbon motors", makes me think of "carbon footprint"

DEFYANT
07-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Ford needs to take notice. Rework the CVPI to include the police equipment at a cheeper price. The CVPI is bought and paid for. It costs little to produce. And is proven. I'd love to put one through it's paces.

Rocknthehawk
07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
too much $$

what happens when you bump another car?

CVPI's are a dime a dozen and easy to repair....K.I.S.S.

DOOM
07-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Long live the mighty vic :nworthy:

TAKEDOWN
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Long live the mighty vic :nworthy:

I agree D00M, but the Chevy Tahoes are slowly taking over here in Chicago.

Glockafella
07-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Mo state HP has them as well...May have a mini breath analizer station in the back.

MarauderVOL
07-05-2009, 04:42 PM
The department I work for starting buying V6 Impalas in 2004. They went with what ever was cheaper since the city has to purchase 90+ a year. I miss my 99 Crown Vic.

Donny Carlson
07-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Ford needs to take notice. Rework the CVPI to include the police equipment at a cheeper price. The CVPI is bought and paid for. It costs little to produce. And is proven. I'd love to put one through it's paces.

Exactly. Put in the high tech touch screen computer and other police specific equipment, install LED light bars flush with the body work, and you'd have a direct competitor to this car, which apparently won't be available until 2012. Carbon Motors needs to build 1,000 of these and loan them out to various police departments for field testing and shake down, then offer them at a competitive price or some kind of lease that makes the cost attractive to budget strapped departments.

Ford could kick the crap out this company without a huge investment.

Donny Carlson
07-05-2009, 06:05 PM

Hoover, AL PD converted to all Tahoes for police cruisers two years ago.

wchain
07-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Basically a modified 300C, which is the same car as the Charger, which already has a police package. Why pay more for a car that is more expensive from an unproven supplier? At least for now the CVPI is still the best allround available (yes, I know the hemi Mopar is faster, but it doesnt have the interior width or the toughness of a full frame.)

Where did you hear that it shares the LX platform? Just curious.

As far as the motor goes, last time it was still "TBD" to who would supply the engine.

The department I work for starting buying V6 Impalas in 2004. They went with what ever was cheaper since the city has to purchase 90+ a year. I miss my 99 Crown Vic.
Houston PD buys Vics still but we have about 2 dozen Hemi Chargers that are "Ghost" Cars, white with white decals.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2604662252_662b3d0fe8.jpg?v=0

Harris county has wimpalas and Tahoes. The one that works my area says he hates them and misses the Crown Vics and Caprices.

WESTTXPATRIOT
07-06-2009, 11:49 AM
that car is nice and everything but nothing beats the CV. the shear intimidation of those lights makes my heart jump everytime even when i am not driving.

GreekGod
07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
(1)Ford needs to take notice. (2)Rework the CVPI to include the police equipment at a cheeper price. The CVPI is bought and paid for. It costs little to produce. And is proven. I'd love to put one through it's paces.

1) don't you think they do "take notice"?...I'm sure it is a constant battle between special service honchos & bean counters...

2) Ford always tries to keep ahead of the curve on innovations, but police budgets, & cut-throat bidding competition limits profitability/saleability (see #1 above).

I recall a posting on MM.NET about a Ford dealer in Michigan that always bid so low for law enforcement cars that it wasn't worth it for other dealers to try to compete. The dealer just wanted bragging rights for sales.

stryker
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
:cool: Looks very cool and futuristic that patrol car BUT how much $$$$$ Millions $$$$ cost every unit.

vonirkinshtine
07-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Long live the CVPI!

CodeMan
07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Ford has been working on a new Police Interseptor concept since 2007. The new "Police Interseptor" (as it will be called) is for Law Enforcement purposes only. Now if it is later put on Police / Government auction after service.....that is unknown.

Its not even close to a Crown Victoria platform, it will be its own monster. No frills or gimmicks, just a V8, police friendly, bad guy chasing "police interseptor"

According to the article, it will be ready for field testing in early 2011. Being an instructor at FLETC has its props.....

GreekGod
07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Ford has been working on a new Police Interseptor concept since 2007. The new "Police Interseptor" (as it will be called) is for Law Enforcement purposes only. Now if it is later put on Police / Government auction after service.....that is unknown.

Its not even close to a Crown Victoria platform, it will be its own monster. No frills or gimmicks, just a V8, police friendly, bad guy chasing "police interseptor"

According to the article, it will be ready for field testing in early 2011. Being an instructor at FLETC has its props.....

How about an info link?..wonder if blueoval.com has info?