PDA

View Full Version : Car Names

Vortex
07-12-2009, 06:05 AM
The post about the Caprice got me thinking of good/bad car names. I thought Id list a few good names and a few bad names:
Good:
Falcon
Thunderbird
Fairlane
Cyclone
Marauder
Chevelle
Caprice
Camaro
Mustang
Grand Marquis (hey, I like it anyway)
Montego
Electra
Corvette
Zephyr
Fleetwood
Eldorado
Impala
Challenger
Charger

crappy names:
G8, 6, ect...
GXP
Taurus
Focus
Edge
CTS (any of the Cadillac "letter" names)
Nitro
Caliber
Sebring
Lucerne

Bluerauder
07-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Adding to List .....

Good:
Fury
Wildcat
GTO
Roadrunner
Judge
Maverick
Safari
Road Master
Bonneville
Mustang (OK, this is a duplicate)
Carrera
Barracuda and 'Cuda
Escape
Explorer
Expedition
Mariner
Navigator
Excursion
Bronco
Ranger
Silverado
Colorado
Tempest
Valiant
Cobalt (not sure on this one)
Carribbean (perfect name for the 3-tone color combos)
Volt
Silver Ghost
Silver Cloud
Continental
Imperial
Demon
Monarch
Hawk, Golden Hawk
Starfire
XKE (not sure why I like this one)
Sky
Crossfire
Bravado
Aurora
Durango
Tundra
Titan
Highlander
Dakota
Montana
Spyder
Tiger
Comet
Maxima

crappy names:
Pinto
Gremlin
Bel Air
Country Squire
Torino (maybe ??)
Boxster
Targa
Catalina
325i, 330i, 745i
E190, 300D, 550SEL
Corvette (you had this on your Good List, I think it could go both ways)
Aries
xB, xC
Rabbit, Golf, GTI
Dart
Satellite (might goes in either category)
Alero
Freestyle
Flex
Outlook
Vue
Civic
Accord
Altima
Optima
Sentra
Celica
Sportage
Tahoe
Karman Ghia
2CV
Dauphine
Capri
Tesla (..and yes I understand the origin)
DeVille, Seville
Catera
Odyssey (I still don't understand the movie either)
Coronet
Savoy
Cranbrook
Duster (sounds like a household item)
Testarosa
Murcielago
Caravan, Grand Caravan
Voyager, Grand Voyager
Cavalier
Solstice
Aura
Element
Pathfinder
CR-V
Belvedere
TT
Miata
Suburban
Lark
Versa
Rio
Corolla, Corolla S
Camry
Envoy
Uplander
Citation (just give me a ticket)
Aspen

FordNut
07-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Satellite Sebring was a good one in the day. The later incarnation wrecked the name.
Same thing with Zephyr.
Barracuda or 'Cuda is another good one.
Crown Victoria too.

You updated before I could hit the button....
We obviously disagree on a couple. Torino and Satellite...

Joe Walsh
07-12-2009, 06:26 AM
My personal 'favorite'....1976 Mustang 'Cobra II' & 1978 Mustang 'King Cobra'.

Yeah!!!...Right!......:shake:

CBT
07-12-2009, 06:48 AM
crappy names:
Pinto
Gremlin
Bel Air
Country Squire
Torino (maybe ??)

I saw a 1966 Bel-Air at a car show last night. Plain Jane stocker, hiding a 427 under the hood. Sleeper indeed.

Bluerauder
07-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I saw a 1966 Bel-Air at a car show last night. Plain Jane stocker, hiding a 427 under the hood. Sleeper indeed.
I love the Bel Air. Just think it was a crappy name. ;)

jim geary
07-12-2009, 06:53 AM
AMC Matador

Joe Walsh
07-12-2009, 07:07 AM

Was it dark green, with dog dish hub caps and a bench seat/4 speed combo!?

:eek:

I've seen a Bel-Air like that at a few car shows also.

:bows:

UncleLar
07-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Geez,I didn't see Galaxie on anybody's list in either column.Or LTD,back when it came out in 1965 it was about the fanciest full size Ford,I remember because my best friends parents bought one.It was as quiet as they advertised too.

RF Overlord
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Add the following to the "bad names" list:

Touareg
Boxster
Rondo
Routan
MKS
Murano (No, wait...this one belongs on the "World's Fugliest Cars" list)
Tribeca (another "WFC" contender)

TiTo35
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
What about the Kia Sephia, the Aztec, the Elantra, the Safari, Grand AM...the worse list goes on and on!

Names I like: Phantom, Banshee(did they even make that car?), Titan, Roadmaster, Magnum, Riviera, Cayenne, Cayman and few others when I think of them.

scruff
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
i would like to add the chevy Nova ss to the good list of cars

Jolly Roger
07-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I always thought that Mercury (Turnpike Cruiser) was a badass name for a car.:)

Joe Walsh
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
:puke:

Touareg
Boxster
Rondo
Routan
MKS
Murano (No, wait...this one belongs on the "World's Fugliest Cars" list)
Tribeca (another "WFC" contender)

Yes!
Just about anything named by VW.

EOS
Tiguan
Passat

What about the Kia Sephia, the Aztec, the Elantra, the Safari, Grand AM...the worse list goes on and on!

Sounds like an infection...not a car!......:puke:

Names I like: Phantom, Banshee(did they even make that car?), Titan, Roadmaster, Magnum, Riviera, Cayenne, Cayman and few others when I think of them.

You forgot the 'Esteem' or for anyone who bought one the 'Lack of Esteem'

Ms. Denmark
07-12-2009, 02:03 PM
i would like to add the chevy Nova ss to the good list of carsExcept No Va means No Go in Spanish.;) My vote for crappy is Mini John Cooper Works.:puke::D

4rgone
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't know... How is Taurus bad and Electra good? I mean they shouldn't have called that little car Taurus, should just switch the name with the F-150, truck should be called Taurus.
Electra, Volt, Shock, Static... Lightning is cool. Now that I think about it most car names sound like 3rd rate super heros. Marauder is cool though, be an awesome super hero name.

Pat
07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
On the good side:

Rocket 88 or 98 (Oldsmobile)
Roadmaster
Century

Bad Side:

Buick Special
Regal
Bonneville
Fury
Belvedere

SC Cheesehead
07-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Always liked the name Cutlass.

Pacer would have been a great name for a car, if it didn't look like

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:zPZph4a6IJACWM::w ww.thelightisgreen.com/amc%252520pacer.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thelightisgreen.com/amc%2520pacer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thelightisgreen.wordpress.com/category/ugh/page/2/&h=323&w=480&sz=53&tbnid=zPZph4a6IJACWM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Damc%2Bpacer%2Bpho tos&hl=en&usg=__IDrGd7wbVG08pP3ethI-Cpdru90=&ei=7FRaSsyqO9PEmQeTnpiHAg&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image)

Aren Jay
07-14-2009, 10:13 PM

Donny Carlson
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Except No Va means No Go in Spanish.;) My vote for crappy is Mini John Cooper Works.:puke::D

+1 on the Nova. Similar embarassment with the Lacrosse (you'll go blind!!)

Everybody's forgetting the horror show of car names the Japanese come up with.

From the Forbe's article:

The best part of researching this story, however, was the process of combing through the names of cars sold in Japan with odd English titles. There are a couple of European models on our list, but Japanese automakers are the true champions of putting out the wildest car names.

Among the ones that put a smile on our face are the Daihatsu Naked; Honda Life Dunk; Honda That's; Isuzu GIGA 20 Light Dump and Mysterious Utility; Mazda Bongo; Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear and Pistachio; Nissan Fairlady Z and Prairie Joy; Rickman Space Ranger; Rinspeed X-Dream; Suzuki Cappucino; Toyota Deliboy and Toyopet; Volkswagen Thing and Volugrafo Bimbo. We think it's a shame that the Honda Life Dunk doesn't sell over here. Its goofy yet inspiring name would probably attract a fair number of buyers

Mr. Man
07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Coolest name ever is the Jensen Interceptor

Krytin
07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Pacer would have been a great name for a car, if it didn't look like

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:zPZph4a6IJACWM::w ww.thelightisgreen.com/amc%252520pacer.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thelightisgreen.com/amc%2520pacer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thelightisgreen.wordpress.com/category/ugh/page/2/&h=323&w=480&sz=53&tbnid=zPZph4a6IJACWM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Damc%2Bpacer%2Bpho tos&hl=en&usg=__IDrGd7wbVG08pP3ethI-Cpdru90=&ei=7FRaSsyqO9PEmQeTnpiHAg&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image)

The showroom stock class D race version was impressive.

"The Flying Fishbowl" - if you can't pass it you can't beat it!

CBT
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/voitureantique/hpbimg/AMC%20%20Rebel%20Machine%2070. jpg
The Rebel Machine. Who cares if it's an AMC, it sounds like a rolling fist fight, and this blacked out one just plain looks sinister.

Joe Walsh
07-15-2009, 10:30 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/voitureantique/hpbimg/AMC%20%20Rebel%20Machine%2070. jpg
The Rebel Machine. Who cares if it's an AMC, it sounds like a rolling fist fight, and this blacked out one just plain looks sinister.

Cool car!
I like rare muscle cars and AMC made a bunch of them...well they're rare because not many people bought them....:o

BTW: I understand that the name 'Rebel Machine' is not politically correct.
The ACLU is sueing to get the name changed to: 'Proud Southern Participant of the Civil War Machine'

CBT
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Cool car!
I like rare muscle cars and AMC made a bunch of them...well they're rare because not many people bought them....:o

BTW: I understand that the name 'Rebel Machine' is not politically correct.
The ACLU is sueing to get the name changed to: 'Proud Southern Participant of the Civil War Machine'

The original name was We Got Our Asses Beat Machine but it didn't flow as well. Personally, I like the AMC's. The Javelin SST, Rebel Machine, AMX, badass cars. I drove a Gremlin in High School, it was no slouch. No one, not even girls, were embarassed to be seen in it. Of course, it was tweaked a little in the paint and engine department. Metal-flake Aztec Bronze, black racing stripes, magnum 500 rims. That little bastard would blaze up the backtires! Pulled our ski-boat with it. I'd drive it today if my Dad hadn't destroyed it in a drunken fight with a tree.:(

Dr Caleb
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Touareg
Routan

I'm convinced some people are scared of things they don't understand.

"Touareg" or "Twareg" are a nomadic tribe in the centre of North Africa's Sahara Desert. The name means 'The Free People'. Why is that bad?

"Routan" a group of islands in the Arctic ocean. Seems to convey a certain strength to me.

Aren Jay
07-15-2009, 11:13 AM

03calitejas
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Personally I do like the Sebring name...the old Satellites rocked for what they were (post emission control law cars with v-8's).

Re: Vdub having bad names like rabbit and fox I have to agree...I DID like the name Scirroco and wanted one when they came out.

Zephyr sounds to me like Hefer and it evokes a grazing cow to me. Fairmont is a sissy name too.

Back in the day, the Mopar guys had nads to name their cars Barracuda, Charger and Challenger- AND they also had the guts to make them look different and stand out with those wild plum crazy, sublime lime and even panther pink paint jobs. PERFORMANCE actually meant something. The Marauder (and the mid 90's rear drive Impala SS's) are in the same spirit in my humble opinion. Ford took a full size car, steroid injected it and then stood back and really thought about the target audience when they raided the parts bins for handling and finally added the aggressive visual cues.

It seems like all the US made cars (and most imports) today look the same with very few exceptions. The mgmt has mixed all the fender lines and body shapes into a blender and now they are just fine for lemmings. Hey! Theres a good or at least appropriate, new car name- the Lemming.

Mr. Man
07-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm stickin' with Interceptor it just screams testosterone...aarrrhhh,aarrhh ,aarrhh

Of course testosterone is close to testarossa and that car is a screamer...

Haggis
07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
I like car names like Element, Xb, Scrotum, Jackoff and Dingleberry.

CBT
07-16-2009, 06:01 AM
I like car names like Element, Xb, Scrotum, Jackoff and Dingleberry.

Doh! Let us know how vacation goes, lol!

Haggis
07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Ok, will do. Then I can log under your account so no one will know

CBT
07-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Ok, will do. Then I can log under your account so no one will know

Dude! Let's trade user names and passwords for a day!!

Haggis
07-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Dude! Let's trade user names and passwords for a day!!

We'll both be on a long vacation. :lol:

CBT
07-16-2009, 06:33 AM
We'll both be on a long vacation. :lol:
I'll post some nice pics of Amy from your account, and you can try and 'splain to LadyH how they got there, lol.

Haggis
07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
I'll post some nice pics of Amy from your account, and you can try and 'splain to LadyH how they got there, lol.

I have some of Amy I can post myself.....DOH!!!

CBT
07-16-2009, 06:43 AM
I have some of Amy I can post myself.....DOH!!!

Well played, sir. Well played. .....dammit....