PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hornets 1, rayjay 0

rayjay
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Went and got my ears lowered this morning. Came home and that shiney evil orb was up in the sky so I started doing my lawn trimming with the push mower. ZAP, ZAP, ZAP ground hornets got me. :mad2: At 1st I thought I was ok, then the venom started settling in. Off to the ER. Finally got home about an hour ago. Got a little scary there for a bit. Tunnel vision, difficulty breathing, chest pains, ect. Caught hell for not immediately shooting my myself with eppy and heading in... Alls good now, but my left calf still hurts where they stung me. I'll be :flamer: the little bastidges nest tonight. :coolman: 1st time in about three years, so I guess I was past due, living out in the country.

Bigdogjim
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Glad you OK now!!! Nasty little things that do not play fair!

rayjay
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Glad you OK now!!! Nasty little things that do not play fair!

Neither do I. Fuel oil and gasoline for their dessert tonight :D

justbob
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
So did you finish the lawn?

rayjay
07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
So did you finish the lawn?

Nope, t storms rolled in while I was in the ER. I'll git er dun tomorrow.

UncleLar
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
They're nasty little bastages,watch out for that nest underground as it's liable to be quite large,plus they can sting all day and all night without dying. I'd buy a few cans of cheap spray carb cleaner,have a couple of well bundles up assistants and spray the daylights out of the entrance first and try to get as many as possible when they swarm out to greet you. But if you're allergic to their sting you're much better off getting a professional exterminator that knows what he's doing out there to kill them and remove the nest,it ought to be cheaper and a lot less traumatic than another visit to the ER.
Here's a little factoid for you,I drive a cement truck and we used to use Muriatic Acid on the trucks to clean them.I noticed very soon after I began using it on my truck that the little devils LOVE Muriatic Acid,I'd get some brushed on the truck and be cleaning it and the darn things would come from who knows where and buzz around and land on the acid.I'd swear they were drinking it from the looks of it,I would hit them as they sat there with a big brush soaked and dripping with the acid and they loved it,no BS.

rayjay
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I had the same problem about 8-9 years ago in the same general area of my lawn. We burned em out then too. Once its dark I'll pour a bunch of #2 heating oil down the two holes, followed by a little gas. Then touch it off with a propane torch. The last time it burned for hours. Three years ago I was scrapping the house for painting and got nailed good as the a holes had burrowed into my clapboard. Hired an exterminator for that job. Wife wouldn't let me burn the house down :D

offroadkarter
07-24-2009, 02:52 PM
neither do i. Fuel oil and gasoline for their dessert tonight :d

video or ban!!!!!!!

rayjay
07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
video or ban!!!!!!!

Hmmm, its not much of show actually. Right now its down pouring. We'll see what we can do later.

SC Cheesehead
07-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Ray,

Had a similar situation myself a couple years ago. I ran over the nest with the mower and got nailed big-time, a bunch of 'em got into my shirt and stung the $h*t out of my chest, shoulders and back; they got one of my doxies too. Poor little bugger was howling and yelping like mad. I scooped him up and we both took a dive in the pool to finally drive them off. (Vicious bastages!)

I used some wasp spray to knock them down some, then used the old gasoline trick. That cleared them out, but I'm still real leery whenever I mow the lawn back in that corner of the yard.

Ms. Denmark
07-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow Ray! Could you GET YOURSELF into any more trouble?? Arleen must be just beside herself. You need to live in a bubble! LOL:P You're a delicate flower. All you guys are just an accident waiting to happen!:rolleyes: Glad you lived.:D

merc
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Ray maybe you found the reclusive Green Hornet.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uuoNLnrPlFM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uuoNLnrPlFM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CRUZTAKER
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I'll be :flamer: the little bastidges nest tonight. :coolman: .....

You may want to read up on those :dunno:

We have White Faced Hornets here.
I eradicated a very large nest from our front porch after being away from home for two weeks.

WFH do not sleep. They are active through the night and in temps down to 38 degrees.

I wore a suit, used binoculars to spot the guards, and still had two chase me nearly 400' after the slaughter.

Be carefull. Be VERY carefull.

Bluerauder
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I had the same problem about 8-9 years ago in the same general area of my lawn. We burned em out then too. Once its dark I'll pour a bunch of #2 heating oil down the two holes, followed by a little gas. Then touch it off with a propane torch. The last time it burned for hours. Three years ago I was scrapping the house for painting and got nailed good as the a holes had burrowed into my clapboard. Hired an exterminator for that job. Wife wouldn't let me burn the house down :D

Dayum Ray. Glad you are OK now after the ER visit. :up:

Be real careful with that fuel oil and gas trick. I have a friend who almost burned his house down. Gasoline got a little out of hand, was a little windy, lit a bush and pine tree on the side of his house and scorched the siding. My friend didn't think ahead and didn't have a hose handy. :rolleyes: Don't make the same mistake.

babbage
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Sucks Ray, keep one of those needle pens in your garage (or two!) I had that happen to me years ago, I noticed hornets buzzing around me while cutting the lawn - so I ran 50 feet away -- then I noticed that the mower was on top of their hole and was pumping em out the grass exit chute! :D (no safety kill bar on the ol' Sears special) So there I was laughing while watching at least 100 more come out. I'm guessing they were pissed!

I find that 40:1 (2 cycle chainsaw mix) works really good!

babbage
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Dayum Ray. Glad you are OK now after the ER visit. :up:

Be real careful with that fuel oil and gas trick. I have a friend you almost burned his house down. Gasoline got a little out of hand, was a little windy, lit a bush and pine tree on the side of his house and scorched the siding. My friend didn't think ahead and didn't have a hose handy. :rolleyes: Don't make the same mistake.

haha - nothing like some added stress! I keep a hose nearby and soak the ground in a 10 ft circle around it -- ya know to help contain it? :flamer:

cassidy
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I need a quick ten thousand so I am willing to HD video the entire extermination process. Is that funniest video show still on?

Does Aren own a chainmail suit of armor?

I was thinking that or a Dom Deluise superhero outfit for maximum effect.

rayjay
07-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Ok folks, their DEAD. Checked their hole for few minutes prior, no flyers, but stragglers left out will keep coming back for a couple days. A few tried to get out, but i shoved a funnel down the hole. No where near the house and we had a hellacious t-storm blow through here so everything is wet. Their eternal flame was still going last I checked. R.I.H. scumbags...

Black_Noise
07-24-2009, 07:30 PM
brakleen (brake clean) works wonders, and if you have a straw on the can to pinpoint, its like target pratice when they land.

fastblackmerc
07-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Get old Pepsi or Coke bottle, glass not plastic.

Fill with gas

Shove down hole so the bottle blocks the hole and gas drains into the nest

Do this 3 or 4 times

Remove the bottle

Light it up

No no hornets, bees or whatever

Krytin
07-25-2009, 04:40 AM
You may want to read up on those :dunno:

We have White Faced Hornets here.
I eradicated a very large nest from our front porch after being away from home for two weeks.

WFH do not sleep. They are active through the night and in temps down to 38 degrees.

I wore a suit, used binoculars to spot the guards, and still had two chase me nearly 400' after the slaughter.

Be carefull. Be VERY carefull.

Yep - them WFHs are PURE EVIL.

I have noticed that they tend to attack whatever disturbed them. Leaving the lawn mower running and running away from the mower will leave most if not all of the little buggers attacking the mower!