PDA

View Full Version : visor decals

jpatricktaylor
11-07-2002, 05:57 AM
Has anyone pulled the safety warning decals off of the visors? I want to take them off, but I don't want to screw up the visor - do they come off cleanly???

LincMercLover
11-07-2002, 06:23 AM
Yah, I was wondering if those stupid little child saftey seat stickers come off the back seat as well. I tried scraping on it with my fingernail, but it didn't appear it would come off quite that easy. I already uninstalled all my safety seat equipment. Can't have no screaming, whinning kid back there drooling all over my seats!:)

03 Merc
11-07-2002, 06:25 AM
JPatrick,

Everyone I know who has tried to remove them has ended unhappy with the results. I guess Ford (and GM) uses some serious adhesives on those stickers.

If you are going to try the best way I have read is to heat the decal up with a hair dryer before pulling it off. Then the hard part is getting the remaining adhesives off the cloth without turning it into a lint ball.. You might want to check with a upholstrey shop before you get started...

Good Luck...

Cooper
11-07-2002, 04:17 PM
What 03 merc said. Even if you did manage to remove all of the sticker and adhesive from the visor, you would still be left with the "impression" of where the sticker was on your visor- it'll take some of the visor fabric with it.

RCSignals
11-07-2002, 07:10 PM
it's like they are heat pressed to the fabric. the only thing you can reall do is cover them with something else, or try to get OEM material and have an upholterer recover them. i guess you can thank lawyers and gov't regulation for the stickers

jpatricktaylor
11-09-2002, 06:08 PM
thanks , everyone, for the replies. I guess I'll leave well enough alone - keep everything stock and original so when my grandkids inherit it they won't have to track down NOS stickers to resore it!!

FordNut
01-09-2003, 09:23 PM
I'd like to get rid of these labels also. I wonder if they're pre-installed on new visors if you order them?

cyclone03
01-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Don't even think about removing them.
They suck but will outlast the entire car.

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 07:32 PM
I've gotta got out and check mine in the garage--I can' believe this! Sounds like I may have sum'tin that will get it off -be back later---it can't be all that bad!

NazSok
01-10-2003, 07:59 PM
I decided to put my whining 5-year-old in a $180 black leather Eddie Bauer booster seat, which, by the way, I think may contain more leather than all those perforated leather inserts combined. Has anyone felt cheated that the entire interior isn't leather--just "leather-trimmed?" The vinyl probably would fool most folks, I suppose, into guessing it were the real thing.

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 08:13 PM
sorry for the misspelling--- BUT I HAVE IT OFF ---WILL FINISH CLEANING UP AND WILL RETURN WITH ALL THE ANSWERS... STAY TUNED//

RCSignals
01-10-2003, 08:32 PM
NazSok
It's pretty common to trim seats that way. At least in this case, it's hard to tell where any vinyl is.

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Ok --Hear are the results---Spoke to wife--told her of what you all were saying-she said she hated those things as well--I said --didn't notice them--oh well--she said take the following and use it---this is what I did-
1. Used a commerical plastic bottle of "Goo Gone" 12 oz- spray bottle-looks like orange gasoline/gel with citrus smell... this is NOT the same as GOOF-OFF!!
2. Using an old towel, spray a small amount( comes out in an oily film amount like oil) on towel
3. Rub liberal amounts onto the sticker only -stay within the sticker boundaries if possible.
4. Let stand for 10 - 15 minutes
5. take needle nose plyers and pull corners up-one side.
6. when material gives way to you pulling with the plyers, place finger/thumb on cloth wanting to come away with sticker and keep separating cloth away from sticker as you pull it back.
7. If glue remains -it means you were in a hurry -even though sticker will come off.

The latter is what happen to me--sticker off--some glue remained--will re-vist the visor tomorrow after it dries to get the glue off--will advise how that comes out so to help all in that area as well

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Some more info- Wife says to tell all

DO NOT BE IN A HURRY WHEN PULLING STICKER-PUT A GOOOD AMOUNT ON STICKER AND LET STAND A LONG TIME--

khc3
09-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Curious Marauderman, did you get all the glue off? I hate those stickers and want them off!

Strider74
09-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Myself, I have been working on a sticker to cover over the warning, but I keep changing my mind on how it should look. I'll have to see how it works for you guys.

Bigdogjim
09-27-2003, 07:27 PM
marauderman: Goo-gone is great stuff!

gonzo50
09-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
the only thing you can really do is cover them with something else, or try to get OEM material and have an upholterer recover them.
Maybe we can talk to and convince A3GR to fabricate something similar to the steeringwheel emblem for the visor but in the shape of the warning sticker. What do ya'll think ? :up:

MMdriver03
09-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Maybe one of those that read...PLEASE CLOSE WINDOWS AT SPEEDS ABOVE 130 MPH :rock:

Racerx88
09-28-2003, 11:46 AM
You guys realize that 25 years from now some guy restoring his Marauder is gonna be cussing out the s.o.b. who took the original stickers off his Marauder's visors?
:lol:

Rob1559
09-28-2003, 05:16 PM
How about a sticker that covers it using the retro Marauder logo with the checked flag?

jerrym3
09-29-2003, 06:34 AM
Just a suggestion, but they do sell stickers that fit over the ugly yellow ones. But, they are gray with a TBird emblem.

Still, it looks better than the factory stickers (anything would).

Check out:

www.thunderbirdnest.com