PDA

View Full Version : Do lifetime warranties exist anymore?

Motorhead350
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I was thinking of that news clip in which the woman with 540,000 miles on her car got a ton of replacement parts for free because of the warranty. Does anyone offer anything like that anymore?

For batteries, shocks, mufflers, and oh boy TIRES?

I am guessing not since so many people are deciding to keep their cars instead of buying new ones.

Anyone know? If so that would be great. My K5 needs a few products.

CBT
07-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Over the years the "lifetime warranty" became "over the life expectancy" of a particular part. If you have a starter with a life expectancy (decided by some numbers cruncher somewhere) of 5 years, you are not going to get it replaced at the six year mark for free, unless you have one of those super awesome all inclusive extended bumper to bumper warranties, but the catch there is, you pay extra for it. I know this because it was explained to me after I threatened to kick a starter up a Chevy dealers ass when it died on my Venture van 61 months into a 60 month "lifetime" warranty.

wchain
07-28-2009, 06:47 PM
The local auto parts store still has lifetime warranty starters, alternators, brake pads, water pumps, shocks (monroe), and many other electrical components.

CBT
07-28-2009, 06:50 PM
The local auto parts store still has lifetime warranty starters, alternators, brake pads, water pumps, shocks (monroe), and many other electrical components.

Not to argue, but I seriously doubt it. I do not believe you can buy one set of brake pads today and expect to get them replaced for free for the rest of your life, it is not going to happen.

-Matt-
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Not to argue, but I seriously doubt it. I do not believe you can buy one set of brake pads today and expect to get them replaced for free for the rest of your life, it is not going to happen.

No its true.... ive brought back my 1950 cadillacs 6 volt battery every year on its lifetime warranty from autozone

wchain
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM

I have a customer with a 03 Tacoma with 402,000 miles on it. She has not paid for brake pads since I started working on the car since 2006. She pays me for labor, and I trade the pads in for her.

CBT
07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a customer with a 03 Tacoma with 402,000 miles on it. She has not paid for brake pads since I started working on the car since 2006. She pays me for labor, and I trade the pads in for her.
Then I stand corrected. Is that a Toyota thing? No wonder they sell so well. Why would anyone ever buy a new vehicle if all the parts are replaced for free?

Phrog_gunner
07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Then I stand corrected. Is that a Toyota thing? No wonder they sell so well. Why would anyone ever buy a new vehicle if all the parts are replaced for free?

I worked over 9 years at an auto parts store during HS and college. The only only lifetime warranty we had on any of our pads were against DEFECTS...not wear. So unless the pad came unbonded from the backing plate....they didnt get crap.

Aren Jay
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
BFG Video cards have lifetime warranties.

wchain
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Nope, not a toyota thing. its a courtesy extended by the parts supply houses to "jobber" or "commercial" customers.

Why would anyone ever buy a new vehicle if all the parts are replaced for free?

Because she still has to pay me for labor to install the pads, turn rotors or replace them if they are below minimum spec.

This tacoma actually will be going to cash for clunkers this week. I have set her up with a 2009 Ford Ranger sport as the replacement.

in2deep
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I used to have FOLDERS full of lifetime warantied parts at a place called Super Trak.

Then the buggers went out of business.

cvpiftw
07-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I used to have FOLDERS full of lifetime warantied parts at a place called Super Trak.

Then the buggers went out of business.
as in track auto?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-28-2009, 09:04 PM
The auto parts stores with the previously "unlimited" lifetime warranties are starting to crack down on them. Advance's lifetime brake rotors only give you one replacement set now over the "lifetime". I wouldn't be surprised if their brake pads that are lifetime have limitations on them. But I know the rotors for sure only give you one replacement, I just dealt w/ this the other week.

Before Autozone was Auto Palace. I was told that they had lifetime warranties on so many parts that other stores wouldn't warranty or wouldn't give a lifetime on, that it was their downfall. Auto palace later became Autozone.