PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers propose ban on texting while driving

ctrlraven
07-29-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20090729/US.Driving.Texting/

Dr Caleb
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Once again, people must be legislated to do what the rest of us see as stunningly obvious.

MrBluGruv
07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
honestly, just like drunk driving, I'm sure the number of accidents and fatalities due to people texting while driving will still be very prevalent, so not much anything serious will have been achieved from this legislation...

252life
07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Texting while driving a bus..

_CTVvj_RyyU

Vortex
07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
You would think common sense would prevail, but it doesnt, and laws prohibiting this need to be passed.

Joe Walsh
07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
It's about time they tried to do something about it, but as was said:

Is the law really going to stop idiots from texting whie driving?

Love the moron bus driver, texting while he knows he is on camera...DOH!
No more job for you!...and hang on while the lawyers line up outside your door with all the passenger's lawsuits.

Phrog_gunner
07-29-2009, 02:36 PM
They need to go ahead and just make talking on the phone illegal too.

DJCV
07-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Humans---is there any other being on the planet that will do more harm to itself in so many amazingly stupid ways?

guspech750
07-29-2009, 02:43 PM
you would think by now, people would get it. but they dont. the more stupid **** people do may it be driving or something else with the effects of people being injured or kill. lawmakers are going to make up laws that seam silly to us smarter people and one who have common sense and the idiots will keep thinking what did i do wrong. we dont need those laws. well people. its time to stop feeding on mommys tits and grow up and use common sense. or other wise we will have more government and more silly laws and more cameras and just plain old more ******** due to stupid people.

Bluerauder
07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
It's about time they tried to do something about it, but as was said:

Is the law really going to stop idiots from texting whie driving?

The Virginia law prohibiting texting went into effect on 1 July 2009. But they made the mistake of advertizing that it was only a secondary offense if you were pulled over for something else. On top of that, the fine is only $20.00. They might as well have done nothing .... 'cause it will have the same effect.

My rather unscientific observations over the past 5 years in Northern Virginia indicate that ~ 36% of the drivers are on the phone, the blackberry, or texting while driving. :rolleyes: Ratio of 2 Females (~24%) to 1 Male (~12%).

justbob
07-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Is it any worse than your average newspaper readers? Or the makeup artists? I stand accused, but only maybe once a month but only when stopped, and also it's just a yes/no answer, less keys than dialing a number. There really should be laws however, I see the texting guru's atleast every 20 cars or so swerving all over the place!

CBT
07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
You cannot use a cellphone period, for talking or texting, on Norfolk Naval Base while you are driving, that started over a year ago. I thought it was going a little overboard (intentional navy joke) by not letting you talk. Texting, no, shouldn't be doing it. Talking, I don't see the problem while driving. For once, I'm glad about a law in this....state.

FastMerc
07-30-2009, 03:50 PM
They already put that law in affect in Cleveland ohio...

Pat
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Louisiana has already enacted a ban on texting.

RF Overlord
07-30-2009, 05:21 PM
I agree with this ban. At least while talking on the phone you can keep your eyes on the damn road...

Bluerauder
07-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I agree with this ban. At least while talking on the phone you can keep your eyes on the damn road...
This is only partially correct. Even if your eyes are "on the road", it is not registering 100% with the brain because it is engaged in the conversation. This is why folks talking on the phone are always doing 5-10 MPH under the speed limit..... basically split concentration. Anyone who thinks that it doesn't affect their driving is fooling themselves.

Just found out that my nephew rolled his Ford Escape several times. He was talking on the phone with his wife and tried to reach for something in the passenger seat. The car swerved and he overcorrected and he lost it. No other vehicle involved -- just his. His wife listened to the wreck as it was happening. Understand that he normally DOESN'T wear his seatbelt ... this time though he had it on. He is lucky to be alive. He is now in a neckbrace with two cracked vertebrae and one chipped. This was a very costly phone call that he will live with the aftermath of back pain for the rest of his life. :( Good news is that his wife and baby were at home.

LIGHTNIN1
07-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Just like the other posters have said. Once an idiot ,always an idiot. Might as well be solving a Rubiks Cube. We have those type wrecks around here all time.

Dr Caleb
07-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Just like the other posters have said. Once an idiot ,always an idiot. Might as well be solving a Rubiks Cube. We have those type wrecks around here all time.

Well, looks like you're going to have to ban solving Rubik's Cubes while driving in Oklahoma, if it's become that bad.

Aren Jay
08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
...texting is bad...

RF Overlord
08-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Even if your eyes are "on the road", it is not registering 100% with the brain because it is engaged in the conversation. ...basically split concentration. Anyone who thinks that it doesn't affect their driving is fooling themselves.Charlie, you're 100% correct. My point was simply that at least with your eyes on the road, you have a chance of seeing a situation develop. If you're staring at a screen and reading messages, you have NO chance.

I personally think they should ban cell-phone use while driving as well. I'm guilty of doing that, too, but I only use it for work-related stuff and not frequently. I swear there are people who cannot drive without using their cell the whole time...