PDA

View Full Version : The brick *****house

Hack Goby
07-30-2009, 05:25 AM
Always heard the term "Built like a brick *****house" now I have found one up here in Port Hope.Two holer to boot!The lighthouse keeper sure had it made back then. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Port_Hope_late_July_063.JPG

CBT
07-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Haha, that's great, where is this place?

SC Cheesehead
07-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see it too.

Hack Goby
07-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Haha, that's great, where is this place?Port Hope is a tiny lakeside town in the thumb of Michigan.It`s really a hidden gem that a lot of people don`t know about.

SC Cheesehead
07-30-2009, 06:36 AM
So, is the BSH "open for business" (so to speak) or is it just there for display?

Hey, SOMEBODY had to ask the question......

LIGHTNIN1
07-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Looks first class. A/C and heat?

Black Dynamite
07-30-2009, 07:35 AM
My that does look solidly built. I can only dream of one day having an outhouse that can double as a storm shelter.

But why a two holer? Is the lighthouse keeper expecting company?

Egon Spengler
07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
I would save up for a most amazing #2 for that bad boy!

I would s*** a brick!

O's Fan Rich
07-30-2009, 07:49 AM
But why a two holer? Is the lighthouse keeper expecting company?

Warmer in he winter time going in two's....

Hack Goby
07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse and Museum
One of the few lighthouses that are still in operation today on the Great Lakes. It was built in 1857 under President Polk's orders to guard ships from some of the most treacherous shoals in the Great Lakes. The lighthouse is 89 feet tall with 103 cast iron steps to the top. It is owned and operated by the U.S. Coast Guard and was automated in 1957. The lighthouse has a flashing white light that shines 18 miles out over Lake Huron. It is a warning that the area contains shallow waters that can be a hazard, and it also marks the entrance into Saginaw Bay. The keeper's residence is now a museum. Tours are available Memorial Day until end of September. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Port_Hope_3_day_059.JPG

CBT
07-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Sweet, I may have to post some lighthouse pics I've taken from around here.

Phrog_gunner
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Two holer to boot!

Hopefully they are close enough for the high five when you are double teaming it....:beer:

CBT
07-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Hopefully they are close enough for the high five when you are double teaming it....:beer:
What do tj and George Michael have in common? That outhouse.

Hack Goby
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Im going to post some pic`s on the photo section.http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/pointe-aux-barques-lighthouse.htm

Phrog_gunner
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
What do tj and George Michael have in common? That outhouse.

Is that where his song "Hand to Mouth" comes from??

CBT
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Im going to post some pic`s on the photo section.http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/pointe-aux-barques-lighthouse.htm
What are you, on vacation? Or just out snapping pics?

Hack Goby
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
What are you, on vacation? Or just out snapping pics?

My girlfriend Tina (She was with me at Louisville) has a 32ft. Fifth wheel she keeps up there.Only 120 mile to get there and it`s always quiet.We love it. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/0012.JPG

CBT
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I remember her, nice gal. Place looks relaxing. :up:
My girlfriend Tina (She was with me at Louisville) has a 32ft. Fifth wheel she keeps up there.Only 120 mile to get there and it`s always quiet.We love it.

Ken
07-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Just got re-acquainted with camping last weekend. Good time :up:

Ken

Egon Spengler
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Are you guys serious right now?!?!? hahaha I give up!

LIGHTNIN1
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Heard on the news this week that our government spent a lot of money upgrading outhouses in the national forests I think. An upgrade might mean W/toilet paper and moonlite.

justbob
07-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Thats a cool poophouse!

Now, do you now the real meaning of "balls to the wall" by chance?

Egon Spengler
07-30-2009, 03:43 PM
and what about "colder than a witches t!t"????

Thats a cool poophouse!

Now, do you now the real meaning of "balls to the wall" by chance?

Joe Walsh
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Warmer in he winter time going in two's....

Yeah...could you imagine walking out there on a frigid winter night to drop a duece??

I bet the lighthouse keepers were constipated for all of January and February!

No lolly-gagging around reading car magazines on that those winter 'trips'!

justbob
07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Answer is #4 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=balls+to+the+w all

Not too sure on the booby however.

Bluerauder
07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Always heard the term "Built like a brick *****house" now I have found one up here in Port Hope.

Here's a historical explanation of the phrase .....

How did the phrase "built like a brick shithouse" get to be a compliment?
July 4, 2003
Dear Cecil:

Where did the phrase "built like a brick shithouse" originate? How can it possibly be considered a compliment?

— Erik Smith, Hilton Head, South Carolina

You wouldn't ask this question if you'd ever really listened to a man try to compliment a woman. ("Of course I like your outfit, honey. It really de-emphasizes your butt.") But you have a point. When one contemplates the comely female form, "brick shithouse" is not the first phrase that springs to mind.

For a broader perspective I consulted what is surely the definitive treatment of the subject, The Vanishing American Outhouse by Ronald S. Barlow (1989). This unpretentious volume has everything you'd want to know about outhouses and then some. (Sample: "State of Maine outhouses are among the sturdiest ever built," accompanied by a photo of a particularly handsome albeit nonbrick example. Something for the New England tourism bureau to think about now that New Hampshire has lost the Old Man of the Mountain.)

The book includes photos of privies constructed using a wide range of materials, including clapboard (by far the commonest), plywood, stucco, concrete, cedar shakes, logs, corrugated tin, scrap lumber, and of course brick. The brick shithouses are generally pretty impressive architecturally, but not even the most obtuse male is likely to see the spitting image of his lady love therein--not unless she's got a physique like a defensive lineman. They are, however, well built, especially in contrast to the flimsy wooden variety, and it's strictly in this narrow sense that the phrase is usually applied to a woman. (To quote the relevant Commodores tune: "The lady's stacked and that's a fact.")

You may think: I've heard of people being deaf to secondary associations, but this takes the cake. Well, no. The guy who first used "built like a brick shithouse" to describe a woman with a nice figure wasn't thickheaded, just a smart-ass. From the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang we learn that: (a) the phrase and its euphemistic variants date back at least to 1903; (b) said variants replace "shithouse" with switch shanty, schoolhouse, slaughterhouse, or backhouse, among others; and (c) all were originally--and more sensibly--applied to men of solid or powerful build. When said of women, one 1938 source notes, the phrase usually meant a "heavy, cloddish, sexually unappetizing female." But even in the 1930s a few wiseguys were applying it to attractive women, and in the U.S. that usage has now supplanted all others.

But not everywhere. In Australia and the UK, at least, "built like a brick shithouse" still most commonly refers to well-built men. Therefore be advised to use caution in tossing this phrase about whilst abroad; you may be taking your life in your hands.

CBT
07-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Lol, now I want to buy that book, Charlie.

Bluerauder
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Lol, now I want to buy that book, Charlie.
I like their slogan .... "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 .... who knew it was gonna take so long." :rofl:

cassidy
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
just tell CBT not to light a match in this one...it won't hold up much better than the wooden one he took out last week...