PDA

View Full Version : Help Me in My Quest to Get to the 9's

martyo
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I am feeling a lot of pressure since no one has hit the 9's despite my extended absence from this site.

Anyway, here is what I need:

I need an driver's side "A" Pillar pod (no gages please because they are for race cars! :D)

I need a fiberglass hood or carbon fiber, preferably cowl style.

I am willing to pay.

So, whatchya got?

Egon Spengler
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I know that you know what you are doing, but I must ask for my own curiosity in your search for 9's...
1) Do you remove your headlight for "ram air" effect?
2) Do you run widened rears?
3) Do you run a thinner front tire?

Sorry to derail thread, just curious if you are taking everything into account when trying to reach the niners! I would love to built a race marauder someday!

I am feeling a lot of pressure since no one has hit the 9's despite my extended absence from this site.

Anyway, here is what I need:

I need an driver's side "A" Pillar pod (no gages please because they are for race cars! :D)

I need a fiberglass hood or carbon fiber, preferably cowl style.

I am willing to pay.

So, whatchya got?

Paul T. Casey
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
KB-Marauder-S Mike (Mike is his name, screen name may be off) has a cowl hump hood on his. I think it may be 'glass. Maybe he can post up, or if I don't see him here soon, I'll call him.

martyo
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
in your search for 9's...
1) Do you remove your headlight for "ram air" effect?
2) Do you run widened rears?
3) Do you run a thinner front tire?

1) - Negative Ghost Rider (only race cars drive with no headlights!! :D)

2) - Absolutely

3) - Yes, 26" Mickey Thompson Front Runners

merc
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Get your fiberglass hood at this site. I picked up one last week and talked to the owner. 20 have been sold to date.

http://www.classglassperformance.com/merc%20cr%20vic.html

KillJoy
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Are you wanting to keep all of the comforts of the MM and have it still be used as a car?

It sounds like you are not wanting the stripped out interior kind of 9-Second Monster. Is this correct?

If not, I have a few ideas. ;)

KillJoy

KillJoy
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Also, a guy on a local Forum has a set of Adjustable "racing" seats for sale.....

KillJOy

martyo
08-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I lost internet connection because I am typing this on the way to the track to test another car.

Anyway, I found clasglass, which I see Merc posted up and I ordered a hood from them.

Anyway, any idea of the weight savings from the hood swap?

merc
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I lost internet connection because I am typing this on the way to the track to test another car.

Anyway, I found clasglass, which I see Merc posted up and I ordered a hood from them.

I am picking up my hood from the paint shop in the morning. I will bring a scale to weight both hoods. I think the one from classglass is 22 pounds and the O.E.M is 68+. Don't quote me on this one.

martyo
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I am picking up my hood from the paint shop in the morning. I will bring a scale to weight both hoods. I think the one from classglass is 22 pounds and the O.E.M is 68+. Don't quote me on this one.

That is a lot of weight off the nose of the car.

Are you competing with me to get to the 9's?

By the way, the dude at Class was super nice and so was his wife.

I will have my hood in about 2 weeks!

Joe Walsh
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Not to be a naysayer, but a good quality fiberglass hood is not really light.
I don't think that the weight savings are going to be very significant.
When Jerry was investigating a Marauder specific fiberglass hood way back when, I weighed my OEM hood for him and it was not much more than the weight of the fiberglass hood that Jerry was working with.
He abandoned the idea based on high cost and minimal weight savings.
I'll see if I can find the original thread.
I did buy an older GM hood at a junkyard that is aluminum, and weighs a lot less than the OEM hood.
I was walking around the junkyard holding it with one arm and looked like Superman.
The problem is that the 'crease lines' in the hood are recessed rather than raised like the OEM Marauder hood.
I had planned on making a custom hood out of it with a raised cowl to match the Marauder, but I didn't have the $$$ for the custom aluminum work.
(I still have the aluminum GM hood)

martyo
08-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Joe: I understand that but 50 pounds is 50 pounds.

Plus teh cowl is gonna look bad azz on my car!!! :D

RoyLPita
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Have you removed the impact bars from underneath the bumper covers?

merc
08-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Have you removed the impact bars from underneath the bumper covers?

That's a good idea 1+

Joe Walsh
08-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Joe: I understand that but 50 pounds is 50 pounds.

Plus teh cowl is gonna look bad azz on my car!!! :D

No, I agree....If the classglass hood is 22 lbs, then that is significant!

Jerry was saying that the hood he was looking at was in the mid 50 pound range.
The 68 pounds that merc quoted for an OEM hood sounds about right if my memory is worth anything.

Egon Spengler
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Martyo... are you ported and polished? do you run 100+ octane? I am curious again if there is a race gas tune for our vehicles

Joe Walsh
08-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Found the old thread:

V V V V

I just weighed them:
OEM Steel Marauder hood = 58 LBS
Aluminum 96 Grand Marquis hood = 31 LBS
Unfortunately, the 96 GM hood is the wrong style for our Marauders... (see my earlier post)

Boy would it be nice to drop 27 LBS off the front end, then move the battery to the trunk....

Here is the link to the older thread:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25059&highlight=more+on+fiberglass+h oods

merc
08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
That is a lot of weight off the nose of the car.

Are you competing with me to get to the 9's?

By the way, the dude at Class was super nice and so was his wife.

I will have my hood in about 2 weeks!

It takes a speed shop, lost of cash, and plenty of patience to make these cars competitively fast. It would be nice to be in the elite 5 of Marauders but that's not going to happen for me...this year. 11.49 without the bottle is my goal and no major parts broken. Don't worry my friend, with a reaction time of .667 you leave a lot at the table. I think with a little luck I can take you out in bracket racing. Heads up is another story, I am going to need 2.5 seconds on the tree. Anyway, don't sleep Mr. MO-Rauder, I am slowing closing the gap.

ImpalaSlayer
08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
i bought the very first classglass hood and it is EXTREMLY light. id give it an 8 outa 10 over all.

Blackened300a
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Martyo... are you ported and polished? do you run 100+ octane? I am curious again if there is a race gas tune for our vehicles

You dont know Marty car very well. It has all the go fast goodies already installed and used.

Many members are running with a race gas tune. Any tuner can set one up for you.

ctrlraven
08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
i bought the very first classglass hood and it is EXTREMLY light. id give it an 8 outa 10 over all.
Thanks for Hood #1 Dave lol.

Marty, don't use the factory gas hood shocks since their too strong which you probably already know. Advance Auto Parts sells less lb ones that give it just enough to hold the hood up at any height and won't shut with a gust of the wind.

Advance AutoParts:
Strong Arm #4142 (special order only)

Egon Spengler
08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm still learning all this fuel injection / computer / tuner lingo... I am used to carbs haha

You dont know Marty car very well. It has all the go fast goodies already installed and used.

Many members are running with a race gas tune. Any tuner can set one up for you.

ImpalaSlayer
08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
i should mention the only reason i sold it is because i ended up not liking the shape

White Knuckles
08-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Well, you've got the hood covered. I was going to suggest you talk with Brian (Fordnut) because he is running a cowl hood and did alot of research prior.

One other weight saving idea ;) I've got a good stiff scraper to help you remove all that Dynamat

Glenn
08-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Marty:

I think this is what you are looking for - single and double "A" pillar pods.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=pillar%20gauge%20pod% 20marauder&dds=1

Good luck on your drive to the nines.

Glenn :beer:

Breadfan
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Joe - re the aluminum hood, I don't take it they used aluminum on any of fenders? Lighter front fenders (fiber or carbon) could help too...

merc
08-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for Hood #1 Dave lol.

Marty, don't use the factory gas hood shocks since their too strong which you probably already know. Advance Auto Parts sells less lb ones that give it just enough to hold the hood up at any height and won't shut with a gust of the wind.

Advance AutoParts:
Strong Arm #4142 (special order only)

Advance auto service sucks. Try Quickship autoparts, www.quickshipautoparts.com (347) 462-2734. I had my hood struts in 2 days.

Blown3.8
08-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Weight savings with the class glass hood is 30lbs. :2thumbs:

I have other ideas, but if i told ya then i'd have to kill ya.:D

How much does it weigh now, MArty?

Joe Walsh
08-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Joe - re the aluminum hood, I don't take it they used aluminum on any of fenders? Lighter front fenders (fiber or carbon) could help too...

Nope,
They used an aluminum hood and trunk, but the fenders were steel.
It sucks that they put the aluminum goodies on run-of-the-mill mid 90s GMs and went back to steel for the Marauder.

merc
08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Weight savings with the class glass hood is 30lbs. :2thumbs:

Thanks, that saves me from dragging a scale out to Hagerstown.

knine
08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
"Help Me in My Quest to Get to the 9's" ..............as in K9's??? Well, O.K., I guess I can send you the mapquest directions. Good Luck getting to the nines!

martyo
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Marty:

I think this is what you are looking for - single and double "A" pillar pods.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=pillar%20gauge%20pod% 20marauder&dds=1

Good luck on your drive to the nines.

Glenn :beer:

No, but thanks.

I need an unmodded factory pillar.

martyo
08-07-2009, 03:16 PM
One other weight saving idea ;) I've got a good stiff scraper to help you remove all that Dynamat

Well, if I had a dollar for every pound of dynomat in the car, I would not have MOney problems!!!

martyo
08-07-2009, 03:21 PM

In order to kill me, you have to catch me first!!!!

:flamer:

Huh? What? I can not hear ya over the sound of this Procharger!!!!! :banana2:

94_302
08-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Take a few pages from this guys book: http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=660756

Blown3.8
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Huh? What? I can not hear ya over the sound of this Procharger!!!!! :banana2:

Better get rid of that! You're spose to be able to talk normally to the passengers in a street car.;)