PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Ford I never heard about

Vortex
08-13-2009, 07:53 AM
http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/03/19/cardomain-obscure-muscle-car-parking-lot-the-ford-ltd-lx/

juno
08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Cool find! I had never heard of them either.

in2deep
08-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Id rock that thing, good find.

RoyLPita
08-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I've heard of them. Last year for them was 1985. The police version was cool, too.

MrBluGruv
08-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm pretty sure my uncle owned a Mercury version of this, at the time that was the "Mercury Marquis".

LIGHTNIN1
08-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I've not seen it before. I like it and it had to be the first or close to it 4 door muscle car.

jimlam56
08-13-2009, 09:02 AM
They also made this body style into a Ranchero-type truck called the Ford Durango.

http://jalopnik.com/390648/another-ford-fairmont-durango-for-sale-can-you-resist-the-foxchero#viewcomments

Glenn
08-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes, I remember this Ford Fairmount with the 5.0 HO V-8 in the 80's. I recall several of these HO Fairmounts - as they were called - did pretty good on the drag strips at ATCO in NJ. They took very little work to increase the HP to a resonable performance level and took many Mustangs by surprise.

Glenn Ford

ctrlraven
08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty sure my uncle owned a Mercury version of this, at the time that was the "Mercury Marquis".
Yeah same body style but I think Mercury's version only had the V6 in it. I was going to get one as a first car until I saw it had the V6 in it lol.

UncleLar
08-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I've heard of them. Last year for them was 1985. The police version was cool, too.
Ditto,they were excellent sleepers with some mods,darn near any hi po parts for those years Mustangs was a straight bolt on. :burnout:

LOWBUCKMM
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
i had a buddy that had one for a first car. it was mint and pretty quick to boot. and boy did i love the one wheel burn outs it did. i have seen one of these cars with a 87 mustang gt front clip and side skirts. look pretty sweet to me. i have been wanting to find one but they are very hard to find. there is a woody wagon ltd running around rockford and it sounds pretty beefy.

MrBluGruv
08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah same body style but I think Mercury's version only had the V6 in it. I was going to get one as a first car until I saw it had the V6 in it lol.

Indeed, REALLY old 3.8l. Thing still runs like a champ though. :)

Vortex
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM

Actually there is a link in the article to a couple of photos of an 1985 Marquis LTS that had the 5.0 HO in it as well. Pretty rare car the article says.

FreddieH
08-13-2009, 05:42 PM
In the early 80's in my early 20's I would rent these cars. They ran with the 5.0 mustang engine and would hall a$$ on the highway. As a cop in Philadelphia our district had two survivor police edition patrol cars in 1986 as they transitioned into the Grand Fury which were a piece of crap. Those LTD's were like driving a 4 door Mustang 5.0 Gt and we were sad to see them being retired.

CBT
08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
As a cop in Philadelphia our district had two survivor police edition patrol cars in 1986 as they transitioned into the Grand Fury which were a piece of crap.

Philly cop? You got my respect, I lived there TWICE, lol. Great party town, plenty of sites to see of historical importance, wouldn't want to be an Officer there. I caught a really good break from one of Philly's finest one time, no complaints about them. Sorry for the highjack.

DOOM
08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Looks good in black. :D

FreddieH
08-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Philly cop? You got my respect, I lived there TWICE, lol. Great party town, plenty of sites to see of historical importance, wouldn't want to be an Officer there. I caught a really good break from one of Philly's finest one time, no complaints about them. Sorry for the highjack.
Thanks CBT, I am glad I survived to retire. I lost many friends and my long time partner on the job. I thank GOD iI am still around and was able to move away to some Peace.

CBT
08-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks CBT, I am glad I survived to retire. I lost many friends and my long time partner on the job. I thank GOD iI am still around and was able to move away to some Peace.

No problem, here's to you and the Blue!:beer: I've often said there's two jobs I could never do, a Cop or a cook. Thankless jobs that I just don't think I'd have the patience for. Man, this brings back great memories of that town! Me and a buddy had 2 dudes come up to us on the street one time. One guy pulls out a wad of cash and said to my bud, "Hold this for me, we gonna play Banker." Before I could say "Don't", my bud says okay and takes the wad of cash. Dude says "Okay Mr. Banker, I want to withdraw my money" and takes it back and then says "You owe me intrest on my money. Give it to me." and pulls a pistol on us. Me being 18 and indestructable....plus fairly drunk, said "I'm going to kick that so far up your ass you'll have to clean it with your toothbrush". HA! Dudes took off running! And as I'm yelling stuff like Yeah you BETTER run!, 2 Philly Cops run up behind us, (one stops, the other chases after them) yelling whats going on! Did they rob ya's?! I thought I was a badass until i realized they weren't running from me, lol. Anyway, they caught them, wetold the Police what happened, they took them away. Man, so many memories from that town, thanks!

Vortex
08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Philly was a great town; my ship was in the yards there 77-78 and I rented an apartment for a while at 15th and Jackson in South Philly. Spent my off time at Sharkey's on South Broad St. (long gone).