PDA

View Full Version : old school odometers

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
real quick, trying to purchase an older model vehicle...
now the odometers only have 5 didgits...
i dont trust alot of ppl so when they say the car only has 67k on it i really dont believe them.... unless its an ol white lady (no disrespect)

so what im askin is.. on the 5 didgit odoms after 99,999k what does the odometer show?

is there anyway i can tell that it has passed 100k?..... or am i just assed out

please dont chump me off. its a serious question
gracias' muchaco's

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-20-2009, 09:52 AM
No way at all to tell. It will roll over to zero again and start over

Egon Spengler
08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
That's pretty much it... maybe by the way the car runs and drive you might be able to tell whether or not the car has 100,000 more miles on it just by the way it drives??? Not much else you can do that I know of. I hate looking at an old car and wondering that same question!

No way at all to tell. It will roll over to zero again and start over

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
thought so
appreciate the conformation

Mike M
08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Thank god for "ol white lady's"

Joe Walsh
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Check the brake pedal for wear on the rubber surface.
Most car sellers don't think of this, nor replace the pedal cover...and you can tell if it has 67k or 167k on it.

BTW: What's wrong with ol' black ladies and ol' chinese ladies?

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
the comment about old white ladies (i said no disrespect)

Most old ppl take care of their cars, from my experiences and friends experiences
the older ppl of the white kind keep records and do rountine checks, fluid changes, etc, etc;

i had purchased my caprice from an old white couple and they bought it new in 1995... they had a binder of paper work of all the things that had been done to the car (not to say that ol black ladies, chinese, hispanic, russian, etc; dont keep up with the maintenance on their cars it just seems like the white ones do it a tad bit better)

Its kind of sad when u think about it.... but thats the way alot of young ppl like me think. all the older model vehicles i have looked at i would tend to go to the ones an older white person owned cuz it seemed more well kept.

i feel like im about to get attacked.... just let me have it

Egon Spengler
08-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I only trust white people too!!!!:rolleyes:

I AM ONLY KIDDING!!!

Joe Walsh
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
...... Ibtl.

Bluerauder
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Its kind of sad when u think about it.... but thats the way alot of young ppl like me think. all the older model vehicles i have looked at i would tend to go to the ones an older white person owned cuz it seemed more well kept.

i feel like im about to get attacked.... just let me have it
Sounds alot like racial-age profiling to me. ;) Think about it.

Phrog_gunner
08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Sounds alot like racial-age profiling to me. ;) Think about it.

In before the old white lady lock......

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
its like this.... if im in the market to buy a box chevy (box chevy = caprice/impala between the years 79'-90')
who would i rather buy it from?.... the older white woman who drives it 45mph and has it garaged kept and looks like she has never street raced it before, only uses it on the weekends to go to church and walgreens... or the young dude who looks like he went to hell and back in it and molested the interior and everything else?.....
I would rather get a prestine vehicle and b the first one to moleste it... i dont want someone elses molestation... ya feel me?

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
its the way society is.... sorry
the profiling has worked out for me

enough about it tho. thank u all for answering my questions about the odometer

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
close it, end it, delete it

RoyLPita
08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
You can try for a carfax report to see if the mileage has not turned over.

Mike M
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Just an observation here.....I joined MM.net almost 7 years ago and in all the post I created I'm pretty sure I never brought up race for any reason...good or bad.
I guess I just think differently then you do.

Paul T. Casey
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Don't care about any race that doesn't use my car myself, but back on topic, Check the alignment of the numbers. After the first time around, or any roll back, they won't quite align. Carpet wear, pedal wear, etc are other good indicators, unless the car was kept real clean. I don't have a lot of wear on mine, 213K miles, because I keep the dirt and gravel out.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Back on topic here, what kind of car are you looking at?

sd8683
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Now Mac, if "I"
Was looking to buy an old car with a 5 digit odo, and I pull up to to the place to check it out, and a young black guy walks out and I say nevermind, not interested because you say it has 67xxx but since you're young and black it must have 267xxx. Get my point??? Profiling isn't cool, its RACIST!

ctrlraven
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
You can try for a carfax report to see if the mileage has not turned over.
That's what I would check first to at least give you some idea. It will help if the vehicle has had multiple owners since the mileage will have to be recorded each time a new title has been issued. GL.

Blk Mamba
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
many times after a 5 digit odometer rolls over the first zero is slightly mis-aligned, take a look.

69marquis conv
08-20-2009, 02:48 PM
You really know the right questions to ask to make a guy feel old!

so what im askin is.. on the 5 didgit odoms after 99,999k what does the odometer show?...

RoyLPita
08-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Here is a weird one: I am looking at a 1998 Cougar XR7 with the digital dash. It will go to 199,999 and then back 100,000.

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Back on topic here, what kind of car are you looking at?

87' buick regal t-type (not a GN clone)
since i cant afford a damn Grand national
was in the local auto trader book, tryin to go view it this weekend

they say it has 71k original miles.......... asking 3800... no way will i give them that, maybe 3200 if its official, white burgandy interior

Mac-MerC
08-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Now Mac, if "I"
Was looking to buy an old car with a 5 digit odo, and I pull up to to the place to check it out, and a young black guy walks out and I say nevermind, not interested because you say it has 67xxx but since you're young and black it must have 267xxx. Get my point??? Profiling isn't cool, its RACIST!

u are in your bubble and im in mine
in my bubble and many other ppl's bubble thats how it works
u might think its ackward because u are on the other side of the spectrum.

this thread was to ask about the odometer on older model cars, im sorry if i offended anyone with the "ol white lady" comment

ive recieved some good insite on what to look for when i go and view the car. thank u all

the end
curtains