PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Ford Interceptor

Vortex
08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I see hp is now indicated at 250, I wonder if thats from dual exhaust or what? Also, check out the colors you can order, its kindof a damn shame you cant order a Grand Marquis in half those colors and no black interiors on a GM either.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads/brochures/2010/Police_brochure.pdf

de minimus
08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Very interesting. Why would anyone want anything but a police Vic.

cruzer
08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
If they get enough orders for the Crown Vic, do you think they'll keep the Panther factory open for a longer period of time--I just wish they had offered a more powerful engine--then it would be perfect. Glad to see our boys in blue can at least have a car that protect them. Maury

-Matt-
08-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah i thought they were closing the panther division

DOOM
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
If they get enough orders for the Crown Vic, do you think they'll keep the Panther factory open for a longer period of time--I just wish they had offered a more powerful engine--then it would be perfect. Glad to see our boys in blue can at least have a car that protect them. Maury

Hopefully the 2011-2012 CVPI's will have the modular 5.0 motors in them. :banana2:

-Matt-
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
........ oh and i want ballistic door panels!!

FormulaMarauder
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I see hp is now indicated at 250, I wonder if thats from dual exhaust or what?

All CVPI have dual and have always had dual. I wonder if the cam grind is different. Maybe better flowing heads. Last years was 225hp I think.

• Exhaust system – Dual stainless steel

TAKEDOWN
08-26-2009, 11:47 PM

Looks like Chicago is getting rid of the crown vics for the new Chevy Tahoes.

W4LTD
08-27-2009, 02:04 AM
All CVPI have dual and have always had dual. I wonder if the cam grind is different. Maybe better flowing heads. Last years was 225hp I think.

• Exhaust system – Dual stainless steel

If I'm not mistaken, the P71 has been rated at 250 HP for a while, 239 HP for the civilian LX model (due to a smaller MAF and single exhaust)...

Bradley G
08-27-2009, 03:36 AM
If history repeats itself....:D

RoyLPita
08-27-2009, 04:17 AM
The CVPI has been at 250 HP since 2004. It went to drive by wire in 2005.

vonirkinshtine
08-27-2009, 04:23 AM
St. Thomas is slated to end production of the Panther line after the 2011 model year.

Vortex
08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
So are the dual exhausts the reason for the hp bump?

ctrlraven
08-27-2009, 07:30 AM
CVPI 250hp, CVLXSprt 239hp, CVLX 225hp, CV Taxi 212-220hp.

It's the dual exhaust and retuning of the MAFS and computer. Most of Ford's cars are under tuned to start with.

mrjones
08-27-2009, 07:40 AM
I still don't get it? Why no 3 valve and 6speed auto? It's already out there in the Explorer.

SHERIFF
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
I still don't get it? Why no 3 valve and 6speed auto? It's already out there in the Explorer.

Because they don't need it. If a cop gets in a pursuit exceeding speeds of 110 and 120 mph, he/she has no business continuing the pursuit.

Green96
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I like the sale pitch section, especially the part about no torque steer issues. It sure would be nice if they would push the benefits of RWD with the civilian market.....Oh wait they can't because it points out a gaping hole in their current line-up.

Phrog_gunner
08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I like the sale pitch section, especially the part about no torque steer issues. It sure would be nice if they would push the benefits of RWD with the civilian market.....Oh wait they can't because it points out a gaping hole in their current line-up.

The proof is in the pudding. There is a reason why mfrs like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo have almost all RWD cars.

Green96
08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
The proof is in the pudding. There is a reason why mfrs like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo have almost all RWD cars.

Actually, Volvo has mostly FWD and AWD don't they? BMW and Mercedes consider FWD "inferior".. I have to agree.

Phrog_gunner
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Actually, Volvo has mostly FWD and AWD don't they? BMW and Mercedes consider FWD "inferior".. I have to agree.

I stand corrected about the Volvo. But from what I understand about their FWD is that they succumbed to it (reluctantly) in the 80's and instead of retooling to go back to RWD and then retooling (in the future) to all AWD, they just skipped the step of RWD and want to eventually offer only AWD platforms.

But ze Germans really do hate the FWD. I also agree.

DEFYANT
08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
The CVPI will be axed mainly due to increasing CARB standards. The CVPI can't keep up. I wonder if they (Ford) could get an exemption and continue to produce the car?

babbage
08-28-2009, 05:27 AM
It's had 250hp since 2004 - It's got the MM Box & MAF.

Bigdogjim
08-28-2009, 05:46 AM
WHAT other police car can withstand a 75 MPH rear hit? 4 door sedans that is?

Vortex
08-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Ford is going to have to make a tough decision on the Panther (yeah, I know what theyve said so far). I know the CARB issue is probably the main reason to close it but if you check out the sales figures I posted earlier and then extrapolate to the end of the year they will sell around 100,000 Panthers in 2009. That is an awful lot of profit to walk away from, esp. when you consider the tooling and other associated costs were paid for by these cars 15 years ago or so. It may come down to how much profit is produced when compared with the F-150 because if you can only produce so many big vehicles with a certain mpg rating it may be better to make a few less F-150s. Also, I dont think the heavy CARB hit comes til around 2015 (or thereabouts) anyway. My two centavos.

juno
08-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Too bad they don't slip the 3 valve and a 5 speed auto in them.

BlackVic_P71
08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Volvo HAD all RWD until the 850 in '92 I think . I had a '90 240(my first RWD) and there is a whole group of guys out there that have 5.0L Mustang engines in theirs.
I had seen a 2009 Police Interceptor for sale on ebay and it said that it wasn't California Emissions legal so can't be registered in CA or NY that I know of, I guess there was a loophole for government agencies in regards to the emissions inspection. Gotta get another one before their all gone.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
sure would be nice if they would push the benefits of RWD with the civilian market....
To the un-trained driver, there is none. I drive hard and have driven powerful FWD vs powerful RWD cars and the FWD cars are harder to get in trouble with. Torque steer aside (which even with the 260 hp FWD car I had was nothing bad at all), it is a lot easier for an unskilled driver to manage FWD accelerating hard around corners, and in inclement weather, than RWD. I would know because I would put myself in the aggressive but not professionally trained driver catagory and I have had a lot of near misses with RWD and very few with FWD cars. You aren't gonna kick the rear out under power with an FWD and with an open front differential, even if you are blowing the pass. front tire away the car still stays straight. A limited slip front diff would probably make that a totally different story but those are almost never used. FWD, as much as it sucks for straight line high HP situations, didn't become popular for normal cars by accident.

J.bo
08-28-2009, 07:54 PM
How does it take a 75 mph rear hit without fuel tank damage? They have a special fuel tank?

BlackVic_P71
08-28-2009, 08:57 PM
It's the power of the 'Cop Chip'

W4LTD
08-28-2009, 09:34 PM
It's the power of the 'Cop Chip'

LOL, :burnout:

stryker
08-28-2009, 10:13 PM
:rolleyes: I want one of these Panthers what I have to do to buy one of these Interceptors? now with "Flex Fuel"

rayjay
08-29-2009, 02:26 AM
In last years side by side tests the CV was among the slowest police vehicles. They are preferred only for their interior and trunk space. They are also very reliable. Chicago better get 4x4 Tahoes. The 2WD can't get out of its own way in the snow. I just spec'd out a Durango for my PD. Not the greatest, but our last one was much more trouble free than than our Impalas. It will hold a lot equipment though and is 4x4 for our infamous winters. As far as why anyone would buy something other than a CV? PRICE. We bought our Impalas, fully equipped except radio/computer for less than the price of a CV unequipped.

FormulaMarauder
08-29-2009, 03:53 AM
http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.c om/timeline.html

gdmjoe
08-29-2009, 05:37 AM
babbage ... It's got the MM Box & MAF.
It's like the MM airbox and MAF.

However ..... the MAF is integrated to/with the top of the airbox and cannot be separated.
the MAF tables are different. *the MM has more potential.
different air filters.

gdmjoe
08-29-2009, 05:46 AM
FormulaMarauder - All CVPI have dual and have always had dual.
As do P74s.

I wonder if the cam grind is different. Maybe better flowing heads.
In any given year, the P71s get the same cam and heads as the other models.

Last years was 225hp I think.
http://www.moldyrabbit.com/liquid/power_chart.jpg
*Courtesy Liquid.

Vortex
08-29-2009, 06:08 AM
CVPIs may not be the fastest out there (im sure the hemi Dodge is the fastest) but having used all of them I still like the CVPI the best for a bunch of reasons;

interior room, comfort plus wide enough for radios
easy to repair
body on frame makes it a truck with a car body (as was mentioned with push bars)
plenty of equipment designed for it
good performance (as was said above, 120 is as fast as a pursuit needs to go)
good handling when compared to Impala and SUVs

The Charger does have alot going for it but its too small and unibody isnt tough enough. The Impala, well, its ok for city use....

rayjay
08-29-2009, 06:43 PM
good performance (as was said above, 120 is as fast as a pursuit needs to go)
good handling when compared to Impala and SUVs

The Charger does have alot going for it but its too small and unibody isnt tough enough. The Impala, well, its ok for city use....

The Charger rides like a truck from the 60's IMHO. I'm just not comfortable in it. You are certainly correct about the handling as compared to the SUVs and the Impala. I was doing 90ish on a back up call in my Impala. The road curved to the left, my Impala decided it was going straight, not left until I hard inputted left. Luckily I had time to swallow my heart before I arrived. As for SUVs, NO high speed pursuits in SUVs! I'm too old anyway :D

DEFYANT
08-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Superior driving skills in a slower car will catch an inferior driver with a fast car.

I was able to run down a Nissan 350Z on back country roads in my ole marked 02 CVPI.

JUST 1BULLITT
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
LONG MAY THEY (CVPI's) LIVE! Is all I can say! You just can't beat 'em for comfort, performance and utility...as Elwood Blues says..."it's got cop shocks, cop tires, cop suspension and it'll run good on regular gas...is it the 'new BLUES MOBILE' or WHAT?! :beer: