PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here built a backyard rink?

CRUZTAKER
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Just as the title states, I am thinking of building a backyard rink.
There is a ton of info on 'how to' on the internet, and I think I can do this with little trouble.

I only have one area on the property that is relatively level. Relative meaning an 6" drop. The lumber will definately be the big set back with a drop of this nature. The area will easily accomodate a 20'x50' enclosure.

What concerns me is is how does the grass beneath tolerate this over the season?

This is what I want to do:

http://www.myfamilylovesit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/untitled-601.jpg

gja
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Grass? It's dead meat. Believe me, it does not survive this.
Others may have different opinions but, fair warning, the lawn croaks under it.

Dragcity
08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Yup, grass is a gonner. When using the plastic liner, the water will find it's own level.

We used to just water down hard packed snow when we were kids. My Dad hated us....

I remember my neighbor friend thought it was great idea, and applied water to their driveway one cold February night.... His Dad was perplexed why he could not make it up the drive that night. Another unhappy Dad.

CRUZTAKER
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
We used to just water down hard packed snow when we were kids. My Dad hated us....

I remember my neighbor friend thought it was great idea, and applied water to their driveway one cold February night....

:lol:

The driveway is how we do it now.... :hide:

Thanks, I like my grass. The driveway it is.

Donny Carlson
08-27-2009, 07:33 PM
You do realise it's stll August? Send some of that cold Ohio air down here to the hot South. I sweated my huge butt off today.

hot-rauder
08-27-2009, 09:44 PM
we used to just freeze the entire backyard with water and then play IceSoccer.... looking back I cans ee why it would not be a great idea lol.

Marauderjack
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
What's a "rink"......looks like a real shallow swimmin' pool to me....maybe an otter pool??:confused::cool:

Dragcity
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Stop it Jack ! Probably closing my pool next week. Nights in the 40's here already. Gonna be a looooong winter.

Marauderjack
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry Joe.....I couldn't help it!!!:rolleyes:

I DON'T envy you "Snow Birds"!!!:shake:

CRUZTAKER
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Well... I just spoke with one of those folks that have blogs regarding backyard ice rinks in regards to the grass below.
His reply is as follows:

"The question we're asked most frequently is: doesn't the rink kill the grass? No. Indeed, the plastic liner serves as a kind of green house so that the grass that had been under the rink is often turning green ahead of the rest of the yard. "

Maybe I WILL build this thing afterall.... :dunno:

baltimoremm
08-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Is there a zamboni conversion kit for the marauder?

CRUZTAKER
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Is there a zamboni conversion kit for the marauder?

It does have an intercooler... :thinker: :P

hot-rauder
08-28-2009, 09:57 PM
AJ prolly has the conversion on his MM... lmao

Paul T. Casey
08-31-2009, 07:06 AM
I used to build one in my yard back when I lived in Worcester. Nothing as big as the picture you have. Probably 24' x 32'. The ground was really level, so I just used 4 x 4's for the "frame." Made the liner out of cheap plastic dropcloth and good duct tape. I didn't have any issues with the lawn. I would think as long as you put it up while the grass is dormant (probably mid to late November) and remove it before spring, it should be alright. Instead of the Zamboni-Marauder conversion, your leaf blower is good for minor repairs to the ice surface.

rayjay
08-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Probably closing my pool next week. Nights in the 40's here already. Gonna be a looooong winter.

+1 on the winter Joe. Summer, what is it? One warm, not hot, week here. Not one day in the 90's...

larryo340
08-31-2009, 09:14 AM
We used to flood the backyard of a friend and let it freeze over, his mom didn't seem to mind much. We didn't put plastic down or use wood for the borders just packed some snow around the perimeter and turned the hose on. The grass always came back.