PDA

View Full Version : More Panther News

Vortex
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090828/AUTO01/908280392

Blk Mamba
08-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Good read, and some hope for the future of the panther base, hopefully Ford will realize the need for a large patrol car. I find it hard to believe that all the agencies only purchase 80,000 units a year.

Hacklemerc
08-29-2009, 12:04 AM
AS an LEO I have driven an Impala, a CVPI, and a Dodge Intrepid. Out of these three vehicles the best one hands down is the Crown Vic. In the Impala I felt like I needed a shoe horn to get in and out with all my gear on (I'm 6'1" 195lbs without gear). The Intrepid was just a heap of crap that felt cheap and couldn't run down jack. For my money, the Crown Vic is the best Squad out there. ITs durable, fast, roomy, and its a Ford. I have been told that the Dodge Chargers leave the Crown Vic in the dust speed wise tho. But those same LEO's that drive them say they would rather have a CVPI because of the durability.

I have seen three CVPI's totalled out in chases, and in each case the LEO walked away with minor injuries. If my dept ever switches to another car I'm gonna be one disgruntled guy. My duty squad is an 08 CVPI.

Bigdogjim
08-29-2009, 06:24 AM
I always why Ford never boosted the engine output or simply switched to 5.4L?

DEFYANT
08-29-2009, 07:19 AM
I will miss this car.

TAKEDOWN
08-29-2009, 07:29 AM
You can see the Crown Vics slowly disappearing in Chicago, being replaced with the Chevy Tahoes. Enjoy em while they last fellas!

justbob
08-29-2009, 07:59 AM
"The Charger is nice looking," he said. "But from a mechanical standpoint, they are not up to par with the Crown Vic."

LOVE IT!

JUST 1BULLITT
08-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, long live the Crown Vic! CAN'T believe less than 100K units are sold for L.E. & Official purposes. ..bummer. I know I'll always want to have one in my stable. Thanks for sending the link w/ Updates!

PhastPhil
08-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I have heard from someone who is working on the project, that Ford is building and testing a Flex for Police duty. Roush is involved with the project, and even one of the major Police equipment outfitters is involved. The company who does the outfitting, lights, sirens, etc, is where I heard this. I don't know if it is supposed to be secret information. That is why I didn't state the company's name. But I think that if the outfitter company is involved in dressing it up, they must be doing more than just " thinking " about a Flex PI.

alarmguy
08-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Seen this one yet?

www.carbonmotors.com

Vortex
08-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Isnt the "Flex" (god what a crappy name) just a tall, odd looking Taurus station wagon that took the place of the more normal looking Taurus X wagon? I bet they keep the Panther thru 2012 due to the upcoming CAW negotiations.

Marauder Rick
08-30-2009, 07:04 AM
If your talkn bout cop cars, most of the force is going with the new trend...which is Chrysler. In the early 90's it was Chevy, then Ford, and now the new "thing" is Chargers and Magnums. However, the force has used Fords more than anything, even b4 Chevy so maybe they will make an attempt to stay true.

SHERIFF
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Due to the most recent press release, almost certain 2011 being the last year of production of
the CVPI (99.99% chance), I have ended my search for a brand new 2009 or 2010 model.

I am going to wait now and land a 2011 model when possible. I want a part of history, the last year of production.

juno
08-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Isnt the "Flex" (god what a crappy name) just a tall, odd looking Taurus station wagon that took the place of the more normal looking Taurus X wagon? I bet they keep the Panther thru 2012 due to the upcoming CAW negotiations.

The flex is the big square box. Didn't like it at first, but it is growing on me. Especially since it has the ecoboost and AWD. Nothing quite like it on the market.

JUST 1BULLITT
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm WITH YOU SHERIFF!! (By then I SHOULD have some other car loans paid off and can afford to I HOPE!) We'll all have to keep each other posted on this as it develops. It'd be NICE to see at least another 3-4 Year Run of these yet and it only helps us current CVPI owners w/ plentiful parts supplies around...
Due to the most recent press release, almost certain 2011 being the last year of production of
the CVPI (99.99% chance), I have ended my search for a brand new 2009 or 2010 model.

I am going to wait now and land a 2011 model when possible. I want a part of history, the last year of production.