PDA

View Full Version : Shortage for Hybrids. Oh no.

4rgone
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
From what I know the mining techniques used to get the rare earths needed for these vehicles are just as bad for the environment as are good old 18mpg gas drinking earth chewing machines. Use this info to tell your irritating hybrid friend to shut it.
Here is the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32632068/ns/us_news-environment/

ImpalaSlayer
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
this is why hybrids fail and are no more green then a carbed 390

ckadiddle
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Great! Now we can be extorted by a DIFFERENT foreign country for a change..... :-)

SpartaPerformance
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Oh Yea! Hybrids are biggest scams, they are dirty to produce and the has anybody ever asked where they're gonna put the batteries when they die? Hybrids are :bs:

Marauderjack
09-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Also, what is going to happen when the demand on the "Power Grid" triples!!! :argue::mad2:

Lights out....Kalifornia!!!:eek: :shake:

Bigdogjim
09-02-2009, 03:31 AM
I would rather see it go for wind turbines then cars.

FordNut
09-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Yeah, the demand for these rare earth elements for automobiles will make it much more expensive to build windmills for power generation. Wonderful.

Joe Walsh
09-02-2009, 06:29 AM
"That makes Toyota's market-leading gasoline-electric hybrid car and other similar vehicles vulnerable to a supply crunch predicted by experts as China, the world's dominant rare earths producer, limits exports while global demand swells."

I'm sure that China would play fair in the global market.
Plus they have a great record as an environmentally friendly country.

"Worldwide demand for rare earths, covering 15 entries on the periodic table of elements, is expected to exceed supply by some 40,000 tons annually in several years unless major new production sources are developed. One promising U.S. source is a rare earths mine slated to reopen in California by 2012."

I'm suprised that the flakes in California who drive Hybrids didn't protest to prevent the mine's reopening.....:shake:

Breadfan
09-02-2009, 06:56 AM
".... One promising U.S. source is a rare earths mine slated to reopen in California by 2012."

I'm suprised that the flakes in California who drive Hybrids didn't protest to prevent the mine's reopening.....:shake:

They probably are protesting it which is why it's "slated" to reopen over 2 years from now.

FordNut
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey, California should just suck it up and take a hit on their local environment. They will be contributing to saving the planet, you know.

LIGHTNIN1
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Its about time for a HYbrid car burning celebration.Maybe we can get the bra burners to light things off.:flamer: