PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Liquor = ?

Motorhead350
09-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I was reading a book last night and Henry Ford was mentioned. It stated he was anti-liquor. My question is what did this mean? I know Irish people used to ask for liquor on the job, but this was in the 1800s and I don't know if it carried on to the early 1900s. Did anti-liquor mean while at the job or.... did it mean he didn't drink at all? Also was it just liquor or was it any beverage containing alcohol? I am guessing it had to do with workers or he hated all things alcohol period. Do you know which one it is?

RoyLPita
09-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess he didn't touch the stuff.

O's Fan Rich
09-07-2009, 04:37 PM
It means he was trying to keep his wife happy.

There was alot of that thought back then. Many States became "dry". That's what lead to Prohibition... one of the BIGGEST DEBACLES in the history of this Nation.
It lead to the firming up of organized crime, and of course, the amassing of the Kennedy Fortune and trust funds.

Mr. Man
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I thought Aren was banned.

SpartaPerformance
09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Henry Ford was many things but I don't believe he was anti liquor in general, I thinks it meant while on duty but then again you never know.

Phrog_gunner
09-07-2009, 05:00 PM
That really doesn't suprise me. Henry Ford was known for intruding into his workers lives (it was good intentioned) to help them any way he could so that they would be able to concentrate on work when they were at work and not have to work about family problems etc. Along the same lines he set a minimum wage and the 40 hour work week because he realized if he kept his workers happy, they would stay at his company. This would save him the time and effort of retraining new people and the quality of his product would stay high because the work wasn't constantly being done by "new" workers. He knew the value of experience.....

Bigdogjim
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
First off #350 not every Irishmen drinks:)

Now I am sure you could google his name?

Donny Carlson
09-07-2009, 07:41 PM
First off #350 not every Irishmen drinks:)

Now I am sure you could google his name?

Where's the fun in that?;)

Black Dynamite
09-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Well he was extremely right-wing and the temperance movement was a right-wing tenet as I recall.

I believe it's his antisemitism that is most often spoke of however.

Motorhead350
09-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I thought Aren was banned.

He is. You bring nothing to the table.

TAKEDOWN
09-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Does it have anything to do with the guys back in the day sneaking around alcohol, choppin' up Fords to make them run faster to avoid Police. Prohibition days?

SC Cheesehead
09-08-2009, 07:16 AM
I found this.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cUwVLn3jVsIC&pg=PA248&lpg=PA248&dq=henry+ford+liquor&source=bl&ots=CBlTDVHdYs&sig=3eJZhvAPpyvq_TTqL9q-v1mB8p0&hl=en&ei=4mSmSs7eIYGuNsf7lM4P&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=henry%20ford%20liquor&f=false

After checking out some other links, seems like old Henry Sr. had his share of other prejudices along with being anti-liquor.