PDA

View Full Version : insurance estimate

duhtroll
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
OK, so I took the Marauder to work yesterday instead of my normal daily driver.

Therefore, the one day I leave my DD in the street in front of my house, it gets backed into by a guy working on the neighbor's house. He admits it and insurance company is handling it. My company arrived before his for the estimate.

The driver's door is bashed in and the mirror needs replacing, but still driveable and really not a huge deal.

The adjuster for my company wrote up for replacement parts a used door instead of a new one. The one I had was in like new condition - i.e. no scratches or anything, good paint, everything functional, etc. so I am wondering why not a new door?

The vehicle is a 2001 so maybe that is why - can't get a new door???

Anyone have experience with these things?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
2001 is too old for new parts by a lot of insurance companies. I mean thats an 8 year old car. If it's older than 3 years old they are gonna write it as LKQ (like kind and quality, your door on the car even though nice, was a used door, so they are gonna replace it with a used door not a new door). Sometimes if you make noise w/ the insurance company you can get them to amend the estimate for new parts but its tough to do. I had a body shop do a terrible job repairing instead of replacing my Marauder rear bumper cover and I refused the repair, and the manager of the shop would not stand behind it but Geico stood up for me and looked at the repair and agreed it was sub par, and they had the shop re-do the repair using an OEM new cover. But Geico had to pay for that additional work against my policy so who knows if that made my "risk" factor go up due to the cost of the repair going up.

My money is on, you are stuck with a used door. A new door probably cost a huge fraction of the car and the insurance company can't stay in business operating that way.

CRUZTAKER
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Once repainted it will appear new again.

Get a relationship with the repairing shop and have them use your interior skins and such if they look better.

The only concern I would have would be with the electronics in the door if equiped.

However, I can only assume that your ins. co. works similar to mine and if you go to one of their certified repair shops, they will warrant the work for life.

Remember when I damn near totalled my Focus?
It has been back twice for repaints when the paint started to peel and orange peel showed. It has been back over a year later when I found a broken fog light bracket while replacing a lamp. And most recently there is loose suspension part knocking around up front, and they will correct that as well.

When the front of my 2006 Focus was replaced entirely windshield forward, everything was used parts aside from the battery, and the airbox/filter. The headlights were aftermarket, so those were ordered new from the same company...get this....off eBay lol.

SILVERSURFER03
09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
+ 1

duhtroll
09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
they did warranty the work for life.

I will ask them to use the interior as mine is currently very clean with flawless fabric.

Once repainted it will appear new again.

Get a relationship with the repairing shop and have them use your interior skins and such if they look better.

The only concern I would have would be with the electronics in the door if equiped.

However, I can only assume that your ins. co. works similar to mine and if you go to one of their certified repair shops, they will warrant the work for life.

Remember when I damn near totalled my Focus?
It has been back twice for repaints when the paint started to peel and orange peel showed. It has been back over a year later when I found a broken fog light bracket while replacing a lamp. And most recently there is loose suspension part knocking around up front, and they will correct that as well.

When the front of my 2006 Focus was replaced entirely windshield forward, everything was used parts aside from the battery, and the airbox/filter. The headlights were aftermarket, so those were ordered new from the same company...get this....off eBay lol.

Phrog_gunner
09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I just had my door replaced. The new door was a little over $200 more than the used door that the insurance company wrote it for. I guess it just depends how much it is worth it to you.

duhtroll
09-11-2009, 06:45 AM
It is not a big deal - I was merely curious as to why they would spend the time searching junkyards when two clicks would order a new one.