PDA

View Full Version : The truck has a steering issue again...

Motorhead350
09-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Here is what happened before and happened again. I started up my 90 K5. let it run for 30 seconds (I drove it a few hours earlier) and as soon as I went to pull it out of the parking space the power steering wasn't working. It worked soon later after I turned into an alley and then the issue came back. The steering will be very unresponsive to the steering wheel.

I will turn the wheel to get the truck straight, but it won't stay straight. It will jerk to the left or to the right. At times I will have to have the wheel turned half way to the left to keep it straight and then all of the sudden if I turn it far enough it will go to the left as if I jerked the wheel half way over.

This problem was solved when a right side outer tie rod was replaced. It was fine for a week and a half until the power steering give me this issue. I was told the power steering pump an issue before and it leaks, but if that was the case I would think the power steering wouldn't work at all.

Is the pump the simple issue or is this something else? I am really in the dark on this one. Anything you throw at me is great.

Thanks.

Just what I need. Both vehicles broken again. It always happens in 2's!

Rocknthehawk
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
There is a nut behind the steering wheel that's loose.

oh...wait....

Motorhead350
09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
That's never an issue with Chevys, just Ford truck owners.

:flamer:

Rocknthehawk
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
That's never an issue with Chevys, just Ford truck owners.

:flamer:

As of.....8 hours ago, I don't own a ford truck ;)

I really think it's just a few screws loose. Sadly I don't know if thats an easy fix

bob6364
09-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Fluid level when warm to low?
Loose Belt?
Worn Belt?
Power Steering pumps will last eleventybillion miles if not over revved or run dry...so replace as a last resort.

Paul T. Casey
09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
my 90 K5.

It's a 20 year old Chevy truck. You have 2 choices. Start throwing copious ammounts of cash at it, or look for a nice Ford truck.

Motorhead350
09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
It's a 20 year old Chevy truck. You have 2 choices. Start throwing copious ammounts of cash at it, or look for a nice Ford truck.

I am fixing it. I thought you would understand that by the topic. If I wanted a new truck I would have worded it differently.

Besides all I can afford to do is keep fixing the old stuff. I do not have $20,000 to blow on something new. If I could I would.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
the K series trucks are solid and last forever. I don't know why your power assist would intermittently not work though, if the fluid is full and it makes boost some of the time.

SILVERSURFER03
09-11-2009, 10:26 AM
power steering gear worn out maybe ...... and i have tossed more money at every ford i have owened over the years and almost nada at my 300k chevy pick up

Motorhead350
09-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Brian, I don't know where those trucks have been, but mine has been though 20 winters without a season out. It has never rested and has pretty much been a daily driver for 20 years. The salt will ware out any vehicle quicker.

Or maybe I just happen to be the lucky one.

Nice truck BTW!

Stranger in the Black Sedan
09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
^ I have a 250k mile K series of that generation but it doesn't look quite that nice!