PDA

View Full Version : New SHO

guspech750
09-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I stopped by our local ford dealer to look at the new SHO. :eek: $45,000+ for the black one:eek:. So I look at the brownish redish color and it was much more reasonable at $42,000+ :lol:

Thats a lot of $$$$$$$$$. I guess I will have to wait to find one at Car Max in a few years:(

Vortex
09-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Nobody is going to pay 45k for a Taurus.

W4LTD
09-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Seems like this is going to be like the Marauder reintroduction in 2003...

Phrog_gunner
09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I can't find on the Ford website how much the SHO weighs. I figure it must be heavy with AWD but I've never seen a website not tell the weight of the car. And the "ECO Boost" doesn't seem to boost too much, it only gets one MPG (17/25) more on the highway than a MM.

Bradley G
09-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Don't bet your money!

FordNut
09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Ridiculous.

Bradley G
09-13-2009, 02:56 PM
With AWD and WAAAAy more ponies and better mileage :confused:How does that not compute to a benefit?

I can't find on the Ford website how much the SHO weighs. I figure it must be heavy with AWD but I've never seen a website not tell the weight of the car. And the "ECO Boost" doesn't seem to boost too much, it only gets one MPG (17/25) more on the highway than a MM.

Bradley G
09-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Test drive, Then pop off!

Ridiculous.

Joe Walsh
09-13-2009, 03:45 PM

They are pigs.....they weigh 200 lbs more than our Marauders!...:eek:

If FORD had managed to keep the new SHO under 2 tons and $40,000 I might be interested in one.

4rgone
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
If I remember correctly the SHO is going to weigh about 200lbs more then the Marauder.

FastMerc
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I saw one also at a dealer It was a charcole color I think,It looks cool and has power but typical of Ford to sell there new hot rod for way to much.If I were to pay that for a four door I pop the extra and go for the Shelby,hell why not! :D

Phrog_gunner
09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
With AWD and WAAAAy more ponies and better mileage :confused:How does that not compute to a benefit?

All I'm talking about is the term "ECO boost", it's suppose to imply fuel efficiency?? I wouldn't call a V-6 with 1 MPG highway more than a V-8 "better mileage". That's all I'm saying.

But since we are talking about benefits, I'm no mechanical engineer, but I'm sure I could make up the 63 hp with the $30k difference between the price of my car and a new sho.

4rgone
09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I know I am going to get boo'd out of the forum for saying this, but why not just get a Infinity M45, more hp, probably better on gas probably performs better as well.... I know I know, I should just keep my mouth shut, i'll leave now.

Phrog_gunner
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I know I am going to get boo'd out of the forum for saying this, but why not just get a Infinity M45, more hp, probably better on gas probably performs better as well.... I know I know, I should just keep my mouth shut, i'll leave now.

Whatever floats your boat, I'm all about getting more for your money. :beer:

Mach1Marauder
09-13-2009, 04:15 PM

Pssssst............MSRP!;)

Don't knock it until you try it.
It will outrun and out handle a stock Marauder.

ImpalaSlayer
09-13-2009, 04:35 PM
its one hell of an ugly car :puke:

guspech750
09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Oh. I also looked at the new Hyundai Genesis sedan with the 4.6 liter v-8 making 375 hp, rear wheel drive. very very nice looking but it too was $40,000+. What the hell!!!

offroadkarter
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
They are pigs.....they weigh 200 lbs more than our Marauders!...:eek:

If FORD had managed to keep the new SHO under 2 tons and $40,000 I might be interested in one.

Yeah and they run mid 13's stock...

meaning, they are actually fast, unlike marauders...

Someone on SVTP already bought a black one, its a nice car

ledzilla
09-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh. I also looked at the new Hyundai Genesis sedan with the 4.6 liter v-8 making 375 hp, rear wheel drive. very very nice looking but it too was $40,000+. What the hell!!!

Of course, who in the right mind would pay more than $20K for a Hyundai, new or otherwise? Or am I thinking of a Kia... Bah, I wouldn't pay actual real money for either.

offroadkarter
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Of course, who in the right mind would pay more than $20K for a Hyundai, new or otherwise? Or am I thinking of a Kia... Bah, I wouldn't pay actual real money for either.

They can say as many times as they want they didnt copy the ford design, but IMO their 4.6 and 3.8 looks like the ford 4.6 and 3.8

Asians copy everything 500 times over and resell it under a new name, its not new for them...

gja
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Pssssst............MSRP!;)

Don't knock it until you try it.
It will outrun and out handle a stock Marauder.

PSSSt....not mine, on either count...

MrBluGruv
09-13-2009, 06:02 PM
They can say as many times as they want they didnt copy the ford design, but IMO their 4.6 and 3.8 looks like the ford 4.6 and 3.8

Asians copy everything 500 times over and resell it under a new name, its not new for them...

+1

back when I owned a Mitsubishi, I used to look for performance parts all the time with no success, largely because I knew little about cars at the time and nobody bothers with parts for Galants,
but the point of the story is their 4-cyl motors of the time (4G63) were known to have great improvements if you swapped the head off a Kia version of essentially the same motor. Talk about disgraceful... at least Hyundai is shaping up to be quite an auto company these days, not gonna lie a lot of their cars look pretty nice, especially the Genesis range and the Sonatas

SpartaPerformance
09-13-2009, 06:14 PM
The new SHO weighs about 4.200lbs and I've seen them in Magazines run 13.7 in the1/4 mile and an EcoBoost MK-s run 13.7 on you tube also, so Ecoboost hase its benefits to get a bloated sedan like that in the 13's and 17/25 mpg on an AWD drivetrain. Ford is also going EcoBoost mainstream, within the next year or two its base motor in almost everything will be a 2.4L Ecoboost 4 cyl making 240HP.

DOOM
09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Can't wait to see what they do at the track.

SpartaPerformance
09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Can't wait to see what they do at the track.

SHO at the track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ISU6fNTq0)

Vortex
09-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Actually if I was even thinking of spending 45k on a Taurus Id just go ahead a borrow another 3k and buy that 500hp Firehawk in the other thread.

LIGHTNIN1
09-13-2009, 10:37 PM
They will sell a few for sure but don't expect your neighbor to think you did a smart thing. Paying that much for a Taurus is like driving up to the country club in a $45k Kia, parking by the Jags, and trying to convince the Jag owners you have the better car. Ain't going to be no respect.

Joe Walsh
09-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Yeah and they run mid 13's stock...

meaning, they are actually fast, unlike marauders...

The new SHO weighs about 4.200lbs and I've seen them in Magazines run 13.7 in the1/4 mile and an EcoBoost MK-s run 13.7 on you tube also, so Ecoboost hase its benefits to get a bloated sedan like that in the 13's and 17/25 mpg on an AWD drivetrain. Ford is also going EcoBoost mainstream, within the next year or two its base motor in almost everything will be a 2.4L Ecoboost 4 cyl making 240HP.

I'm not disputing that they are not fast cars...it's just disappointing that they saddled a 365HP twin turbo V6 with so much weight,
and saddled the car with such a salty MSRP.

The whole point of the Ecoboost is to increase fuel mileage and still have great performance.
Hauling around 4346 pounds in stop & go traffic will take it's toll on fuel economy.

I'm a 'dyed in the blue wool' FORD fan but;
As another member posted...sales of the new SHO might be very similar to our Marauders....:(

offroadkarter
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm not disputing that they are not fast cars...it's just disappointing that they saddled a 365HP twin turbo V6 with so much weight,
and saddled the car with such a salty MSRP.

The whole point of the Ecoboost is to increase fuel mileage and still have great performance.
Hauling around 4346 pounds in stop & go traffic will take it's toll on fuel economy.

I'm a 'dyed in the blue wool' FORD fan but;
As another member posted...sales of the new SHO might be very similar to our Marauders....:(

the SHO is the new marauder, in just about every aspect... Except the quick part

And besides, prices will drop in time, you know its a new hype car, they will want a premium price for it

Joe Walsh
09-14-2009, 07:38 AM
the SHO is the new marauder, in just about every aspect... Except the quick part....and the good looking part.

And besides, prices will drop in time, you know its a new hype car, they will want a premium price for it

There....fixed it for you!...:P

Anybody have a 1/4 mile calculator handy?
I wonder what our Marauder's would run with the Ecoboost V6 and it's 6 speed auto??

Phrog_gunner
09-14-2009, 08:29 AM

I wonder what our Marauder's would run with the Ecoboost V6 and it's 6 speed auto??

Might as well throw in a calculation for the CVT too. ;)

Joe Walsh
09-14-2009, 08:36 AM

No need, because it doesn't have a flat 8 cylinder engine...:P

O's Fan Rich
09-14-2009, 08:39 AM
The same drive train is going into the Flex, too.

Yeah..... I'm looking forward to my Lincoln lease running out!

guspech750
09-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Actually if I was even thinking of spending 45k on a Taurus Id just go ahead a borrow another 3k and buy that 500hp Firehawk in the other thread.

Great point!!!! I like your thinking.

4rgone
09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
You know I think I would just buy the Mks from Lincoln if its the same engine and runs the same time. IMHO the lincoln looks better and at least you could say I spent 40k+ on a Lincoln and not say I spent 40k+ on a Taurus, we should get a side by side pic of the two cars.

offroadkarter
09-14-2009, 05:18 PM

No 6spd, a 7spd Mercedes transmission and an aviator AWD system.

I bet you the SHO interior is miles ahead of any panther platform car. My friends dads MKS sure as hell felt nicer... Except the seats which while they were comfortable, were rock hard. I do like the plush MM seats.

The same drive train is going into the Flex, too.

Yeah..... I'm looking forward to my Lincoln lease running out!

The flex runs low 14's.... So even that toaster could outrun a stock MM

2,4shofast
09-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I will just wait a few years and pick one up used....

babbage
09-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I will just wait a few years and pick one up used....

Yep, I think in about 5 years I'll find myself a nice black SHO...

dohc324ci
09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah cant see spending 40k+ for a Taurus....maybe in 3-4 years when the price has adjusted to a reasonable amount. I bought the MM for 11K...so looking to spend the same in 3-4 years.

mrjones
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I would like to see a new Mustang with that engine in it.

blackonblack
09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree 100% but the MKS is more luxury tuned and the Ecco boost is 10hp less.

You know I think I would just buy the Mks from Lincoln if its the same engine and runs the same time. IMHO the lincoln looks better and at least you could say I spent 40k+ on a Lincoln and not say I spent 40k+ on a Taurus, we should get a side by side pic of the two cars.

4rgone
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree 100% but the MKS is more luxury tuned and the Ecco boost is 10hp less.
10 hp less, thats to bad, but you could just buy an intake and make up the difference. In the end it just really comes down to what your base is and just sitting there the Marauder is very cool and the Taurus looks tame and like a Taurus. You can always just add stuff to it, gears, SC, tune ect. It will be interesting to see what aftermarket stuff is put out for this car. Waiting a few years isn't a bad idea, lower price and more aftermarket options. The inside is amazing though. Not that concerned with my 1/4 mile time, pretty sure looking cool in the Marauder is worth at least 2 seconds :coolman:. Also at some point some guy is going to be at the stop light with you in his Taurus and when the light turns green, win or lose he will still be thinking damn I wish I had a Marauder.

SC Cheesehead
09-15-2009, 03:07 PM

No need, because it doesn't have a flat 8 cylinder engine...:P

IMO, what would really make this special would be an L version, heck, it's already AWD...;)

2,4shofast
09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Yep, I think in about 5 years I'll find myself a nice black SHO...

:stupid: The retail on SHO's has always been horrible and a couple years from now there should be some pretty good bolt ons available :beer:.

Good call on the black...I didnt know there were other colors ;)

4rgone
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Now that I think about it does Mercury get a Ecoboost Sable

SC Cheesehead
09-15-2009, 04:05 PM

I did not know this! Hmmmmm.

Phrog_gunner
09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
IMO, what would really make this special would be an L version, heck, it's already AWD...;)

So you are saying we need a LAWD version? I would comment but we arent supposed to do religious topics.....something you would only get if you have been in SC a while...

CROWNMARAUDER
09-15-2009, 04:43 PM

I read in Car & Driver or Motor Trend that the Mercury Sable is discontinued.

4rgone
09-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I read in Car & Driver or Motor Trend that the Mercury Sable is discontinued.
Then it's perfect, bring back the Taurus and the Sable, the Sable can have 5 more hp then the MKS and slightly better interior then the Taurus.
In all seriousness, why does Ford keep Mercury if they dont plan on doing anything with it?

Bradley G
09-16-2009, 03:26 AM
The 3.5 ECO in the SHO will maintain a 15 HP advantage over all other offerings that use this mill.
Haven't heard that term in a while.
Mercury better get some equal freshening or else:mad2: BYE BYE!
:censor:'ers

jerrym3
09-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Local Ford and LM dealer in north Jersey has about five tricked out new Mustangs on his lot along with tons of new Lincolns, Fords (one SHO), and medium sized Mercs. No Towncars.

One lonely Gran Marquis, "special edition" model, nice factory wheels, with thin whitewall tires. List 31K.

Compared to a lot of other cars on the lot, looks like a lot of car for the money, after discounts.

Bluerauder
10-27-2014, 04:27 AM
I kept my Marauder and got a 2012 Taurus SHO as a daily driver back in February 2012. I like 'em both but for very different reasons. I like all the creature comforts on the SHO. Sirius radio, Sync, Back-up camera (absolutely necessary), Ambient lighting/multi-color with dimming, Adaptive cruise control, Collision warning, Moonroof, heated and cooled seats, dual zone climate control, and much more. It is a very comfortable car and nice to drive. Looks and feels very plush IMHO. Very quick compared to the MM even with tune and gears.

Kinda wish that I had waited until the 2013 models were released. I like the grille and the side badging better on the 2013 SHO vs. the earlier models. Grill is not interchangeable from what I've seen.

The Marauder well .... that's my weekend and show car now. Love the roar and the handling. Interior is almost "austere" when compared to the SHO. Visibility all around is much, much better than in the SHO which is one huge blind spot on the highway. Handles like a much smaller car. Sounds great. Looks great. Draws attention.

2003 Mercury Marauder MSRP $35,385. Paid $27,500.
2012 Ford Taurus SHO MSRP $42,145. Paid $37,000.

Both cars will be making the trip to 2013 Carlisle All Ford Nationals this year. Update: Both cars took 2nd Place in their classes at Carlisle 2013 "All Ford Nationals".

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/TwoCars0002.JPG (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/20914/title/2703-marauder-and-2712-taurus-sho/cat/500)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2013Carlisle0008.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2013Carlisle0010.JPG

71cyclone
10-27-2014, 05:29 AM
Well with todays inflation and looking at what Europe is offering [ unless you are Brand conscious ] I personally think you got a fair shake and driving something reliable . the build quality of the Taurus is that of [ BANK Vault , S class BENZ ] I HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT HAS BOTH , He gave his 05 S class [bought new] to his sister in law,the Benz was75,000 new with discount and has depreciated to 12,000 with papers from American service center and ,Don Allen Mercedes service [big loss] the 2014 Tuarus Sel is staying. I guess its all in what you want, but after being retired and still working, you want your Dollar to count. Buy /American - WE need the Help ...:help:

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Holy old thread alert Batman. :eek:

For the money they want for a new SHO, might as well get a Chevy SS.

71cyclone
10-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Chevy SS from "Down Under" -" A Crackin good Motor" for the dollar [Ask any Maryland Trooper with one [detuned though] but still good for 154 mph.

fastblackmerc
10-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Holy old thread alert Batman. :eek:

For the money they want for a new SHO, might as well get a Chevy SS.

I rather push a Ford than drive a bowtie.

Friends don't let friends drive chevy's.

71cyclone
10-28-2014, 04:42 AM

Friends don't let friends drive chevy's. / Yes my Friends , there is Safety in numbers..;)

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Friends don't let friends drive chevy's.

You gotta give it to GM, they are at least listening to their customers and making interesting cars for the petrolheads. Something Ford has forgotten.. I've been wanting a hot 2-door for a couple years now, how can you say no to this? Well other than the $60k+ price tag...

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Myxi-D8Y--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_63 6/avi9tp3bahrd4l4b1i4j.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--OF8K539N--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_63 6/uyu35jg278mzwn1v7hcw.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/cadillac-ats-v-coupe-this-is-it-1651698477

Bradley G
10-28-2014, 11:51 AM
I was wondering how the SHO would weather the market.

jktipton
10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
You gotta give it to GM, they are at least listening to their customers and making interesting cars for the petrolheads. Something Ford has forgotten.. I've been wanting a hot 2-door for a couple years now, how can you say no to this? Well other than the $60k+ price tag...

The GMs boast some impressive numbers, but they look like some anonymous economy car. Half the fun of driving a fire-breather is that it catches the eye... something that can't be said about the CTS-V, SS, etc.

71cyclone
10-29-2014, 08:43 AM
The GMs boast some impressive numbers, but they look like some anonymous economy car. Half the fun of driving a fire-breather is that it catches the eye... something that can't be said about the CTS-V, SS, etc.
I agree >>>> How many ways can you build a antique ChV- Small Block and put a Caddy wrapper on it . Savin bucks in numbers is a good thing but in time Chv is gonna have to jump on the band wagon and update engine engineering .[ No criticism , just comment ]:beer:

RF Overlord
10-29-2014, 09:07 AM
The GMs boast some impressive numbers, but they look like some anonymous economy car. Half the fun of driving a fire-breather is that it catches the eye... something that can't be said about the CTS-V, SS, etc.Agreed. That ATS-V, while it may be a great car, is hella ugly. All the recent Cadillacs look like snow plows.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-29-2014, 10:23 AM

That's because these ARE economy cars for what you're getting. They compete with BMWs and AMGs which are most of the time twice the price.

I've seen CTS-Vs get attention over the Marauder. There was a lowered CTS-V wagon at a car meet which received boat loads of attention compared to the dime-a-dozen mustangs and camaros, evos, and GTRs that were around.

Agreed. That ATS-V, while it may be a great car, is hella ugly. All the recent Cadillacs look like snow plows.
I would say the coupe CTS is hella ugly. The ATS coupe is hot.

jktipton
10-29-2014, 11:55 AM
That's because these ARE economy cars for what you're getting. They compete with BMWs and AMGs which are most of the time twice the price.

I've seen CTS-Vs get attention over the Marauder. There was a lowered CTS-V wagon at a car meet which received boat loads of attention compared to the dime-a-dozen mustangs and camaros, evos, and GTRs that were around.
Just because it's not a $100K car doesn't mean it has to look like your great aunt's grocery getter. I just think they tend to be boring-looking.

There's no accounting for taste, I guess. I love my Crown Vic, but I do get told it looks like a "grandpa car" from time to time. Then again, I am partial to big, body-on-frame RWD V-8s that hearken back to the 50s and 60s... so maybe I am kind of a grandpa.

BLACKMARAUDER04
10-29-2014, 01:46 PM
The price is too high. That's why I purchased a 2011 $56,000 MKS w/ Ecoboost for $31,000. It's certified, had about 24000 miles on it
and still has factory warranty thru December.

chief455
10-29-2014, 03:06 PM
The price is too high. That's why I purchased a 2011 $56,000 MKS w/ Ecoboost for $31,000. It's certified, had about 24000 miles on it
and still has factory warranty thru December.
What is your fuel economy in real world driving with Ecoboost?

I'm running a 2014 V6 Honda Accord EX-L at 28.5mpg and it flies very comfortably. With as many creature and safety options man could need..
I'd prefer American luxury, but need to be cost effective.

Bluerauder
10-29-2014, 03:48 PM
What is your fuel economy in real world driving with Ecoboost?

Just steady cruising at 70-75 MPH with the SHO, the 3.5L Ecoboost gets 30 MPG. But I can drive that down to about 17-18 MPG around town by jumping light to light. :D

chief455
10-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Just steady cruising at 70-75 MPH with the SHO, the 3.5L Ecoboost gets 30 MPG. But I can drive that down to about 17-18 MPG around town by jumping light to light. :D
HMMM, I can justify those numbers to be in a big Ford at all times, thanks!

Bluerauder
10-29-2014, 05:11 PM
HMMM, I can justify those numbers to be in a big Ford at all times, thanks!

Just a caution ... it is very hard to keep your foot out of it. The twin small turbos are very responsive and the SHO likes "spirited" driving. Your right foot will dictate your MPGs.

chief455
10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Just a caution ... it is very hard to keep your foot out of it. The twin small turbos are very responsive and the SHO likes "spirited" driving. Your right foot will dictate your MPGs.
2014 new, loaded $41k at dealer near me. Have to go drive it.

Bluerauder
10-29-2014, 06:05 PM
2014 new, loaded $41k at dealer near me. Have to go drive it.
I test drove an SEL, a Limited, and a SHO in that order just for comparison. Came home with the SHO that same day.

MyBlackBeasts
10-29-2014, 07:56 PM

gpfarrell
10-30-2014, 05:06 PM
SHOs are nice, but it got my MKS with just 12k on it for $32k. LMS gave me an attitude adjustment and a set of springs dropped it an inch and tightened it up a lot. One cool night at the strip got me a 12.97 time slip. And it's got air conditioned seats. Still have my Marauder and won't keep the MKS forever, but it's a great ride!

71cyclone
10-31-2014, 03:19 AM
SHOs are nice, but it got my MKS with just 12k on it for $32k. LMS gave me an attitude adjustment and a set of springs dropped it an inch and tightened it up a lot. One cool night at the strip got me a 12.97 time slip. And it's got air conditioned seats. Still have my Marauder and won't keep the MKS forever, but it's a great ride! /Nice --:burnout:what part of Burg are you from , Monroeville ?

gpfarrell
11-03-2014, 10:23 AM
/Nice --:burnout:what part of Burg are you from , Monroeville ?

I'm just a smidge North of the city... Hampton Township.

71cyclone
11-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Cool / all in the Family [my cousin years ago used to do radio adds for Biondi Lincoln Merc.]