PDA

View Full Version : engine stalls in a Saleen Mustang. Any ideas?

guspech750
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has experienced this with one of their cars. My father inlaw has a 2001 Saleen Mustang with a procharger, built up internals, tuned and all that jazz. When he drives it with the airconditioning on and comes to a stop. The engine will raise the rpms to about 2000. Then the rpms settle down to about idle a few moments later it stops running. He is able to restart it no problem but will happen again if he comes to another stop. It wierd as this only happens with the a/c on and thats it.

Has any member here ever heard of this or experienced this sort of problem yourself? Thanks for any suggestions.

bob6364
09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Sounds to me like a computer hiccup....tell him to unplug the battery overnight and then drive the car around the next day it will idle rough and act weird for a day or 2 but should settle down.I swear some of these car just need to be rebooted like a windows computer every so often....
This is step 1 in a potentially multi step process of tracking this down,also scan the engine compartment for vac leaks like cracked hoses and hoses off.

Mach1Marauder
09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
SEVERAL things could cause what you describe.
From a sticky IAC to a dirty MAF to enabling learning too much.
Clean the IAC(temp fix at best) and the MAF and clear the KAM(Keep Alive Memory), but do them one at a time.

How is the MAF set up? Blow-thru or suck............most likely suck.

guspech750
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
SEVERAL things could cause what you describe.
From a sticky IAC to a dirty MAF to enabling learning too much.
Clean the IAC(temp fix at best) and the MAF and clear the KAM(Keep Alive Memory), but do them one at a time.

How is the MAF set up? Blow-thru or suck............most likely suck.

I will ask him how his MAF is set up. Thanks for the info fellas. Please. If anyone could chime in, then by all means do so.

SpartaPerformance
09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
All good places to start, is the CEL on? If so what codes?

magindat
09-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Its a vac leak. Probly near (system wise, maybe not physically) the IAC.