PDA

View Full Version : Hey Telecom'ers! Fluke DTX1800 HELP NEEDED

CRUZTAKER
09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I have a new Fluke DTX-1800 cable analyzer and am having a real pain in the arse testing the most simple cable arrangement known to man.

CAT5e ROLLOVER.

First off, this unit is amazing.
I was able to create custom test scenarios as required for cross-over cables, for straight cisco console cables, and 586b lan cables and the wire maps pass.

However, with this confounded Rollover cable, I created the test as explained on Fluke's website, loaded the test, set the output for Rollover, yet it continues to fail the wire map test.

I wouldn't be so concerned, but as part of this project the customer requires the full gamut of tests on each of the cables built, the most simple the wire mapping.

I built the cables according to Cisco's AM drawings which simply want a straight through blue-org-gn-brn in order no flips nor flops and on the far end the opposite. IE pin 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5

I even tried a 586b configuration on one end and flipped the connector on the other end.

No matter what, the Fluke fails the wire mapping every time.

Any ideas?

http://www.atecorp.com/Equipment/fluke/DTX1800.jpg

bob6364
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
i'm no expert but in a crossover cable isn't it BL-O-G-BR on one end and BL-G-O-BR on the other. Whenever I make cables around my house I have this website up http://www.lanshack.com ....I helps when you only make up cables once or twice a year like me :D

CRUZTAKER
09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
... but in a crossover cable isn't it BL-O-G-BR on one end and BL-G-O-BR on the other. :D

:D

That's straight lol. If you've got a sweet MX8850 in house and want to access the console port that works great!:P
If you do send me an IP addy...;)

I wouldn't suggest you wire your lan cables that way though.

Benwin
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Holy...

Mother of God...

CRUZTAKER is an IT guru, and owns a Marauder?!

Dude... Hook me up with a job! lol I HAVE REFERENCES AND STUFF!

gja
09-21-2009, 08:03 AM
1<>8
2<>7
3<>6
4<>5
5<>4
6<>3
7<>2
8<>1

magindat
09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
GW, G, OW, BL, BLW, O, BRW, BR = 568A
OW, O, GW, BL, BLW, G, BRW, BR = 568B
Looking at the RJ45 clip side down.
Or if using patch panels, punch one end 568A and other 568B per patch panel labeling.

568A one end and 568B on other = crossover cable.

I don't know if this differs from what you refer to as rollover cable.

Green and Orange pairs carry data over ethernet. Switching the positions of Green and Orange on either end sends near transmit to far receive and far transmit to near receive. If the purpose is ethernet, rollover cable as described above is not compliant and will fail. Above pinout maintains Cat5 compliance with NEXT and pair twists.

This could be completely useless to you if I've misinterpreted the application.

Good luck, bro!

magindat
09-21-2009, 08:24 AM
BTW, I have meter envy...

CRUZTAKER
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
BTW, I have meter envy...

No shat...over 8k retail. :eek:
Damn Trilogy is cheaper than that and brings more entertainment to the table!

I solved the problem today.

I can't believe I did not look closer at the factory built cables.
I just assumed they were correct.
Apparently a new employee misinterpreted the rollover and set the wires in the connectors straight color code.

The tester wants to see 586b on one side, and 586b flipped opposite on the other for proper results.

I rebuilt all 35 cables this morning and all of them passed.

Holy...

Mother of God...

CRUZTAKER is an IT guru, and owns a Marauder?!

Dude... Hook me up with a job! lol I HAVE REFERENCES AND STUFF!

Nope...not IT...I am a Central Office Installer, contracted by all of the major providers wireline and wireless.
This project just happened to involve the replacement of a hundred or so cat5e cables in various configurations in a lineup at the AT-T main in Cleveland.

magindat
09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
No shat...over 8k retail. :eek:
Damn Trilogy is cheaper than that and brings more entertainment to the table!

I solved the problem today.

I can't believe I did not look closer at the factory built cables.
I just assumed they were correct.
Apparently a new employee misinterpreted the rollover and set the wires in the connectors straight color code.

The tester wants to see 586b on one side, and 586b flipped opposite on the other for proper results.

I rebuilt all 35 cables this morning and all of them passed.

Sounds like they failed initially on Near End Cross Talk (NEXT)

Glad you're out of the woods!

CRUZTAKER
09-21-2009, 03:27 PM
That is my concern as well.

When I rebuilt the console cables...Cisco's drawing shows them straight through 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 6-6 7-7 8-8

I have a funny feeling I should have just built them 586b instead.
I mean...how much bandwidth does one need on a console cable?
Are those console cables subseptable to x-over noise?

Think I should change them?

ImpalaSlayer
09-21-2009, 03:34 PM
man, this thread may as well be in french to me. but 8k for a meter! thats crazy!

White Knuckles
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Called my Dad. He sold his company to Fluke and was a VP.
I asked the question and he laughed.........."S**T Son, I retired from there 23 years ago--that technology is so far removed , I wouldn't venture a guess."

He loved hearing the question though. Fluke was very good to him and our family.

bob6364
09-22-2009, 09:02 PM
:D

That's straight lol. If you've got a sweet MX8850 in house and want to access the console port that works great!:P
If you do send me an IP addy...;)

I wouldn't suggest you wire your lan cables that way though.

sure sure ...just as soon as they run that OC12 up my street i'll tap in and root you....

magindat
09-23-2009, 09:18 AM
That is my concern as well.

When I rebuilt the console cables...Cisco's drawing shows them straight through 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 5-5 6-6 7-7 8-8

I have a funny feeling I should have just built them 586b instead.
I mean...how much bandwidth does one need on a console cable?
Are those console cables subseptable to x-over noise?

Think I should change them?

Nah Cisco console cables are DB9 x RJ45 with flat cable. I've built em with silver satin and crimped 45's. Flat has no twist anyways. They're problably using DB9 x 45 adapters from a USB x serial adpater and hittin a straight thru 45x45 for AUI (console).

No matter. 568B x 568B still runs pin to pin.

SMOKE
09-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Not to hijack...but can anyone assess whether or not these cables are set up properly?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/63_Cable_Bra.jpg

Ahh, there...now the Fluke thread = sexy....

Carry on...lunch is over...:D

Best,
J

magindat
09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
No no no. Those service loops are entirely too tight. All that cable needs to be uninstalled immediately...