PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

CWright
09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I thought these were pretty hot in the 80's. This one though is immaculate. Very low miles to be 22 years old. Check out the engine. All original.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-GNX-ONLY-7-057-ORIGINAL-MILES_W0QQitemZ150373598001QQc mdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks ?hash=item2302f70331&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

a_d_a_m
09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Serious coin, but that is sharp.

ImpalaSlayer
09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
why did i think those were 6 cyl? :confused:

Motorhead350
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
They didn't sell for that much new... at least I don't think so.

Either way what a waste. That car was meant to be driven.

If I wanted one I would get the one that's $12,000 or less with a few chips on the paint. It's the same car! I don't care if it's 1 of 30 with two arrows on the drivers seat, it's still the same car to me. A GN is a GN.

The car is an 8 clyinder, the seller made an error because I'm sure he sells V8 cars all the time. There must be more to the story as to why it was nearly 50 grand or why it was in the newspaper when it was purchased. Like I said, I don't care if it's the last one they ever made or why else it could go for that much... waste... low miles = waste of a car in it's prime. Drive anywhere today, be ready for gaskets, hoses and rebuilds in an hour.

The pervious owner fails, he didn't drive it.

guspech750
09-22-2009, 08:28 PM

If I wanted one I would get the one that's $12,000 or less with a few chips on the paint. It's the same car! I don't care if it's 1 of 30 with two arrows on the drivers seat, it's still the same car to me. A GN is a GN.

The car is an 8 clyinder, the seller made an error because I'm sure he sells V8 cars all the time. There must be more to the story as to why it was nearly 50 grand or why it was in the newspaper when it was purchased. Like I said, I don't care if it's the last one they ever made or why else it could go for that much... waste... low miles = waste of a car in it's prime. Drive anywhere today, be ready for gaskets, hoses and rebuilds in an hour.

It not the normal Grand National. It is the GNX. The final salute, the final end all of end all Grand Nationals in 1987. The last year of the drive train/platform. It is 1 of 547 made. They were not the same as the GN. The GNX was faster, had bigger rims, a different rear axle, more bracing behind the rear seats so it would handle better and the list gos on.

MrBluGruv
09-22-2009, 08:46 PM
They are 6 cyls, 3.8l turbo 6s with GOBS of freakin' torque compared to their horsepower. GM brute-forced it with that car, I was told they used a truck radiator for it stock. And yeh, even compared to the Monte Carlo SS of the same generation they are pretty freakin' fast.

sd8683
09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Unbelievable car! I bet it goes over 100K!

justbob
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Weren't they only 205 hp? I would like to have one, but have to agree with Dom on this one, it's only a Buick and not worth that coin.

Vortex
09-23-2009, 05:58 AM
A GNX is a much more special car than the regular Grand National. If I remember right they were kinda handmade at McLaren?

CROWNMARAUDER
09-23-2009, 06:34 AM
The GNX when new sold somewhere around 30 to 35 thousand dollars. It is a higher horsepower limited edition version of the standard grand national. It has different tires, wheels, fender flares & a unique gauge cluster in the dash among other things. A standard 1987 grand national had somewhere around 245 horsepower & the GNX was near 300 if I remember correctly. When they were new they were selling for WAY over sticker price.

Joe Walsh
09-23-2009, 07:02 AM

He drove it over 7,000 miles...it is a very rare and collectible car.

Dom, read up on the Buick GNX

I'm glad that there are still some low mile cars out there...do you want every rare car to be beaten to death with 100,000+ miles?

BTW: Those GNXs are bad cars...and they pulled like a freight train with all that midrange torque!

Mote
09-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I recall that the 1987 GNX was the fastest American production car in 18 years. Including the Corvette - Granted the Vette had been smog-neutered for a long time.

mrjones
09-23-2009, 08:12 AM
There's one that's shown up on ebay several times in the last few years. Most recently it's been here in Houston. They were asking over $100K for it, and if I remember right, it had less than 10 miles on it.

CBT
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Nice post, that is one fine assed machine you don't see everyday. 49 grand new, damn. At least it's up to more than the original cost.

I thought these were pretty hot in the 80's. This one though is immaculate. Very low miles to be 22 years old. Check out the engine. All original.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-GNX-ONLY-7-057-ORIGINAL-MILES_W0QQitemZ150373598001QQc mdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks ?hash=item2302f70331&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Master
09-23-2009, 01:36 PM
The GNX WAS special and it had gobs of power for back then. The Monte SS wasn't anything special at all in the engine department. I remember driving a fairly new one and it wasn't any sort of rocket ship. However, like the Marauder, it could be upgraded till the cows came home and not mind one bit. Not so, the GNX. You could always add more boost, but I think you'd start pushing the limits of the engine and performance parts were hard to come by.
I really love these cars on the outside, but that friggin Chevy dash right out of 1970 just has to go. God they made the worst interiors!

sd8683
09-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Here's a pretty good vid about the GNX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6wtnmdZhE

Joe Walsh
09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
The GNX WAS special and it had gobs of power for back then. The Monte SS wasn't anything special at all in the engine department. I remember driving a fairly new one and it wasn't any sort of rocket ship. However, like the Marauder, it could be upgraded till the cows came home and not mind one bit. Not so, the GNX. You could always add more boost, but I think you'd start pushing the limits of the engine and performance parts were hard to come by.
I really love these cars on the outside, but that friggin Chevy dash right out of 1970 just has to go. God they made the worst interiors!

At least the GNX got real Stewart Warner gauges...my college roommate had an '86 GN and the electronic dash/gauges were a friggin' joke.
We would bust his chops about the 'Jiffy Lube' logo stitched into the headrests!
But....that GN would eat my '85 5.0 GT alive once it spooled up!

Vortex
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Here's a pretty good vid about the GNX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6wtnmdZhE

Thanks for the video, pretty informative (if you can ignore the butt-pirate host!)

LANDY
09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
thats the fastest american car in 1987.

LANDY
09-23-2009, 02:36 PM
they also had those cars in the mid elevens with cheap bolt ons. my dads friend had one. that car inspired me to get one.

LIGHTNIN1
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I had the Monte Carlo SS of that year,180 HP, but a nice looking and eye turning car.I drove a couple GN's and they would relly wind up. GNX is really special and people would buy them and warehouse them.Kirban Performance specializes in the GN and GNX.

mrjones
09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
The Regal was about an $18K car, but the GNX option was about $13K. You could just about buy an 5.0LX Mustang for what the GNX option was, but it wasn't as fast.

offroadkarter
09-23-2009, 03:26 PM
why did i think those were 6 cyl? :confused:

because they are?

ImpalaSlayer
09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
not according to that ad

Motorhead350
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
1 of whatever.

A car is a car. Cost is a huge driving factor in my purchases. Why would I wanna spend $50,000 on a 20 year old car when I can go just as fast, find cheaper parts and do it for less than 1/4th? Even with a 10 year old Camaro or Mustang?

Rare drives some people I guess and me too, but not 1 of 30 or whatever that makes it so high.

Not interested.

Cool car though.

guspech750
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
The Monte Carlo SS had the smoged up POS 305 ciand 350ci . They were turd motors. Just like the Grand Prix of the same vintage. Pontiac had a Grand Prix with a fast back window and short truck lid but it to had the same POS 305ci. It was silver only and was called Grand Prix 2+2. Look it up. It is sweet looking. Should have put the Grand National motor in those cars too.

The GNX listed for $25,000 but as we know dealers and their outrageous marks ups. People paid a lot more than that. And it was rated at 300 hp. Remember. The 1989 Turbo Trans Am (only in white) had the same motor except for a very few minor differences and I believe that was even faster than the GNX. But the sales brochure rated the Turbo TA less than the Corvette. I dont think that was the case with the GNX. It was listed as 300 hp. You can pick up a 1989 Turbo TA for $20,000 +/- depending on the miles. And have a better handling and faster ride. Not as sinister looking as the GNX but still way cool. I think there was less than 2000 Turbo TA's made. Oh God. I rambling.:D

1987 GNX and 1989 Turbo TA would be my top choices!

Check them out. You guys should check them out. Youll be very impressed.

Mr. Man
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I remember doing some stop lite dragging w/ a regular Grand National(turbo V-6 I believe) in the late 80's w/ my '88 Mustang. GN pulled me buy 1 1/2 car lengths in the first 300 feet and it took a long time and some stupid early 20's(age) speed to reel it in. The GN may have had a speed limiter because I know I was well north of 100mph before I passed it. I choose to believe the guy didn't soft pedal it. I think there was also an FBI model that didn't have all the constraints the regular GN had.

Mac-MerC
09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
them cars will always be nice.... period

sd8683
09-23-2009, 08:11 PM
them cars will always be nice.... Period

bingo!!!!!!