PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle question

Mike Poore
09-24-2009, 07:30 AM
We have an '08 Navigator without the heavy duty tow PKG. (req class III-IV hitch, trans cooler, heavy duty radiator, rear air shocks, brake controller + possible other stuff. The big problem, as I see it is installing the possibly required lower gear set 3.73 from 3.55 on both front and rear axles and changes to the computer etc. My dealer has reservations about the gear switch, and thinks I need to find a specialty shop.

The dry weight of the trailer is 6,4320; and loaded, is ~8,382 lbs; but the book says the Navigator is rated for 8,800 lbs which is very close to max. (the dealer didn't know if it's for the heavy duty rating, or what it has now)

Should I consider the changes, trade for a new Navigator (this one has just 9,000 miles), or buy a new F-150 with the heavy tow pkg designed for the job, and keep the Navigator the way it is? The trailer is a 2010 Flagstaff 831FKBSS.

Our dilemma isn't the cost, its just that we don't want to increase the size of the fleet with an un-needed vehicle for occasional towing duty.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.:)

Mr. Man
09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Could you rent a heavy duty truck when you need to tow things?

fastblackmerc
09-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Get a vehicle designed for the job.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
09-24-2009, 08:27 AM
3.55 vs 3.73 is almost zero difference. Just because a tow package came with one over the other doesn't mean you have to swap. The difference is gonna be like 100 rpms cruise.

Phrog_gunner
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
If it is only for occasional use, I would just add an aux trans cooler and change your oil, transmission fluid, and axle fluids according do the severe service schedule in the owner's manual.

Marauderjack
09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Two wheel drive has more towing capacity and less moving parts to break!!!:eek::beer:

Bluerauder
09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Should I consider the changes, trade for a new Navigator (this one has just 9,000 miles), or buy a new F-150 with the heavy tow pkg designed for the job, and keep the Navigator the way it is? The trailer is a 2010 Flagstaff 831FKBSS.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.:)

Here's the trailer, plan and specs >>>>>> Forest River Flagstaff 831FKBSS (http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertt&model=831FKBSS&choice=flag&nav=rec&name=142&series=8WideTT)

Very nice trailer, Mike. Towing a 31' travel trailer on a hitch is gonna be a biatch behind the Navigator. My nephew pulls his 30 footer with an F-250 diesel. Pulling it ain't the problem. Stopping it is. Not sure your Navigator is up to the task. Especially if you are gonna do hill climbing and descending. Tongue weight is 852# dry .... probably closer to 1,000# loaded.

Get an F-250 with the load distribution hitch and upgraded brakes. If you haven't closed on the trailer yet, I'd seriously consider one of the 5th wheel models.

Hope you ain't planning to back it into the garage. ;)

JMHO.

Mike Poore
09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
The trailer's bought and will be moved onto our permanent spot at the shooting grounds at Elysburg. I have no plans to take it anywhere before the Ohio State championships at the Cardinal center, Maringo, OH in mid-June. Just West on I-80 and back for the PA state shoot. No rush and lots of time to do it right. Perhaps it would be smart to trade the Pimpmobile on a V-10 F-250. Anyone know anything about the V-10's?

Got_1
09-24-2009, 05:19 PM
i know of two poeple with V10 pickups. they swear by them. the simplicity of a gas engine with the torque of a diesel

Bluerauder
09-24-2009, 05:19 PM
The trailer's bought and will be moved onto our permanent spot at the shooting grounds at Elysburg. I have no plans to take it anywhere before the Ohio State championships at the Cardinal center, Maringo, OH in mid-June. Just West on I-80 and back for the PA state shoot. No rush and lots of time to do it right. Perhaps it would be smart to trade the Pimpmobile on a V-10 F-250. Anyone know anything about the V-10's?
Another thought .... I recall that Barry/CRUZTAKER used his Navigator to pull a car trailer loaded with his MM about 300 miles. Think that was about 6,000 pounds total. You may want to touch base with him to see what he thinks of towing near the max 8,800 pounds for the Navigator. Handling, stopping, etc.

guspech750
09-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Here's the trailer, plan and specs >>>>>> Forest River Flagstaff 831FKBSS (http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorviewertt&model=831FKBSS&choice=flag&nav=rec&name=142&series=8WideTT)

Very nice trailer, Mike. Towing a 31' travel trailer on a hitch is gonna be a biatch behind the Navigator. My nephew pulls his 30 footer with an F-250 diesel. Pulling it ain't the problem. Stopping it is. Not sure your Navigator is up to the task. Especially if you are gonna do hill climbing and descending. Tongue weight is 852# dry .... probably closer to 1,000# loaded.

Get an F-250 with the load distribution hitch and upgraded brakes. If you haven't closed on the trailer yet, I'd seriously consider one of the 5th wheel models.

Hope you ain't planning to back it into the garage. ;)

JMHO.
Stopping should not be a problem if the trailer is equiped with electric brakes and in the cab of the vehicle there is a brake modual to control the amount of braking force on the trailer. But if cost is not an object I would ditch the Nav and pick up a F-250. Then there will be no doubts.

Mr. Man
09-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Forget the V-10 its a wheezer go for the Diesel

Motorhead350
09-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I towed 6,000+ pounds with a 2007 and it wasn't a problem. I have towed 7,000 with my K5 and it was rated at 5,000... for the stock engine, transmission and gearing... I have changed it all.

Just drive carefully and you'll be fine. I have never broken any parts relating to a tow in either truck.

O's Fan Rich
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Stopping should not be a problem if the trailer is equiped with electric brakes and in the cab of the vehicle there is a brake modual to control the amount of braking force on the trailer. But if cost is not an object I would ditch the Nav and pick up a F-250. Then there will be no doubts.

I agree...
electric brake control set up proper and a good weight distribution hitch....

Oh, Mike.... Trilogy has a Supercharger kit that may work on your Navigator......:banana:

If you decide to go the Trilogy route, I'd be happy to help with the install.... btw!

LANDY
09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
well, im an RV technician i have installed hitches like reese, easy-lift, on Naviator, Armadas, tahoes hokeed to a 30' or 32' trailer no problem up to 8k pounds on those vehicles no problem with the right hitch equipment.
no need to change gears.
it will pull it and stop it.
i would recomend reese head and bars plus dual sway cam.
the head and bars will transfer the weight to the front of vehicle(level trailer and truck)
the dual sway cam is a big help when cruising on the highway.
then offcourse get a good break controller.

my biggest challenge so far when setting it up has been a: Armada pulling a 33' Jayco eagle. i installed the hitch above and voyager brake controller. at the end the trailer was 1/4" lower in front, test drove it at 75mph no problem.

DIESEL
big improvement on gas mileage power to tow is the best over all when pulling.

please dont get a V10 you will get less than 8mpg.

i have a friend with a duramax that gets 18mpg towing a INFERNO from K-Z @ 70mph no problem.

Breadfan
09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
My folks have a V10 F250, as a weekend work truck. Not towed with it yet. It's a basic truck otherwise, but gets 10-12mpg in normal driving. It's a 2001 model.

Also they had issues with the manifold bolts. Don't know when (or if) Ford fixed this, but they are non stainless steel and rust easily. Their's developed a manifold leak when several of the studs rusted and broke off. I didn't fix it b/c I dind't want to extract the broken studs, so we had a shop take on that task, $600 for one side to extract 4 studs, remove the rest, plane the mainofld, and replace gasket and studs with stainless ones.

So beware on those...dealer wanted $2000 for the job (lol).

Blown3.8
09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah don't get the v10 very bad gas mileage. The Navi should be fine, just get the extra coolers and rad if possible to go up and down the mountains. It will prolly struggle getting up the mountains, so if you wanna keep the speed up definatly get the bigger rad and coolers and the gears would help too, but thats more doe, but still less than a new truck.

Mike Poore
09-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks, everone. It looks as if our Navigator, with a class III/IV hitch upgrade, and 7pin connector, along with trans cooler & bigger radiator. The rear ratio is evidently OK, but the addition of a larger oil and transmission pans, along with a stud and girdle kit + increased volume rear cover, should do the trick. A properly designed load leveling hitch is a no brainer and with the other stuff, we should be just fine. Of course, it might make sense to swap the '08 in for a 2010 model with that stuff already added, although, finding one of 'em might be a real trick, considering how much trouble it was to find this one.
Thanks again, your input has been very helpful.

LOWBUCKMM
10-02-2009, 05:33 PM
i had a 04 ranger with the tow package and i hauled a car trailer with a 79 malibu. the only thing i did was buy a break controller had no problem towing it. so im sure your nav should not have any problem at all.

ImpalaSlayer
10-02-2009, 07:09 PM
i had a 04 ranger with the tow package and i hauled a car trailer with a 79 malibu. the only thing i did was buy a break controller had no problem towing it. so im sure your nav should not have any problem at all.

you towed a car with a ranger????????? :eek: you sir, have balls

LOWBUCKMM
10-05-2009, 04:54 PM
you towed a car with a ranger????????? :eek: you sir, have balls

man that ranger did great. put air bags on the rear and filled them up to level the load. would do it all over again.

ImpalaSlayer
10-05-2009, 06:42 PM
man that ranger did great. put air bags on the rear and filled them up to level the load. would do it all over again.

no thanks. seems way too unsafe for me to even think about doing.

Mike Poore
10-24-2009, 07:54 AM
After reviewing the many options and very helpful advice from everyone, ie: "get a vehicle designed to do the job" and "2WD is a better tow vehicle" etc. We had reservations about "butchering" the Navigator, and decided on a 2010 F-150 Platinum edition 4dr Crew Cab, 2WD, 5.4L with the Max tow pkg (11,200lbs) 6sp trans/tow/haul, trailer brake controller, telescoping trailer mirrors and Traction lock/2.73 rear, plus a ton of other cool stuff to make our travels safe and comfortable.

We pushed every option box except the sun roof, which was actually free with one of the packages with a rebate. Barb likes the deployable running boards, which I have to admit are far nicer than those damnedable things that hit the back of your leg, when you get out. I liked the King Ranch version, but for the running boards plus the tan vs black interior on the Platinum. It's Ingot Silver/Black, and should be here in about 5 weeks.

Once again, Barb and I thank everyone for their thoughtful help and input. :)

Marauderjack
10-24-2009, 08:03 AM
That's great Mike......you will be much happier with that truck and it's capabilities!!:beer::beer:

Vortex
10-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Funny this came up now as Im loaning my brother-in-law my hemi Dodge Quadcab to tow his flatbed trailered Cale Yarlborough Mercury Cyclone from Dallas to Talladega this coming weekend for the Winged Warrior meet. Im sure my truck will be fine but have to admit I am a bit paranoid. Had a class III/IV hitch installed a couple of years ago and the truck is rated at 9500lbs so it should be ok. Ill be glad when its back in my garage though.

Bluerauder
10-25-2009, 05:58 AM
..... decided on a 2010 F-150 Platinum edition 4dr Crew Cab, 2WD, 5.4L with the Max tow pkg (11,200lbs) 6sp trans/tow/haul, trailer brake controller, telescoping trailer mirrors and Traction lock/2.73 rear, plus a ton of other cool stuff to make our travels safe and comfortable.

I liked the King Ranch version .....

Congrats on your new toy, Mike. Could be that "Sunshine" gets trailered to car shows in the future too. ;)

You've been thinking about that King Ranch truck since the Washington Auto Show in January 2007. Remember ??

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/King_Ranch.jpg

GordonB
10-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Mike,
Pls edit you post if this is INcorrect: 2.73 Rear.
GordonB
----------------------------
Originally Posted by Mike Poore
..... decided on a 2010 F-150 Platinum edition 4dr Crew Cab, 2WD, 5.4L with the Max tow pkg (11,200lbs) 6sp trans/tow/haul, trailer brake controller, telescoping trailer mirrors and Traction lock/2.73 rear, plus a ton of other cool stuff to make our travels safe and comfortable.
--------------------------------------

Mr. Man
10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Congrads on the new truck Mike. Sounds like a real cruiser. Are you still thinking about a Marauder? I know Ms. D and I planted a seed at Indy.

Mike Poore
10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow! What a mistake. Yes Gordon, it's a 3.73 rear. With a 2.73 the poor thing wouldn't have the oomph to get out of it's own way, let alone pull a 34ft travel trailer.

And, Eric, for now, we won't be thinking about a Marauder, and in fact, I'm gonna sell the Pimpmobile, and get the fleet down to a more manageable size. I mean 5 vehicles for two people is a bit much. :D

Mr. Man
10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
He who dies with the most toys Wins!!

GordonB
10-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Mike,
Can't believe that you are going to get rid of of that beautiful Pimpmobile. It is a very nice car for those who have NOT seen it. You should post it here for all to see; maybe list it for sale here.
GordonB

Haggis
10-30-2009, 04:16 AM
....I mean 5 vehicles for two people is a bit much. :D

No, its not!!!

SC Cheesehead
10-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Mike,
Can't believe that you are going to get rid of of that beautiful Pimpmobile. It is a very nice car for those who have NOT seen it. You should post it here for all to see; maybe list it for sale here.
GordonB

+1

I had the pleasure of riding in it two years ago at the KY meet. VERY nice car.

Mike Poore
10-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Mike,
GordonB

Gordon, I listed it on our "For Sale Forum", this morning. It's a done deal, in a way, because the dealer has a buyer for it, but I told him I'd let some of my friends have a crack at it, and it's not his until the truck is delivered. I figure 4 maybe 5 weeks at the most. :)