PDA

View Full Version : Best drag method

BigMerc
10-22-2003, 04:43 PM
OK I need the following, of those that have raced the Supercharged versions, what is the best method for quick ET's.
Load up to 2000 rpm? idle start, give me the goods.
Mongoose marty needs to interject also

merc406
10-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Got Slicks?

SergntMac
10-22-2003, 05:36 PM
What I do, and it's probably not the best solution, but it works for me.

Warm up the tires by brake torquing in 1st gear, bring it to 3-4K for 7-8 seconds of wheel spin, and drive out of it. Dry, no waterbox. But, sometimes you can't avoud the water box, so, back up and warm them up again.

After staging, brake torque to 1K and on the green, launch with a 1-2-3 count to the floor. Use drive, OD off, manual shifting can be tricky on this car and cause a missed shift.

Don't use bias ply slicks. The car will break loose at the 1-2 shift and again at the 2-3, and you won't get her back in control. It will be 4200 pounds on jello at 90+ mph. I've tried all sorts of combinations with slicks, and never broke out of the low 13s. Slicks gave me really weird numbers, 2.2 60 foots, 111MPH trap speeds, and an ET of 14 sumptinstupid. Slicks won't work on this car.

I've had nothing but traction problems lately, and the best I've seen all summer long has been 12.8, 108 MPH, with a 60 ft. time of 1.89. This was accomplished on my Pirelli P-Zero street tires, with 4/32 tread depth at 25 PSI.

This season is about closed around here, so, next year, I'll be sporting a set of Nitto drag radials in 305/45/18 and I expect better times. Another KB owner who does not post here, took a local track championship in the 12.7 brackets on the BFG drag radial, and Zack has run 12.6 with his Vortec powered MM, but exactly how he launches, I don't know, let him explain if he chooses. Happy motoring!

BigMerc
10-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks Sarge, good detailed information, I'll go with that first and see. I want to see if the car will do 12.2's It should just got to get the "system" down. Thanks again

Wags
10-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Sarge,

How much air were you running in the slicks? What brand were they? Before you had the car, Bill called me, because he was having trouble hooking up with his MT slicks. I thought that he was running to low of air in them (I think that he was at 12 to 15 lbs). I told him that's what I run in my Chevelles (12lbs.), but he would have to go higher because of the weight of the car. I suggested to him to run 18 to 20. He talked to MT, and they suggested the same. He said that it hooked pretty well. You have to heat them up really good though, get 'em wet, and spin 'em up, (with slicks, NOT regular tires).I run Hooser's on my cars, and have always had good luck with them. By the way, I have your original tires from your car. I hoping that they will make mine go faster.:)

Wags

SergntMac
10-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Pete, nice to hear from you again.

You bring up good points, and we tried them all. I didn't go at this alone, but with friends who have been drag racing for years, and we tried a number of local tracks as well. The slicks I used are Bill's MT-ET Streets in 28X11.50X17. Started out at 20 PSI and worked down to 14. As the 60 ft. times improved, the loss of control at the 2-3 shift grew worse. Once a 4200 lb sled starts swaying left to right, control is an illusion. Even track officials grew concerned, so, my advice (until we figure this out) to other MM owners, is to not try slicks unless you really do know what you're doing. Getting sideways at 90 MPH is not my idea of fun.

I think we coverd the bases on combinations, to the point where none of us wanted to drive on them anymore. However, your opinion is important to me too, Pete. If there is any more track time available in the area, and you're going to be there, give me a shout and I'll meet you there with the slicks. I think it's reasonable to expect more than 12.81 from in this car, and the only problem I'm having now, is traction.

merc406
10-24-2003, 09:43 AM
I've never run M/T's before, but the Goodyears and M&H racemasters ran best at 17lbs. Also we changed the frt wheels and tires from the radials to bias ply tires.