PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?!?!?

offroadking208
09-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Ok. so i had this horrible bounce to the rear wheel. the drivers side rear. like it was out of balance, so i took it to my car guy when i did my U/D pulleys and Jmod and had him drive it to see what he thought. we took it out and he said it wasnt a balance issue, or u-joint, that it must be a slipped belt in the tire. So we did the Jmod and U/D Pulleys and i went on my merry way.

Today i went around all day today looking for a take off 225/60 R16 for a replacement because the other 3 tires are decent, and the spare was an RS-A Plus instead of a regular RS-A (not much difference besides the Plus wearing faster) and when i took the wheel cover off, two things fell out.

it was 2 lug nuts with the wheel studs still attached :eek: so im curious if anyone else has ever sheered off wheel studs and if i should be expecting to replace more things like this? anybody else heard of something like this happening?

ntd
09-26-2009, 02:09 PM
It's possible that the lug nut's were overtightened last time

Phrog_gunner
09-26-2009, 02:42 PM
A lot stranger things have happened, but I would change all of the studs for that wheel and loosen and properly retighten the lugs on the other 3 wheels.

I would personally be more worried how a "mechanic" KNOWS it's not a wheel balance issue without taking the wheel off and putting it on a balancer, or at least looking on the inside of the rim to see if any balance weights had fallen off. Even bothering to take the wheel off and see if anything fishy is going on would have been enough to discover this problem....

LIGHTNIN1
09-26-2009, 03:17 PM
A lot of those guys with impact wrenches get pretty loose with them. Its like they are getting a rush from it. I tell them to not tighten them where I can't get them off on the side of the road. The guy should have taken the wheels off and checked.

justbob
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
+1 If any of my customers (did I say customers? I meant friends!) mention a tire or brake issue, the tires come off immediately and inspection begins.

blackhueys
09-26-2009, 04:09 PM
when I worked in a tire shop my boss would always get mad at me! Why because I wouldn't use an air gun to tighten lugnuts always looked up the specs and used a tourqe wrench. He said that it was a waste of time to do that. funny thing is that I never had a bit of problems with my jobs but other mechanics did eventually. It seems to be harder and harder to find a good compentent shop and mechanics now days thats why I do what ever work I can my self.

SpartaPerformance
09-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I would agree that the lugs were tightened too much. My guys use torque sticks on the ends of their impact guns.

Blackened300a
09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I would agree that the lugs were tightened too much. My guys use torque sticks on the ends of their impact guns.

Like I always say.... when the air gun stops, the lugs are torqued lol

SpartaPerformance
09-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Like I always say.... when the air gun stops, the lugs are torqued lol

Uugh. I'll remember that next time your car comes in. :tongue: