PDA

View Full Version : OUCH the BLUE SCREEN of DEATH!

jabird56
09-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Well my desktop tower has taken a hit, got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH here this morning.

Got a message that there was an unknown USB item, then the tower made a chirping sound twice then the screen went dark, then got the blue screen.

Did a hard reboot 3 times and still got the same affect within 15 minutes. Windows and antivirus updates are current.

Is there any software out there that can do diagnostics on this beast, to narrow the problem down? I have done dxdiag and everything comes back ok

Oh well, guess I'll be taking it into the a computer doctor somewhere....

Currently, I'm on the wife's laptop.

P.S. Looky there, I just got my 3rd flag up in the thread corner...

Mr. Man
09-27-2009, 08:27 PM
To bad these computer genius' don't have anything better to do than ruin other peoples stuff. Hope your computer is back on line soon.

SpartaPerformance
09-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Blue screen of death is exactly why I switched to Mac's back in 2000 and haven't looked back ever since. I was tired of getting it from behind by Microsoft, wouldn't you know I gave them another chance 1 1/2 years ago when I purchased an XBox 360 and last month I got the red ring of death!!! I'm seriously even thinking of leaving SYNC out of my next Ford purchase......with my luck it will crash the throttle by wire and I'll hit a tree. LOL

jabird56
09-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Blue screen of death is exactly why I switched to Mac's back in 2000 and haven't looked back ever since.

Well I've been running on this GATEWAY tower since JAN 2004 without any problems til now. I'm guessing a hardware fault somewhere, just from 5 1/2 years of use.

dohc324ci
09-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Did you install any hardware or software recently? Try restoring from a previous state....good luck.

Vista:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html

Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

jabird56
09-28-2009, 03:13 AM
Did you install any hardware or software recently? Try restoring from a previous state....good luck.

Nope, nothing recent

jdando
09-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Pull out the new/offending USB device. Reboot and see what happens. I had a similar thing happen last week, no problems since.

Just a glitch in the matrix.

ckadiddle
09-28-2009, 06:03 AM
First step is unplug all your peripherals, then attach them one at a time intil you discover which device cause you to blue screen. Then bash the offending gizmo to death with a claw hammer. :-)

dakslim
09-28-2009, 06:10 AM
My grandson plugged in his MP3 player and it crashed my computer so had to a full system restore. It puts the cp back to factory condition and you will lose everything that was added but at least it will work.

1sexyleo
09-28-2009, 06:58 AM
I work on computers. I notice you live in Waldorf. Well, I live in Landover and work in LaPlata so I ride past Waldorf every morning and evening.

What was the exact error message that you got?

MM2004
09-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Well my desktop tower has taken a hit, got the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH here this morning.

Got a message that there was an unknown USB item, then the tower made a chirping sound twice then the screen went dark, then got the blue screen.

Did a hard reboot 3 times and still got the same affect within 15 minutes. Windows and antivirus updates are current.

Is there any software out there that can do diagnostics on this beast, to narrow the problem down? I have done dxdiag and everything comes back ok

Oh well, guess I'll be taking it into the a computer doctor somewhere....

Currently, I'm on the wife's laptop.

P.S. Looky there, I just got my 3rd flag up in the thread corner...

Boot it back up and write down the error and stop address as you see it and post it up here.

You have gotten good advice below -> Unplug peripherals then boot it up and see what happens.

If the BSOD persists, you can choose F8 and try "Last Known Good Configuration" to see if the machine will boot.

If successful, check the log files in event viewer (eventvwr) from the Run command and see if you can find the error according to timestamps in System Logs on when it BSOD'd. Also look in Application Logs as well.

Mike.

Marauderjack
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I would encourage everyone to buy Acronis True Image!!!:beer::bows:

Go to www.acronis.com and NEVER do a destructive restore again!!:shake:

I back up my entire "C Drive" to an outboard drive every Sunday.....you can do it every day if you wish!!:D

If you ever have "Blue Screen" problems like this just access Acronis at boot up and wipe the "C Drive" clean.....reinstall one of your backups and you will be back in operation in 20 minutes......WITHOUT any lost data and you won't have to spend weeks reinstalling programs!!:bows:

My $.02 FWIW??:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout:

boatmangc
09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Macs rule!
IMHO of course...

RacerX
09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Hirens Boot CD, Ultimate Boot CD, PC-Check. I fix Macs and work with them too you Mac lovers! They're ALL made with Chinese parts now! :beer: MAC/PC... To me it's Ford/Chevy. I know how to use and fix them both...