PDA

View Full Version : How do I kill this car?

Motorhead350
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Here is the problem. My dad has a 2007 BMW 7 Series and it's less than 1,000 miles of being outta warranty. The car has issues running and shifting. It shakes a lot. He took it to the dealer and they said the car was recalled for stuff like this, but they weren't sure if his was one of them. Anyway they sent him on his way with no repairs.

He has bought BMWs over and over and the last two needed transmissions including one car that needed 2 in 3,000 miles. He drives like an old lady, I guess he just likes luxury over quality. I told him that I could call up Zack or someone and we could probably find a way to blow up the engine or transmission and get it in the shop. I don't want my dad to have a bill for $12,000 500 miles after the car goes outta warranty. He said no he doesn't want it messed it... like that.

Here is my question. I want to disable the car somehow to get it into the shop. The easiest way I can think of is to kill the battery, but you can't kill it. If you leave the headlights on (switch too) they will turn off. The only way I can think of the battery is to take it off, put it on one of my cars and drain it with my headlights, put it back on the car and call roadside assistance. I don't know if the BMW will detect how long the battery was disconnected for or something... this is tricky.

Can anyone think of a way to disable this car to get it in the dealer and have someone work on it for it's real problem? Anyway possible... I don't care. Probably a way without damaging it would be best.

justbob
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Your heading for dissaster if your looking for a way to sabotage the car. Anyways they know very well what has and has not been done. It's called a VIN number.

Blackened300a
10-05-2009, 11:01 AM
They can hook up to the computer and it will tell you everything. My uncle just picked up a 09 5 series and it don't even have a dipstick to check the oil. Everything is computer monitored.

Motorhead350
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Ya Paul I know that one. It's very stupid to me, especially years down the line.

Can we think of any way to disable this thing at all??? :confused:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
If you have to ask.......

LOL I have neutral dropped cars with intermittent trans issues to get them replaced before after the dealer kept sending me back home. And it worked.

Motorhead350
10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
If you have to ask.......

LOL I have neutral dropped cars with intermittent trans issues to get them replaced before after the dealer kept sending me back home. And it worked.

The car will not allow that. The rpm must fully drop down to idle before it shifts unless it's accelerating.

Believe me I know. :(

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I also did full power reverse to forward burnouts, will it let you do that?

Breadfan
10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
If he won't take it in for repair after being warned then nothing else you can do, some people learn the hard way. Trying to damage the car will not help the situation. If you want to help call BMW can discuss the issue with a service rep and help setup an appointment. If he won't go, then it's no longer your issue. Logic and reason surpass destruction on this one.

RacerX
10-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Take the positive and negative battery cables off. Take a heavy duty extension cord (unplugged!) and cut the female end off. Take a lot of the sheathing off, wrap the copper around the battery cables. Wear some thick gloves and some eyeglasses and plug it into the wall outlet for two secs.

Disclaimer: This is a joke! Do NOT try this!!!! :D

LordVader
10-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Just turn on the overhead light inside the car and lock her up. Come back in 24 hours...the battery should be dead.

Breadfan
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Probably will auto turn off, alot of cars have anti-dead battery circuitry. I think even our Marauders turn off interior lights after 10min or so.

Blackened300a
10-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Probably will auto turn off, alot of cars have anti-dead battery circuitry. I think even our Marauders turn off interior lights after 10min or so.

20 minutes for the Marauder. I learned this by having the hood open at car shows and thought my hood light bulb burned out.

Rocknthehawk
10-05-2009, 02:05 PM
the computer should know if the battery has been disconnected.

anyways....this isn't the brightest idea you've had Dom.

offroadkarter
10-05-2009, 02:18 PM
hold the gas pedal down for an hour with the motor running

RacerX
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
hold the gas pedal down for an hour with the motor running

Drain oil first... then put the oil back in when you're done... ;)

LIGHTNIN1
10-05-2009, 02:44 PM
You live in Chicago. It couldn't be that hard to find an out of work car thief.

Rocknthehawk
10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I remember a similar thread on a WRX forum once....eventually someone from the dealership that was supposed to perform the repairs found it, and the **** hit the fan for the car owner.

MERCMAN
10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
one word,,,,,,

kerosene

:rofl:

Donny Carlson
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sure NOBODY from BMW ever looks on the internets, or uses Google or any of those other nasty search thingys.

Your original post does not make sense to me. You say your father took his 07 BMW in for shifting issues and shaking, and "they" (which I assume was a service writer) said that his model and year has recalls for these issues, but they didn't know if his car was one of them. Well, did they write the VIN number on the service ticket? Did anyone enter the VIN into their service system? It would show instantly whether the car had a recall or not. Did a tech look at the car? Did your dad take the service writer or the service manager out for a test drive to show the shifting issue or the shaking? Was ANYTHING recorded in the service record of the car regarding these customer concerns? If a complaint such as this is documented -- even if the ticket says "no problem found" then if there are similar service issues out of warranty, it should still be covered.

Doesn't BMW cover all regular maintenance for free on their cars? What is the power train warranty, how long is it? Seems like nonesense that they would ignore what sounds to be a wonky transmission.

frdwrnch
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
So it seems this car is so overengineered it will run like s*** forever?

Donny Carlson
10-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Here is the problem. My dad has a 2007 BMW 7 Series and it's less than 1,000 miles of being outta warranty. The car has issues running and shifting. It shakes a lot. He took it to the dealer and they said the car was recalled for stuff like this, but they weren't sure if his was one of them. Anyway they sent him on his way with no repairs.

A brief Google search has yielded that the 2007 BMW 7 Series Sedan had a msrp of $115,000, invoice was $105,800. So, we're talking a $100K car any way you slice it. Vehicle warranty on the 2007 7 Series was 4 years/50,000 miles. Even if your dad bought it in 2006, it would still be under the 4 years, however it's possible he has driven it 49,000 miles in 3 years.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2007/bmw/7-series/4232-046-front-angle-260.jpg (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwork s.com/2007-bmw-7-series-4dr-sdn-alpina-b7-photos.htm?photo=984452&perspective=exterior#toptab)

There is no reason why a $100,000 car should be shaking and having drivability problems while still under warranty. If the dealer won't address it, he should find another dealer, and before it reaches 50,000 miles.

BTW, a 750i Sedan with 49,000 miles in good condition, Chicago zip code, is worth $33-35,000 trade in value. He could almost buy a 2010 Taurus SHO with just the trade value.

-Matt-
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
He could almost buy a 2010 Taurus SHO with just the trade value.

And they are NICE!! I looked at one today at the local dealer while the marauder was getting its oil changed. What a car! I was told ups to 40k though. :(

ginson3
10-05-2009, 07:26 PM
pose the ? to a sixteen year old and toss him the keys. problem solved

Black_Noise
10-05-2009, 07:36 PM
go back to dealer, and start a big scene in front of as many people as posible... preferable in front of customers in the sales department.

TAKEDOWN
10-05-2009, 08:04 PM
You live in Chicago. It couldn't be that hard to find an out of work car thief.

LOL!!! Hey, that's NOT funny. Scary... But very true!

Motorhead350
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
The car is a lease and it's at 48,xxx miles right now.

I wasn't with him for when he took the car in, but I agree Donny. The dealer would know in an instant if the car was recalled by simply running the vin. I should take it in for him or something because he isn't the type of guy to argue with people when it comes to car like me.

I think the best advice is to take it to another dealer. Also something should be printed out saying no problem found, but mention what the problem was so to say.

Vortex
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I recommend you start the car inside the garage with the garage door closed. Now this is important, you need to stay inside the car while the engine slowly stops running, it will take a while, maybe 30 minutes. Listen to some of that music you are always recommending. After 30 minutes or so, well, that should do the trick, let us know later how it turned out.

RacerX
10-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I recommend you start the car inside the garage with the garage door closed. Now this is important, you need to stay inside the car while the engine slowly stops running, it will take a while, maybe 30 minutes. Listen to some of that music you are always recommending. After 30 minutes or so, well, that should do the trick, let us know later how it turned out.

LMFAO! :D Glad I wasn't drinking my coffee!!!

It's a lease!!! F'N return it and get something else!!!! Let someone else deal with the prob. It's your dad's anyway, leave it be, you're not paying for it.

justbob
10-06-2009, 07:25 AM
For anyone that doesn't know Jack (Dom's pop) he is a great guy. I will never forget when he handed the M5 keys to Dom at US41 and simply said have fun!

Motorhead350
10-06-2009, 01:42 PM

That's no way to go out. If anything I would pull the car out at an intersection and make sure a semi hits my drivers door while it's doing 60mph. I would have on the song Teenage Rock n' Roll Suicide by The Speedkings. The radio probably wouldn't work though after the impact. I'd rather be completely dead, than have someone save me from fumes and be brain damaged.

offroadkarter
10-06-2009, 03:59 PM
The car is a lease and it's at 48,xxx miles right now.

Its a lease! Who gives a ****! I know someone with a "leased" mustang that toasted his trans after 9k miles...

leased cars are like rental cars you get to keep longer :D

Motorhead350
10-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Its a lease! Who gives a ****! I know someone with a "leased" mustang that toasted his trans after 9k miles...

leased cars are like rental cars you get to keep longer :D

I know you would think who cares, but this car still has another year in it (the lease) and 1,000 miles left. If that car blows up at 52,000 miles guess who has to pay for it? My daddy does. If the car would be gone tomorrow I would agree with you, but this can become a serious problem that's going to fall into our lap. I just want it fixed before it get's to being a five figure bill to us.