PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug torque specs?

sd8683
10-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes I used the search function, 3 pages as a matter of fact, well anyway, I plan on tuning up the beast in the morning, so if anyone knows the torque specs for the spark plugs it would be greatly appreciated if you filled me in, thanks!

Mike
10-16-2009, 11:37 PM
I looked in the BRB on page 303-07B-1 and it shows spark plug gap to be 11 lb-ft. Hope this helps :D

bob6364
10-17-2009, 04:38 AM
I looked in the BRB on page 303-07B-1 and it shows spark plug gap to be 11 lb-ft. Hope this helps :D

I guess at 2:37 am spark plug gap is measured in lb-ft not thousands....you guys need to goto bed earlier...:D

FordNut
10-17-2009, 06:20 AM
I always use 10 ft-lb

RF Overlord
10-17-2009, 06:31 AM
I gap mine to 132 in-lbs.

Mike
10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
I guess at 2:37 am spark plug gap is measured in lb-ft not thousands....you guys need to goto bed earlier...:D

I just typed it as it's written the the BRB :D And you're right, 2:37 am is way too late :beer:

SILVERSURFER03
10-17-2009, 07:07 AM
WOW i don't know this one DAMN

ImpalaSlayer
10-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Wow. Sean is gona work on his own car?

Mr. Man
10-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I usually seat them (finger tite) and then give them a little snug to crush the washers a bit.

RR|Suki
10-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I usually seat them (finger tite) and then give them a little snug to crush the washers a bit.

... what washer are you crushing?:confused:

Mr. Man
10-17-2009, 10:19 AM
To be honest I haven't done the MM yet but on all the other cars I've owned there is a crush washer at the top of the threaded part of the plug that seals the plug to the plug hole in the block. Perhaps the MM plugs do not have a washer. I will find out soon enough as ours needs its 100k tune up this winter. If I confused anyone I apologise.:)

Seneca
10-17-2009, 10:25 AM
To be honest I haven't done the MM yet but on all the other cars I've owned there is a crush washer at the top of the threaded part of the plug that seals the plug to the plug hole in the block. Perhaps the MM plugs do not have a washer. I will find out soon enough as ours needs its 100k tune up this winter. If I confused anyone I apologise.:) I'm pretty sure there's a crush washer on them.

FordNut
10-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a crush washer on them.

Nope, they're tapered.

RF Overlord
10-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a crush washer on them.Then you've never done them before.

Mr. Man, do yourself a favour and buy a decent torque wrench before attempting to do the plugs on the MM. Aluminium heads are very easy to damage by over-tightening the spark plugs. What worked on your father's Oldsmo-pile doesn't apply anymore.

Mr. Man
10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Guess technogeek has passed me by. Took me a while to even figure out where the plugs were.

Blackened300a
10-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Exactly how long are your fingers? :lol:

You wouldn't be able to reach them with your fingers and you'll want a spark plug socket with the rubber insert to remove them or one of those grabber tools. I just got done doing my plugs 5 minutes before typing this. I had one autolite plug and 7 densos since my mishap on the way to Indy, now they are all complete.
Make sure you use anti-seize on the threads of the plug and di-electric grease on the contacts.

burt ragio
10-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Wow. Sean is gona work on his own car?
I was thinking the same thing. By the way Sean don't forget the anti seiz lube on the threads. This will prevent to opposite metals from seizing due to corrision. When you use the anti seiz on threads use a lower tq setting.

sd8683
10-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Well I finished up a little while ago, I did use anti-seize on the threads, well when I put it all back together, I start the car and I get a CEL, I take the coil covers off make sure all the cops are nice and snug, they are, start again still have the CEL. So I call my buddy Dave and he tells me to check for codes with my excal. I get 1 code P1235, I forgot to mention I also upgraded the fuel filter with the FG800A filter (the culprit) I ended up putting the new filter in backwards! And people wonder why I don't work on my own car! :D
Well now you know!
Anyway all is good now.

Blackened300a
10-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I ended up putting the new filter in backwards! And people wonder why I don't work on my own car! :D
Well now you know!

You put it in backwards??? ,everyone know's the arrow has to point towards the tank cause that's where the gas is! :rolleyes:

ImpalaSlayer
10-17-2009, 04:26 PM
when you install your headers make your you put the left side on the left and right on the right. :rofl:

your welcome man, anytime! :beer:

sd8683
10-17-2009, 04:32 PM
You put it in backwards??? ,everyone know's the arrow has to point towards the tank cause that's where the gas is! :rolleyes:

Wait a minute, I thought the arrow goes towards the injectors, I didn't notice the arrow at first :embarrased:

burt ragio
10-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Reading glasses can sometimes be a real help!

Rocknthehawk
10-17-2009, 04:54 PM
when you install your headers make your you put the left side on the left and right on the right. :rofl:

your welcome man, anytime! :beer:

haha, i don't know what the joke is, sean installing the headers, or the possibility of putting them on backwards?

:lol:

ImpalaSlayer
10-17-2009, 05:04 PM
haha, i don't know what the joke is, sean installing the headers, or the possibility of putting them on backwards?

:lol:

take it as you want!

babbage
10-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Exactly how long are your fingers? :lol:

You wouldn't be able to reach them with your fingers and you'll want a spark plug socket with the rubber insert to remove them or one of those grabber tools. I just got done doing my plugs 5 minutes before typing this. I had one autolite plug and 7 densos since my mishap on the way to Indy, now they are all complete.
Make sure you use anti-seize on the threads of the plug and di-electric grease on the contacts.

Ugg, Blackend! Dude he is saying he threads them in by hand -- yes with the plug socket on the plug and an extension connected to the plug socket. I do mine this way too. Why? so you don't cross thread them -- fairly easy to do on a 4.6 especially on a 2V that only has a "half" set of threads. Geeze. :flamer:

I don't torque my plugs to spec. I get them tight - but not too tight. Magic touch I guess. ;)

Blackened300a
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't torque my plugs to spec. I get them tight - but not too tight. Magic touch I guess. ;)

Same here. I get them snug and then a slight turn more. Besides only one plug, mine were still in there nice and snug.

Blackened300a
10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Wait a minute, I thought the arrow goes towards the injectors, I didn't notice the arrow at first :embarrased:

That was a joke. The arrow always points forward for flow.

Seneca
10-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Then you've never done them before.

Mr. Man, do yourself a favour and buy a decent torque wrench before attempting to do the plugs on the MM. Aluminium heads are very easy to damage by over-tightening the spark plugs. What worked on your father's Oldsmo-pile doesn't apply anymore.
easy on the caffine

RF Overlord
10-18-2009, 08:10 AM
easy on the caffineFor advising Mr. Man to use a torque wrench??

Mr. Man
10-18-2009, 09:01 AM

I've been told the arrow goes towards the rear if you drive around in reverse a lot. He may also get his gas from one of those foreign owned gas suppliers that use metric gas.:rolleyes:

Mr. Man
10-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Ugg, Blackend! Dude he is saying he threads them in by hand -- yes with the plug socket on the plug and an extension connected to the plug socket. I do mine this way too. Why? so you don't cross thread them -- fairly easy to do on a 4.6 especially on a 2V that only has a "half" set of threads. Geeze. :flamer:

Yes!! The magic touch I forgot to mention that, thank you:beer: