PDA

View Full Version : Car Show essentials?

Marauder_Santa
10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello,

I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. What handful of items would you recommend bringing to each and every car show to help clean up, touch up, and make your car sparkle?

Thanks.

a_d_a_m
10-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Spray detailer, wax, TOWELS (the more the merrier), Armor-All or similar product, tire shine.

And while they don't make the car look any better: lawn chair, cooler full of beverages/ice, snacks.

CBT
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I've only entered mine in 2 shows. The first time I cleaned it up all super duper nice. Won runner up. The next time (a year later), I ran it thru a car wash and air dried it on the highway on the way to the show. I won first in class in the 1990-Present Ford catagory. That was about 2 years ago. There were some niiiiiiice cars, even a brand new GT 500 Mustang. So I would recommend what I took to both shows, a pack of Marlboro reds and a 20 ounce coffee from 7-11. Good luck!

Ms. Denmark
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
We take First Inspection detailing spray, Tire Shine, micro-fiber cloths and a micro-fiber duster. Also chairs, Marauder caps, cooler and sometimes our dog Buddy. We haven't won squat. But we have a great time!! LOL

dakslim
10-19-2009, 06:24 PM
We take First Inspection detailing spray, Tire Shine, micro-fiber cloths and a micro-fiber duster. Also chairs, Marauder caps, cooler and sometimes our dog Buddy. We haven't won squat. But we have a great time!! LOL

My first time out was this past weekend, I didn't win squat either...I feel your pain.:bigcry:

Spectragod
10-19-2009, 06:35 PM

I don't usually enter in the judging, being as how there isn't any competition. :flamer:It just wouldn't be fair to the rest of the cars..:D

J/K, I don't enter in judging because I am there to have fun, trophies sit around and collect dust, memories last a lifetime.:beer:

Black_Noise
10-19-2009, 06:53 PM
well 1st off, you should clean it before hand, but once you get there and you wana do a little touch up, I would just take the black bottle of meguier's quick detailer or underhood wipedown, and the maroon bottle would be for the outside of the car.

and I also apply the tire shine at the show (I prefer the spray on, and then go over it with a spong to spead it all even) that way it doesnt fling it all over when driving to the show.

Also take a few micro-fiber towel to do the wipedowns with.

after that, enjoy in a chair with a cooler.... also important things to take with.

Enjoy.

gdmjoe
10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
scotch tape. *So you can stick the entry-information form on the inside of the windshield.
Sharpie and a pen.
quick detail spray. *Griot's Speed Shine.
micro-fiber towels.
California duster.
glass cleaner and roll of paper towels. *Stoner Invisible Glass.
tire-shine. *Turtlewax F21 Tire Foam
rags. *For above tire-shine and engine bay spritzing.
pre-moistened chamois in a plastic bag. *In case of rain.
folding chair.
cooler with drinks and food.
umbrella. *Made a holder that attaches to the folding chair.
camera with extra batteries.
hat.
sunscreen. *Seasonal.

DOOM
10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
ICE quick detailer
California duster
Micro fiber towles
Glass cleaner (invisible glass)
Leather wipes
Q-tips
Aliminum polish :coolman:
Portable vacuum
Armor all (extreme shine) :D
Bug & tar remover
Applicator pads
Tire shine (your choice)

Motorhead350
10-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Coin car wash followed by hotel towels.

DOOM
10-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Coin car wash followed by hotel towels.

FAIL!!! :lol:

Embassy
10-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Dom, I bet your serious aren't you?

Hello,

I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. What handful of items would you recommend bringing to each and every car show to help clean up, touch up, and make your car sparkle?

Thanks.

Good tips and lists of items to bring so far in this thread.

I'll just add that prio prep makes a car show much easier. Spend an evening several days before getting your Marauder cleaned and detailed. Then your set-up time and on-site detailing will be much easier.

If you start participating in shows on a semi-regular basis, I'd invest in some sort of display sign.

Marauder_Santa
10-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the great tips. I have a mish mash of cleaning supplies, but never anything worth talking about. I would always see a handful of guys around me with all types of fancy goop and wanted to get some for myself.

I usually take the car the day of or the day before the car show through a great carwash in Marietta Ga and a few times a year take it to the detail guy at Team Ford in Marietta to have the guy clean the engine bay.

I do have the comphy chairs, cooler and umbrella, but wanted to build a small tool box of touch up stuff for the show.

Thanks and I hope to see you soon on the road.

Bluerauder
10-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll just add that prior prep makes a car show much easier. Spend an evening several days before getting your Marauder cleaned and detailed. Then your set-up time and on-site detailing will be much easier.
I agree with Embassy that prior preparation is a key element. I try to do a full detail job in the week before a big show to minimize the on-site prep.

Before Carlisle and Maraudervilles, I will do a hand wash, followed by a complete Mother's or Meguiar's clay bar application and then a complete Meguiar's NXT TechWax. I do a once over with Turtle Wax ICE detailer over the wax job. Keep the car nice all year long really shortens up your prep cycle.

If your show is on the road away from home, I recommend carrying a small bucket, 50' of hose, nozzle, car wash, and one of those universal faucet keys (about $1.50 a Lowe's or Home Depot) to turn on the water at the hotel in case they have removed the faucet handles (most do). This has come in pretty handy on occasions where you encounter rain and road grime enroute to the show.

In the bucket, I will bring along Turtle Wax ICE detailer spray, ICE polish & applicator, Windex & paper towels, many assorted microfiber towels (some for the car, some for the wheels, some for the engine bay), tire shine and applicator, spray bottle of water (bird crap remover), 1" and 2" paint brush (to reach difficult areas under the hood). I also carry a chamois/absorber to dry the car and a rain blade (but don't use it too much)

I am sure that I have other stuff; but that is all I can think of right now. Oh yes, plus the display stuff ...... Here's my "home-made" showboard. Seems to work reasonably well. ;)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/BluerauderDisplayBoard2May08.j pg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13912)

Pat
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Embassy mentioned a "display board", AKA story board. That would be a nice touch since most other entrants have them. Put it on an easle and make it large print so people can read it withoug squinting. Use of color and pictures are good. Stay away from scroll type fonts as they are hard to read. Just tell about the car, modifications and performance, show time slips if applicable.

Good luck.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/21/silverback2.jpg

guspech750
10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Wash and dry your car really good then give it the clay bar treatment. It will look like you waxed it when your done but your paint will be cleaner and smoother. After the clay bar then wax it. The car will really look awesome. Ive done it to my Marauder and my Camaro SS I used to have. Just use the clay bar once or twice a year to really clean the paint.