PDA

View Full Version : One of my hobbies

CBT
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Yesterday I went bottle digging with a friend, here is some of the stuff I kept. They have been rinsed but not washed out completely yet.

Left to right
Hunyadi Janos "Bitterquelle"
Chelf's "Celery-Caffein Compound"
Dr. J. Hostetter's "Stomach Bitters"
Royal Fruit jar (there is one half this size on e-bay going for over 70 bucks)
Don't know but it looks cool as ****.

Left to right
Straight sided Pepsi, cha-ching!
Fellows "Syrup of Hypophosphites" (sounds greeeeeaaaat)
Glovers "Imperial Mange Remedy"
Hicks Capudine "For All Headaches, Colds, Gripp, Etc." (Gripp? wtf is that?)

I found a few old PBR's, a few old Schlitz, and more medicines, but I havn't cleaned them yet. Digging is one helllllll of a work out, I was sore all day today, still am. But, it's fun and we sell what we don't want so it's all good. Sometimes, reeeaaaal good.
Just thought I'd post something different.

ImpalaSlayer
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
youd have a field day back in my woods. theres all kinds of old bottles back there. i used to go back and throw em against trees when i was younger lol

CBT
10-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Say WH:eek:T?!

youd have a field day back in my woods. theres all kinds of old bottles back there. i used to go back and throw em against trees when i was younger lol

LANDY
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM
my dad is really into that stuff, he has an old bottle of thisinsect repellent that has never been opened.. names "shoo fly" ??? where r u guys digging these up at? seems like it would be a cool thing to do with him. oh and this is landys girlfriend, imma hackerrrrr

lizz

ImpalaSlayer
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
my dad is really into that stuff, he has an old bottle of thisinsect repellent that has never been opened.. names "shoo fly" ??? where r u guys digging these up at? seems like it would be a cool thing to do with him. oh and this is landys girlfriend, imma hackerrrrr

lizz

lol make your own SN blackbeauty3!

LANDY
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
lol make your own SN blackbeauty3!

haha landy just told me to do that (since i use his car more than he does lol)!!!

CBT
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM

lizz

Haxors!!! lol, i'm in Hampton VA, yous come on up and I'll send ya home with bags of bottles.

-Matt-
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
oh and this is landys girlfriend, imma hackerrrrr

lizz

..... and all this time i just thought he was into dudes :confused::confused::confused: :confused:

LANDY
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
:flamer:ew

..... and all this time i just thought he was into dudes :confused::confused::confused: :confused:

CRUZTAKER
10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Jessy and I used to dig in 100 degree heat for 8-10 hours at a time elaborately sifting for sharks teeth and other fossils back in the day.

Over a weekend we could dig a hole five round and nine deep, sifting hundreds of pounds of sand.

We have quite a collection of Carcharodon megalodon teeth.

The area has long since been banned from digging.
The city of Venice claimed it was due to ancient indian burial grounds....which we never found over 25 years of digging this site.

The real reason was that the gays that frequented the area after dark were falling in the holes lol.

The site is now a parking lot.

Figures.:stupid:

Phrog_gunner
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM

He's in the AF too??

LANDY
10-19-2009, 07:56 PM
:lol::stupid::flamer::D:cool:: )u guys are timmies!!!!!:P;):coolman::band it::beatnik::cool4:

CBT
10-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Dayum! Yeah around here everything is "historical" and protected as soon as you find something and other people hear about it. Freakin fake assed archeologist who close off a site, pick it clean, and claim it's all going to a museum, yeah right. **** 'em. I don't dig graves, but I've been pretty damn close to 'em, lol.

Jessy and I used to dig in 100 degree heat for 8-10 hours at a time elaborately sifting for sharks teeth and other fossils back in the day.

Over a weekend we could dig a hole five round and nine deep, sifting hundreds of pounds of sand.

The city of Venice claimed it was due to ancient indian burial grounds....which we never found over 25 years of digging this site.

The real reason was that the gays that frequented the area after dark were falling in the holes lol.

-Matt-
10-19-2009, 08:01 PM
He's in the AF too??

Marines last time i checked :D

CBT
10-19-2009, 08:05 PM

How did you check? Get some oorah on yer booya?

-Matt-
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
How did you check? Get some oorah on yer booya?

Yeah i needed a quicky :cool4:

CBT
10-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah i needed a quicky :cool4:
Maybe I'll dig up a Dr. CBT's Stanky on my Hangdown Cure All next time I go, I'll let you use it, lol.

Phrog_gunner
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM

So then why is it that the AF/Army are the only ones that have the rainbow ribbon?

CBT
10-19-2009, 08:15 PM
So then why is it that the AF/Army are the only ones that have the rainbow ribbon?

Is that the one for marching? In certain parades?

Phrog_gunner
10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Is that the one for marching? In certain parades?

I think its officially the San Francisco Service Medal. And from what I hear, MM-MM-att can give some great service.

Mr. Man
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
This thread got me thinking I was thirsty so I went to the fridge and dug me out a bottle of beer. Thanks for the inspiration:beer:

-Matt-
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM

We dont have it bub, only the Army

http://www.marksmedals.com/us_medals_files/ribbons/army_service_ribbon.JPG

CBT
10-20-2009, 03:34 AM
This thread got me thinking I was thirsty so I went to the fridge and dug me out a bottle of beer. Thanks for the inspiration:beer:
Lol, glad I could help. I'll try and take a pic of some of my beer bottle collection.

Vortex
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I was on my two weeks back when I was in the reserves at Concord, California in 1984 and one day we took a small boat out into the backwaters and all that place that is reeds and stuff now was landfill from the San Francisco earthquake of 190 whenever. Anyway, there is a layer of broken pottery and bottles and stuff you wouldnt believe. Its all on base though so no picking them up.

Black Dynamite
10-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Dayum! Yeah around here everything is "historical" and protected as soon as you find something and other people hear about it. Freakin fake assed archeologist who close off a site, pick it clean, and claim it's all going to a museum, yeah right. **** 'em. I don't dig graves, but I've been pretty damn close to 'em, lol.

Actually, we "pick it clean" in order to get the context of the material around it. I.E. soil samples and content of that soil, depth of the artifact, it's location within the site and it's GPS coordinates if it's something major, etc. We also "pick it clean" to keep looters from selling potentially important finds on the black market. Once an artifact has been removed improperly we are less able to learn more about it. All artifacts are examined and catalogued. Those of historical importance are researched further, usually at a university by a grad student. The rest are placed in a federal repository or given back to the landowner upon their request.

Any further slights against my profession?

That said. Cool bottles!

SILVERSURFER03
10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
we dont have it bub, only the army

http://www.marksmedals.com/us_medals_files/ribbons/army_service_ribbon.jpg

thats an army service ribbon my dad had one of them....... AND TWO OF THESE RIBBONS

CBT
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Actually, we "pick it clean" in order to get the context of the material around it. I.E. soil samples and content of that soil, depth of the artifact, it's location within the site and it's GPS coordinates if it's something major, etc. We also "pick it clean" to keep looters from selling potentially important finds on the black market. Once an artifact has been removed improperly we are less able to learn more about it. All artifacts are examined and catalogued. Those of historical importance are researched further, usually at a university by a grad student. The rest are placed in a federal repository or given back to the landowner upon their request.

Any further slights against my profession?
That said. Cool bottles!

I said "freakin fake assed archeologist", hopefully that is not your profession. We have fake ones around here who try and scare you off so they can dig your spots. When you tell them get screwed, and 5 minutes after they leave the police show up and realize you aren't doing anything illegal, yeah, fake assed. They want to scare me off and take my 100 year old PBR bottle :cool4:

n00bkiller944
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Thats awesome!!! Can you post up some more pictures??? What part of Hampton are you in, I just moved to Newport News...

Mr. Man
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Getting the urge to dig around in the fridge for another beer:)

Marauderjack
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Hey Barry.....

What size were the Megalodon teeth you found??:confused:

We have guys diving the Morgan River for them down here that measure 5"-7" point to corner with gum intact!! I have one that is almost 6"!!

Pretty cool stuff when you consider how old and how big these suckers were!!:eek:

Black Dynamite
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I said "freakin fake assed archeologist", hopefully that is not your profession. We have fake ones around here who try and scare you off so they can dig your spots. When you tell them get screwed, and 5 minutes after they leave the police show up and realize you aren't doing anything illegal, yeah, fake assed. They want to scare me off and take my 100 year old PBR bottle :cool4:

Ah ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I believe that they would be the looters I mentioned. I'm surprised you have those there. Looting is not generally a problem here in the states. It's a huge problem in Europe and Africa, but here locals and LEO's and the archaeological commmunity in general tend to do a pretty good job of keeping an eye out for that. Not to mention that when items go up for sale that do not have the appropriate provenance they tend to be reported and dealt with pretty quickly. There is also the problem of what grey areas there are between 'amateur archaeology' and plain old looting. But alas that is a discussion for a different place. :)

I am curious though, is a straight sided pepsi bottle worth more?

I remember a few years ago when I was doing an archaeological survey for the DOT I uncovered a large beer bottle from the 1850's. It was about 2 meters down. It looked to me like it would have held about a half gallon. I wish I could remember the brand on it. It went to a federal repository and will likely never see the light of day again. Kinda sad really...

CRUZTAKER
10-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey Barry.....

What size were the Megalodon teeth you found??:confused:

We have guys diving the Morgan River for them down here that measure 5"-7" point to corner with gum intact!! I have one that is almost 6"!!

Pretty cool stuff when you consider how old and how big these suckers were!!:eek:

Since this thread fluxes between topic and nonsense...I'll feel free to hijack and sidetrack as well...:P

We have a 4" full intact and a 7" with a missing right gum line. We looked for the missing piece for days with no luck.

Most of our mint pieces are 3-4".
Lots of Maco, Duskies, Bulls, and Snaggletooth.
I have jars sorted by size and species.

We used to sell them by the pound to local tourist shops.

A good day between the two of us would average 7-10 pounds.

UncleLar
10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Now he shoots 'em though,lol. :uzi:

CBT
10-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Thats awesome!!! Can you post up some more pictures??? What part of Hampton are you in, I just moved to Newport News...

No kidding? You got a shovel? :beer:

CBT
10-21-2009, 06:42 AM
I am curious though, is a straight sided pepsi bottle worth more? Oh yeah. Pepsi used to spell Pepsi Cola in cursive script exactly like Coke still does. Coke put the smack down on that. As for being worth more, if the town name on the bottle is from a small town, or one that doesn't exists anymore, it will be worth more. I also have a couple straight sided Cokes.

I remember a few years ago when I was doing an archaeological survey for the DOT I uncovered a large beer bottle from the 1850's. It was about 2 meters down. It looked to me like it would have held about a half gallon. I wish I could remember the brand on it. It went to a federal repository and will likely never see the light of day again. Kinda sad really...

That's a bummer, everywhere we dig it's legal. Keep what you find. One spot we dig, the police show up EVERY single time, but it happened so often they would just walk over and ask if we found anything cool. It's in a shady section of town. One time I stepped out of the tree line and was going to get the Gatorades out of the trunk of the car and scared the crap out of a "new" officer that showed up. He reached for his pistol and about crapped when he saw he wasn't the only one armed. He was ordering me to put my weapon on the trunk of the car and yelling for I.D. at the same time so I just kept my hands up and said "well which one is it, hands up, show I.D., or put weapon on trunk?, thankfully another cruiser pulled up with officers we saw all the time. They jumped out and were like "It's cool, we know this guy!" That's probably the craziest digging moment. No, I take that back, me and Jon were called a threat to national security by the police once at Fort Monroe. Turns out we weren't, and we got to keep what we found.

CBT
10-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Since this thread fluxes between topic and nonsense...I'll feel free to hijack and sidetrack as well...:P

Lol, trust me it takes a lot more than highjacking a thread to irk me, I actually think your digging is cool, too. post some pics for us!

n00bkiller944
10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
No kidding? You got a shovel? :beer:

Haha, I sure do! But not to completely side track your topic, but you have to keep me updated on car shows and such here. I haven't been able to find much that doesn't have 28 inch rims on it... :flamer:

CBT
10-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Haha, I sure do! But not to completely side track your topic, but you have to keep me updated on car shows and such here. I haven't been able to find much that doesn't have 28 inch rims on it... :flamer:
There are gatherings, no so much car shows.

Mr. Man
10-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I had to dig much deeper today in the fridge for a beer. Found some mysterious things way back there too.:beer:

Phrog_gunner
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I had to dig much deeper today in the fridge for a beer. Found some mysterious things way back there too.:beer:

See...you can thank your osteoporosis for being able to reach way back in there......:P

n00bkiller944
10-21-2009, 10:20 PM
There are gatherings, no so much car shows.

Well shoot me a PM if you have anything I could come to. I would probably come with my friend and his '98 Cobra.

Black Dynamite
10-22-2009, 09:56 AM
That's a bummer, everywhere we dig it's legal. Keep what you find. One spot we dig, the police show up EVERY single time, but it happened so often they would just walk over and ask if we found anything cool. It's in a shady section of town. One time I stepped out of the tree line and was going to get the Gatorades out of the trunk of the car and scared the crap out of a "new" officer that showed up. He reached for his pistol and about crapped when he saw he wasn't the only one armed. He was ordering me to put my weapon on the trunk of the car and yelling for I.D. at the same time so I just kept my hands up and said "well which one is it, hands up, show I.D., or put weapon on trunk?, thankfully another cruiser pulled up with officers we saw all the time. They jumped out and were like "It's cool, we know this guy!" That's probably the craziest digging moment. No, I take that back, me and Jon were called a threat to national security by the police once at Fort Monroe. Turns out we weren't, and we got to keep what we found.

Same thing happens to us. Not so much in the summer when we have a full crew, but in the spring and fall when all the students are in class there's usually only a couple people on any one site and the sherriff gets called pretty regularly.

Had a hunter shoot at me one time. Thankfully he wasn't a very good shot. I wore orange after that.

Another time when I went to the landowners house to gain permission to do my survey work he pulled a shotgun on me. I called the sherriff that time.

All in a days work I guess.

I really miss that job....:(

Joe Walsh
10-22-2009, 10:34 AM

We have a 4" full intact and a 7" with a missing right gum line. We looked for the missing piece for days with no luck.

Most of our mint pieces are 3-4".
Lots of Maco, Duskies, Bulls, and Snaggletooth.
I have jars sorted by size and species.

We used to sell them by the pound to local tourist shops.

A good day between the two of us would average 7-10 pounds.

We used to go to Calvert Cliffs, along the Chesapeake Bay, to search for shark's teeth.
Lots of them laying on the beach and just into the water.
We took homemade 'viewboxes' to look in the shallow water...especially after a good storm that further eroded the cliffs.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/calvertcliffs.html

RacerX
10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
There's an old salesman where I work that collects dust...

Phrog_gunner
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
"Little CBT" collects dust too.....

Joe Walsh
10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
"Little CBT" collects dust too.....

Maybe he needs somebody to 'blow the dust off'.....:P