PDA

View Full Version : More opinions welcome

Donny Carlson
10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
During this winter I want to do some work to my Challenger with an eye on shows for next year. I'm giving serious consideration to side exit exhaust like the classic Challenger T/A. Cervinis makes a side skirt kit with side exit exhaust that I'm liking more and more. Being as this site offers me honest opinions, please, pipe in what you think. First, DO NOT get side tracked by the ricer-ish wing. That's another part Cervinis offers that I am not interested in. The side skirt kit includes the rockers, rear valance (which covers up the oem exhaust cutouts) and the extension for the front spoiler.

Here's a 2/3 side-rear view. The kit includes mandril bent exhaust pipes to route the exhaust to the side, and polished tips.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o308/DonnyCarlson/Challenger_5.jpg

And here is a front view showing how the front spoiler is extended by the kit. This shot also shows their cowl induction hood, which I like but probably won't buy. Keep in mind, my kit would be painted black to match my car, so there won't be as dramatic a color difference with the front spoiler.
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/ElmoMac3000/1472_1_middle.png

-Matt-
10-21-2009, 08:11 PM
I actually like that kit alot, and im not normally a fan of body kits

Glenn
10-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Very Nice Donnie - I even like the wing. But, I thought you were going for the power side first or are you doing both?

When is the last year for the Challenger? My son Chris is sold on buying one since you turned him to the dark side after riding in your car. But, he will not be able to buy one until he finishes OCS in June. Will Dodge make them for a few more years?

Glenn :burnout:

Donny Carlson
10-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Very Nice Donnie - I even like the wing. But, I thought you were going for the power side first or are you doing both?

When is the last year for the Challenger? My son Chris is sold on buying one since you turned him to the dark side after riding in your car. But, he will not be able to buy one until he finishes OCS in June. Will Dodge make them for a few more years?

Glenn :burnout:

Power side is still in progress :) You will get your re-match, my friend;)

At least two more model years. 2011 gets some interesting changes, SRT's will have a 6.4L Hemi rated 495 to the crank (possible it will be 500 hp to compete with the Z28 and uprated Mustang GT engines), Passive keyless entry will be added (doors unlock with a touch of your finger with the keyfob in your pocket), steering wheel will be redesigned to allow for improvements to the Mygig system (the entertainment and navigation system). If the model contiues, and it probably will since it's a popular model and makes money for Dodge, it will get a design refresh in 2012. So, definite 2011 models, we'll see for 2012.

By the time your son is ready, he should be able to select from a nice supply of 2010's.

Motorhead350
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
The only think I am fond of is the black decals. I do not like the side exhaust.

MrBluGruv
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I like the look of the side exhaust, but maybe not quite in that implementation. I really don't think that's a good look for the rear spoiler wing, it looks too much like a Lancer Evolution 5 or 6's spoiler. If it lost the center post and maybe didn't connect on the left and right edges to the trunk lid it may be a little more fitting. Overall, IMO clean looking kit but a little too bulky for my taste.

Marauderjack
10-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Side exhaust looks nice Donny...how's it sound though??:confused:

Not a fan of the front and back ground effects!!:shake:

Joe Walsh
10-22-2009, 04:29 AM
I like the look of the side exhaust, but maybe not quite in that implementation. I really don't think that's a good look for the rear spoiler wing, it looks too much like a Lancer Evolution 5 or 6's spoiler. If it lost the center post and maybe didn't connect on the left and right edges to the trunk lid it may be a little more fitting. Overall, IMO clean looking kit but a little too bulky for my taste.

+1

I like it...but it does make the car look a bit portly.

LIGHTNIN1
10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I like the side exhaust. I hate the wing kit.It maybe belongs on a Mitsubishi or old cheap Honda.

Donny Carlson
10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I had no intention of putting on the wing. It's available as a separate part, but it has too much of a ricer vibe. I like the side skirts with side exhaust outlets for a couple of reasons. First, someone who shall remain nameless jacked up the left side of my car without looking carefully and damaged the rocker trim panel next to the lift point. Not a biggie, and the replacement panel is less than $150, but it got me thinking about replacing the rocker panels. There's an old school "fish scale" 'Cuda style rocker on the market, but I haven't warmed up to it. I like the side exit exaust a la the classic Challenger T/A, but there isn't a really nice side exhaust kit out there, except for this one which has the panels to cover the rear cutouts. I'm not all that keen about the chin spoiler panel which looks to be something to catch on driveways and parking blocks.

There's no question the exhaust will be much louder. Routing the tips to the sides you have to eliminate the factory resonators and one set of mufflers (Challengers have two sets). I expect it will be pretty awesome, and you'll definitely hear it in the cabin. I'm waiting to hear from Cervinis on some questions, one of which is cabin noise from the tips. Be nice to hear a recording before I jump off the bridge.

I appreciate the comments, especially since here it's stripped of the fawning you get on a Challenger forum, where you could wrap a turd in a Mopar logo and somebody would think it's fantastic.

ImpalaSlayer
10-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Sry don't like it. I think the chalenger looks pretty good from the factory

LOWBUCKMM
10-22-2009, 07:44 PM
looks like a good kit. im not to much for body kits but some do look good. kinda like this one.

Motorhead350
10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I appreciate the comments, especially since here it's stripped of the fawning you get on a Challenger forum, where you could wrap a turd in a Mopar logo and somebody would think it's fantastic.

Now you know why I post about my K5 once a month or so.

Mr. Man
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM
I like the idea of side exhausts but the skirt thingy is to pretty for me. I'd just dump out at a 45* angle in front of the rear tires. I saw a Shaker hood on a Magnum once that looked cool, wonder if it would work on a Challenger? . Keep us posted w/ pics as you improve.

Donny Carlson
10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I like the idea of side exhausts but the skirt thingy is to pretty for me. I'd just dump out at a 45* angle in front of the rear tires. I saw a Shaker hood on a Magnum once that looked cool, wonder if it would work on a Challenger? . Keep us posted w/ pics as you improve.

There are Shaker hoods available for the Challenger, Cervini makes a functional shaker. They also have a kit that makes the oem intakes a fully functional ram air hood. (they are functional now, but just dump the air on top of the engine. The kit ducts them to an airbox.)

There's something to think about when going for the classic T/A look. Mopar has a T/A hood soon to be available, and with true side exit pipes, it would look more old school.

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/images/stories/easygallery/resized/147/1237584835_1970_Dodge_Challeng er_TA_340.jpg

The Mopar T/A hood -

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/mopar-challenger.jpg

Mr. Man
10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
The two pics you posted look like cars that are ready to go. The Cervini stuff looks cutesy. What I mean is the Cervini stuff looks like you put to much makeup on a girl that really doesn't need much.

TAKEDOWN
10-22-2009, 10:04 PM
A duck tail spoiler might be cool. I like the kit, but unsure about the side exhaust.

Vortex
10-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Honestly I think all that addon stuff looks like crapola. The car looks better like it came out of the factory.

LordVader
10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Like the side exhausts, not so fond of the front ground effects and it doesn't look like you have too much visibility out the back window to start with, so you won't miss the wing. If there were some type of spoiler that was a little less boy racer it might work.

Glenn
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Donnie:

Since you described the exhaust mods in detail. I would be concerned about the degree of drone you will get with the setup. I realy would not invest in side exhaust until you can drive one. The drone could well be very loud.

Glenn

ImpalaSlayer
10-23-2009, 01:23 PM
that green one FTW!

Donny Carlson
10-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Donnie:

Since you described the exhaust mods in detail. I would be concerned about the degree of drone you will get with the setup. I realy would not invest in side exhaust until you can drive one. The drone could well be very loud.

Glenn

Yeah, I thought about that. Maybe I just need too devote my funds and energy to that 440 ci stroker, hmm?

ImpalaSlayer
10-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. Maybe I just need too devote my funds and energy to that 440 ci stroker, hmm?

yes, yes you do :cool: