PDA

View Full Version : TV is haunted

1stMerc
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Came home from work today. Walked in the door and the tv was on and surfing channels all by itself. (checked to make sure noone had broken in) Didn't respond to the remote. Unplugged it for a few seconds and it came back up to the setup screen. Cleared that a it worked for a few seconds then started surfing again. Turned it off with the set button. Left it off. Half hour passes and while i'm listening to the radio and surfing the net it just turns on and starts changing channels by itself. Already changed batteries in remote.
RCA 56" rear projection about 6 yrs old.
Got an old Magnovox 25" about 19 yrs narry a problem cept tuner noise, plays great.

Anyone ever have this happen?

Radio in car won't get any FM stations, tv wants to run through all channels by itself.

What's next?

Black_Noise
10-23-2009, 07:13 PM
bet the neighbor has new tv that runs on same kind of remote.

Factory MM radio craps out that way, FM goes, then it doesnt like to play CDs anymore.... time to upgrade.

Blk Mamba
10-23-2009, 07:34 PM
what was that movie called, Maximum Overdrive?

Motorhead350
10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Kill Your Television

1stMerc
10-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Only if the Exorcist can't take care of it.

breeze
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
The Ring.lol

SideshowBob
10-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Try unplugging it for 10 minutes or so. Turning it off at the switch only puts it into a "standby" mode and won't clear any errors.

Mr. Man
10-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Never thought it would come to this but I agree w/ Dom
KILL YOUR TV!!! before it kills you.

RoyLPita
10-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Time to upgrade your MM's radio with the escape in dash 6 CD changer. See the thread about this.

Breadfan
10-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I love my TV it's hooked up to Internet content.

If you can't repair the TV, try running off an input and you can use anther device as a tuner just run the feed to the input. If it's HD, try an HDMI or component tuner. Most HD cable boxes have either/or.

1stMerc
10-25-2009, 07:47 AM
I love my TV it's hooked up to Internet content.

If you can't repair the TV, try running off an input and you can use anther device as a tuner just run the feed to the input. If it's HD, try an HDMI or component tuner. Most HD cable boxes have either/or.

I love mine too even tho it's regular analog it is still big screen.

Thanks for your suggestions. Never could get to the point of trying other inputs to tv, since it started acting up soon as powered on.

But, looks like i get to put put off having to buy another one a little while longer. Found answer to problem on web site called www.justanswer.com (http://www.justanswer.com) i now recommend as first/second step to troubleshooting, depending on your already attained knowledge .

Turns out one of the switches is (probably up channel) is stuck in closed position.
http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Steve5281/2009-10-25_065230_switches.jpg

Unplugged the pc board that holds them and can now use remote to operate tv again. Now just have to buy the switch and solder it in at my leisure.

Amazing how just walking a few feet to operate panel buttons seems like a journey of a thousand miles. :eek:

P.s. tv got a good cleaning inside :banana: spiders can get into anything.