PDA

View Full Version : Home-Made Ice Cream...

Blk Mamba
10-25-2009, 09:45 AM
...& frozen Custard, started yesterday, I made a small batch of Raspberry Ice Cream, and Vanilla Custard. Small batches to start, just to dial in the recipe. The raspberry is done, and is pretty good, I'll tweak it a little, the custard is freezing now, takes about an hour, and then I'll refine that for the addition of peppermint, for the holidays. Anyone else make home-made ice cream?

ntd
10-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Cool, when are we having the ice cream social at your house:D. How about some cookie dough ice cream.

Ms. Denmark
10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
What kind of machine? I've always wanted to get an ice cream maker. (Not the crank kind....the kind that does it all by it'self.

Vortex
10-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Its bad enough I eat too much of it now, if I were to start making it Id be twice the fat bastard I am today. I'd love to have a hobby making ice cream!

Blk Mamba
10-25-2009, 11:40 AM
The ice cream maker is a Rival, about $50, it takes me a day to make it, as there is a 4-24 hour cure time. It's all natural, just milk, cream, sugar , flavoring, and fruit, for the custard, you need egg yoke, not fattening unless you get addicted.

martyo
10-25-2009, 12:14 PM
So you deliver?

:D

Blk Mamba
10-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Delivery charges are outrageous, but yes.

1stMerc
10-25-2009, 01:05 PM
That brings back memories of mom making the custard, trips to the ice house, all the chipping, bags of rock salt and the seemingly endless hours of cranking. Thank god i have two other brothers.

All that cranking was well worth it though. Homemade ice cream is the bomb!!! especially with a can of cling peaches in heavy syrup and homemade pound cake.

massacre
10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I have an ice-cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer.
Works great. I haven't made too many flavors yet, I made vanilla with vanilla beans, and I think pumpkin. The pumpkin ice cream we ate on waffles with maple syrup. I just made a standard custard and added that canned pumpkin pie filling stuff, and some spices.
My goal is to perfect bacon ice cream. I will achieve that goal.

CRUZTAKER
10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
We still have Grandpa's hand crank machine.
Haven't made a batch in over ten years, but man...homemade is the best ever!

We usually do it in the winter when bags of salt and snow are in abundance.

guspech750
10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Works great. I haven't made too many flavors yet, I made vanilla with vanilla beans, and I think pumpkin. The pumpkin ice cream we ate on waffles with maple syrup. I just made a standard custard and added that canned pumpkin pie filling stuff, and some spices.
My goal is to perfect bacon ice cream. I will achieve that goal.

i had the best desert. I had french vanilla ice cream on a chocolate waffle with mapple bacon chunks in the ice cream and a few slices on top. it was the best!!!!!!!

1stMerc
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I love bacon and i love ice cream, but bacon and ice cream mixed together....... just doesn't set my mouth to watering. I'll try anything once tho.

MM03MOK
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Works great.This is now on my Christmas list!! Already have the stand mixer and a bunch of attachments. We actually got an electric ice cream maker for a wedding present and used it a few times.

massacre
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I love bacon and i love ice cream, but bacon and ice cream mixed together....... just doesn't set my mouth to watering. I'll try anything once tho.

That's my reasoning.
Like was said already, I'll probably be going the maple route with the bacon ice cream... Need to render the bacon properly, though...fresh thyme will also be a main ingredient. This will obviously require some R&D....lol.

n00bkiller944
10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I remember making home-made ice cream with my grandma and cousins when I was little!!

Blk Mamba
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
well, today I made, (with the help from my wife, and daughter) chocolate/ chocolate chip, banana, vanilla with oreo cookie, and peppermint with peppermint chips.

MrBluGruv
11-08-2009, 04:38 PM
you particularly a fan of peanut butter or cotton candy?

I love those flavors of ice cream myself, it's just pretty difficult to find those flavors out and about.

Blk Mamba
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I can make nearly any flavor, I've never tried those, my wife likes peanut butter, so thats a possibility.

pantheroc
11-10-2009, 10:58 AM

FuriousG at CV.net loves bacon and may have.?.

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
sounds like that stuff belongs in the trash.....

Ah see what i did there :D

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
FuriousG at CV.net loves bacon and may have.?.

I know for a fact he hasnt but dont give him this idea or he will be mixing it up in the back of his truck :P

Phrog_gunner
11-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Well they have a bacon/maple flavored lollipop, why not ice cream? I'm not scared to try it.

Blk Mamba
11-11-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking of making some, I'll replace about half the sugar with maple syrup, for flavor, and see how it is. Yes I saw what you did, but trash = total recall about strange happenings, not garbage.

1stMerc
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Well they have a bacon/maple flavored lollipop, why not ice cream? I'm not scared to try it.

Should be pretty good.^^^^^ I ran out of sugar this past weekend, so i used some Mrs. Butterworth original syrup in my coffee and cold cereal.
Tasted pretty good.

Anybody still bold enough to make "snow ice cream"?

1stMerc
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
What kind of machine? I've always wanted to get an ice cream maker. (Not the crank kind....the kind that does it all by it'self.

Sorry Ms. D just ain't the same. Got's to have the crank kind, especially with free child labor around. :)

1stMerc
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/e002/?pkey=cspecialty-electrics

Blk Mamba
11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
OK, today was candied bacon, maple ice cream, haven't tried it yet, but I made it.

Ms. Denmark
11-15-2009, 03:04 PM
OK, today was candied bacon, maple ice cream, haven't tried it yet, but I made it.Please let the rest of us know how it turns out!!

Sorry Ms. D just ain't the same. Got's to have the crank kind, especially with free child labor around. :)Yeah, I think you're prolly right about that!

Dereck
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi

You haven't lived until you have had ice cream at Jaxsons Ice Cream Parlour (http://www.jaxsonsicecream.com/) ;)

Regards

Dereck

Ms. Denmark
11-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi Dereck! Took a look at the Jaxson's page.....now I'm hungry. LOL How's things on the other side of the pond?

Dereck
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Ms Denmark

Everything is fine here thank-you, just patiently waiting for my Marauder to land :)

Regards

Dereck

Blk Mamba
12-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Well the candied bacon maple ice cream was pretty good, I saved some for Adam, but my wife took it to work for the women she works with, didn't tell them what it was till after. Today I made double chocolate, with crushed Reece's, Peppermint, (for Christmas gifts), and raspberry, with raspberry swirl, (for me). Most people that tried the candied bacon ice cream, thought it was a praline, or a butter cream.

a_d_a_m
12-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah, my fat a$$ needs bacon-flavored ice cream.

Bluerauder
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
The ice cream maker is a Rival, about $50, it takes me a day to make it, as there is a 4-24 hour cure time. It's all natural, just milk, cream, sugar , flavoring, and fruit, for the custard, you need egg yoke, not fattening unless you get addicted.
We have a Baskin Robins about 2 blocks from the house and a Cold Stone Creamery about 1 mile away. Can get anything we want in about 15 minutes. ;) It ain't homemade; but it is ready when we get the urge to splurge. :D For soft serve, there's a Dairy Queen about 6 blocks away.

Phrog_gunner
12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Any chance you'll share the recipe for the bacon/maple??

Cobra25
12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi

You haven't lived until you have had ice cream at Jaxsons Ice Cream Parlour (http://www.jaxsonsicecream.com/) ;)

Regards

DereckMe and my family go their about once a month for years now, They were rated in the top 2 best in the country. If your ever down in the Fort lauderdale area you have to go to Dania beach and stop their. Home Made Ice Cream , Home made wipe cream, home made fudge etc and the food is good their too. Great place to go.