PDA

View Full Version : Ford 427 concept car

Donny Carlson
10-25-2003, 10:06 PM
And I know somebody would mod it for MORE horsepower!!

from press release:

Detroit Powered

"From the first time we drew it up, we knew we had to do a powerplant that lived up to the image of this sinister sedan," says Chris Theodore, Ford Motor Company vice president, North America Product Development. "Putting a 590-horsepower 427 in this car is like putting a Navy Seal in an Armani suit."

The modern version of the Ford 427 concept's powerplant started off as a cloak and dagger "skunk works" project commissioned by Theodore, who wanted to know if it was feasible to craft an all-new, lightweight 427 cubic inch (7.0-liter) engine out of Ford's highly flexible modular V-8 engine family. Ford's Powertrain Research & Development answered the call and began working under the radar screen on a limited budget. The result shocked everyone.

The 427 engine produces a tremendous 590 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 509 foot-pounds of torque at 5500 rpm. Remarkably, the engine is almost 70 pounds lighter than the 5.4-liter 32-valve Cobra R engine from the Ford Mustang. The 427 achieves this astonishing power-to-weight ratio through the following attributes:

• Siamese bore aluminum V-10 engine block based on Ford's modular V-8 DOHC engines

• Ford-pioneered metal spray process to maximize the bore at 95mm

• Newly designed lightweight forged aluminum pistons with a very short compression height

• Aluminum cylinder head derived from the SVT Cobra R Mustang

• New billet H-beam connecting rods and billet steel common pin crankshaft for increased strength without the need for a balance shaft

• Lightweight hollow stem valves

The engine technologies were developed in Ford facilities between Detroit and Dearborn. So, it was only logical to carve the "Powered By Ford" and "V-10" logo with a Redline Red finish on the billet cam covers. Above that, the engineers bolted a massive aluminum strut tower inspired from the grille. As a final touch, they added lightning bolt caps along the inner fender walls.

Donny Carlson
10-25-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm not really taken with the front, but it's still great looking car.

:D

BlackHole
10-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Heres a couple of more pics

Interior

BlackHole
10-25-2003, 10:35 PM
And the Logo:D

BlackHole
10-25-2003, 10:37 PM
Guage faces this is the only part I don't care for.

PhastPhil
10-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Now if only we could get one of those engines in a MM, we'd really have something!

BillyGman
10-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by PhastPhil
Now if only we could get one of those engines in a MM, we'd really have something!

You took the words right off my keyboard. The Marauder looks waaaay better than that car does IMO. So I sincerely hope that Ford will offer that same type of power in some other body styles, because I think that one is a loser. But thanks for posting those pics just the same.:)
There's one thing that I wonder about though....why is it that car manufactures are all leaning to the V10 engine instead of producing a 7.0L or an 8.0L V8 engine??? I'm sure that the V10 engines don't have that robust V8 sound. Do they?

BlackHole
10-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by BillyGman
You took the words right off my keyboard. The Marauder looks waaaay better than that car does IMO. So I sincerely hope that Ford will offer that same type of power in some other body styles, because I think that one is a loser. But thanks for posting those pics just the same.:)
There's one thing that I wonder about though....why is it that car manufactures are all leaning to the V10 engine instead of producing a 7.0L or an 8.0L V8 engine??? I'm sure that the V10 engines don't have that robust V8 sound. Do they?

Listen to a Viper and yes its lacking that baritone sound.

But the reasoning behind the V10 is its less fuel consuming than a big V8 that and it generates more power more efficiently

03SILVERSTREAK
10-26-2003, 12:01 AM
WOW :rock: WOW :bounce: WOW :bows:

BillyGman
10-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by BlackHole

But the reasoning behind the V10 is its less fuel consuming than a big V8 that and it generates more power more efficiently

Thanks for your reply. I've only seen three Dodge Vipers so far. 2 of them were standing still, and the third was moving very slow. But I kinda figured that a V10 wouldn't sound like a V8. I like that V8 sound and I always have, always will. ofcourse this is merely my opinion, but if I'm going to opt for an uncompromisingly fast car, then gas mileage will always be second to how the car looks, sounds, and moves. In light of what you've said about how a V10 sounds, I look at it as a compromise. It's kinda like comparing how one of those Harley wanna-be Japanese motorcycles sound as compared to how a REAL Harley sounds. They don't compare. And no, I don't even own a Harley so I don't believe that my opinion is biased.

TripleTransAm
10-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by BlackHole

I was behind a Viper that was "showing off" (ie. trying to goad me into a race, but I had wife and child in my WS6 so I wasn't biting). I believe it was an early unit, with the split exhaust streams.

Quite frankly and only in my humble honest opinion, I've heard better sounds in my bathroom as a young engineering student after a hard weekend of drinking and spicy Mexican food (nowadays, one evening will do the trick).

I've had a chance to hear a few other Viper drive-by's and I'm still not impressed.

I hope Ford puts aside some money to pay the guy in charge of exhaust note tuning some overtime salary, because it's GOTTA sound better than the Viper. That, and maybe squash that sucker a little... looks too high and too thin, in my opinion.

Fourth Horseman
10-27-2003, 10:08 AM
They build that car and I'll be back as a Ford customer, quality control problems and all. Wow.

Hemlock
10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
I SAW THIS CAR AT DALLAS AUTO SHOW THIS SPRING . PIX DO NOT DO JUSTICE TO THIS CAR , WOULD LIKE FOR IT TO BE IN MY GARAGE NOW !!

BillyGman
10-27-2003, 11:44 AM
the car is okay, but the back of the car has that accordian look to it like a truck hit it from behind. It isn't a sleek body style at all. it's too blocky looking for me. If you gave me one, I'd drive it a few hundred miles at night to enjoy the power, and not to be seen in it, and then I'd put it up for sale hoping to sell it.

TripleTransAm
10-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
They build that car and I'll be back as a Ford customer, quality control problems and all. Wow.

Don't worry, Fourth... there's probably at least one Honda out there for every 427 to be built... ;)

Speaking of which, how's your Ford/Honda hybrid coming along? Have they pried out the Civic from your glovebox yet?

Fourth Horseman
10-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Hehe, yes, the junk has been extracted from my car. :)

I'll have a full update for everybody shortly, but it looks like Steve Babcock and company got me the part I needed. I understand it's being delivered to my body shop today. If all goes well repairs should be completed and I should have my car back in about 2 weeks.

It's been so long, I almost feel like I don't own a car anymore. Really looking forward to getting to know my car all over again.

gja
10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
You may as well take pictures of only the rear end, as that is what you will see the most of with a 590! HP block. It will ream every euro-snob sedan a new orfifice in a way only American muscle can.
DAY-UM, that is one nasty platform.

Ross
10-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Since the MM may or may not ever come back at some point in the future, that 427 could be near the top of the list for my next new car. Since I've had my MM, I have come to appreciate power! And I still have a lot of mods yet to come.

RCSignals
10-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Fourth Horseman
I'll have a full update for everybody shortly, but it looks like Steve Babcock and company got me the part I needed. I understand it's being delivered to my body shop today. If all goes well repairs should be completed and I should have my car back in about 2 weeks.

It's been so long, I almost feel like I don't own a car anymore. Really looking forward to getting to know my car all over again.

Fourth, I know it's been a long wait. But someone at the level of Steve Babcock getting involved is impressive. Do you really think that would happen if the car was from another manufacturer? I don't.

Fourth Horseman
10-27-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Fourth, I know it's been a long wait. But someone at the level of Steve Babcock getting involved is impressive. Do you really think that would happen if the car was from another manufacturer? I don't.

I think the real question here is: would I have had to wait 3 months just to get the parts to repair my car if I was with another manufacturer?

Truly, Steve and company did a great job for me once we figured out what the problem was, but why did I have to go to the freak'n product manager to get help? I'm not busting on Steve one little bit. He's the reason my car is being fixed right now at all. I just think it's completely and totally rididculous that I had to wait this long for Ford to figure out where its problem was.

I'll keep my eyes on Ford and try to get a feel from friends and boards like this one how quality is going. If things improve, I'll be back. If the 427 gets built, honestly, I'll probably be back regardless, just because it's such a great looking machine in every respect. However, currently my plan is to get my next vehicle from another manufacturer. I don't see any reason to reward Ford with another purchase after the troubles I've had in this instance, and the general quality control problems I've seen on my last two Ford vehicles.

Not trying to be a downer here or harsh on anybody, that's just the way I feel as a consumer.

Ross
10-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Fourth, it's easy to understand how you would feel this way. If I was making a monthly payment on a car that I hadn't been able to drive for several months, my frustration level would be unbearable. While we would love to keep you as part of the MM family, I don't think anyone could knock you for telling FoMoCo where to stuff it.

Fourth Horseman
10-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Well, if the Marauder comes out of repair in good shape, no horrible rattles or other problems, then I'll keep it.

RCSignals
10-28-2003, 04:19 PM
If it doesn't, or can't be made to be that way, you really need to go after the Honda owner and their insurance company.