PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC w/ GPS

SouLRioT
10-26-2003, 02:53 PM
I know there are members that have GPS units installed in their car, but is there anyone who has one for a pocket PC? I'm thinking of getting one and wanted to hear the pros and cons. I'm planning on using it in the car and out. Thanks for your comments.

SergntMac
10-26-2003, 03:52 PM
I went through a few choices and test drives, from the Delorme USB unit using my notebook computer, as well as the hand held Magellan Color GPS. I came to select the Street Pilot III and I'm very pleased with this unit. But, it's going soon too, in favor of the navigation features of my new Pioneer in-dash DVD. 6.5 in screen, full touch screen control, and no pre-loading of data, just the navigation DVD.

Best prices on the web are at www.gpscity.com

Festus
10-26-2003, 05:28 PM
I use a Garmin GPS 12 with either my Ipaq or my laptop. I had a chance to try out and liked the new Navman Bluetooth GPS. If you have a bluetooth enabled Pocket PC this is the way to go. The Navman receives the GPS signals and retransmits them over bluetooth, so no wires.

SouLRioT
10-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Thank you both, Festus: I dont own a Pocket PC yet, so do you know of one that has built in bluetooth. I know that the dell x3i has built in 802.11b, but that set runs over $900

SergntMac
10-26-2003, 10:23 PM
GPS is not a cheap investment, I learned that with my DeLorme setup.

The options vary, as does performance. You need to know what you want it to do for you, before you select your options.

I thought the Street Pilot III was the tits setup, until I found the Pioneer stuff. 614. for one, expect 1600. for the other. Still, what is does and how it works for me, seems worth it.

To each his own, and like many other things here, know what you want to do first. It makes the shopping so much easier...

ik04
10-27-2003, 09:41 PM
I have a Sharp Zaurus SL 5500 with a plug-in GPS CF card.

Total investment: $350.00

The software is free and updates from standard digital maps available online.

Kevin

SouLRioT
10-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Sarge, both of those units are static right? My friend has a Lexus factory GPS and uses it all the time, but what i'm interested in is one for the car and able to take with me on foot. ik04's unit is more what I'm looking for. My question to you would be how is the OS, how does it compare to plam and pocket PCs?

Festus
10-28-2003, 07:51 PM
There are several Compaq models, 3870, 3970, 5450. I have a Compaq Ipaq 3970 and swear by it. GPS's like the Garmin Street Pilot are terrific and I have nothing bad to say about them. However, it will only be a GPS.

I use my Ipaq for my calendar, contacts, notes, e-mail, MP-3 player, calculator, GPS, remote control, etc.

I got my Ipaq off of e-Bay over a year ago for <$500, it has 64 MB RAM, bluetooth, a crisp screen, a SD card slot and also came with a PCMCIA Sleeve, a 2 GB PCMCIA Hard drive, and a leather case. Can't beat that with a stick. The 5000 series Ipaqs come with built in 802.11 and bluetooth.

Eric

darebren
12-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Mac, did you ever get that Pioneer DVD with GPS head unit? Did you mount it in the OEM receiver location? if so, does the screen flip out all the way or does it hit the dash overhang?

Also, the Pioneer DVD has an input for a GPS system, what kind of GPS system do they mean? Are we talking another grand for something to hook into the Pioneer system? I'm thinking of the Pioneer P6500DVD

DetGeno
12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
I personally are getting sick of the laptop and Delormes GPS as well, looking for a PDA with Internet and GPS capability! Please let me know if anyone finds a good solution! Thx!