PDA

View Full Version : Retirement coming up...

rayjay
11-09-2009, 05:56 AM
A lot of you folks know I'm in my last year of my chosen career. I'm considering my monthly finances once I pull the plug next year. We currently own three cars. Two of which are paid for. The DTR and a Passat. My daily, a late model year 08 Aveo, I know :rolleyes:, will be paid for by next summer. Thing is I really love the Marauder, but do not need it. The Aveo is practical, but I certainly don't love it. I HATE the Passat. Anyway, that f&^%ing thing is hers. It would be stupid to get rid of the Aveo once I pay it off in under two years. I really DON'T need a car payment once I retire and I'm not going to keep working just to pay a for car. That would really be knuts... 93 is like $3.09 and climbing here, so if that keeps up the Marauder may not even come out of storage next spring, screw em.

Suggestions? :(

SC Cheesehead
11-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Ray, sell the house, auction off the dogs, put the wife and kid to work, keep the DTR...;)

rayjay
11-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Ray, sell the house, auction off the dogs, put the wife and kid to work, keep the DTR...;)

Nice Rex, ya that'll work... :lol:

Jimimac43
11-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Ray Jay, I feel your pain. I retired 8 years ago, and it was one of the hardest things I ever did. You wonder about the money and how it will affect you standard of living. Surprisingly, things are pretty darn good. My biggest concern is health insurance! Fortunately my wife insists on working and the insurance is very good. Remember when you retire a rule of thumb at the house is" Twice as much RayJay on half as much money"! Keep the Marauder, It will work out!

Dragcity
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Good for you Ray.

Why not keep the Marauder. You are only going to drive when you want to anyway. Might as well drive what you like. Me, I'd loose the Aveo. Get an old pick-up. You'll need something to do.

Bluerauder
11-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Thing is I really love the Marauder, but do not need it. The Aveo is practical, but I certainly don't love it.(

Keep the Marauder. Ditch the Aveo. H3LL, ditch the Passat too. With all that spare retirement time on your hands, you'll be able to spend it washing and waxing the MM. Retirement is for fun and relaxation -- you can't do either in an Aveo. ;)

Consider getting into a 2nd career. Something that you really enjoy and something that you'd be good at.

I was "retired" for 2 months before my wife kicked me out of the house and said "Get Back to Work". That was 17 years ago. Guess I wll be working forever. :D

Stranger in the Black Sedan
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Never, ever, ever admit to owning an Aveo on an automotive enthusiast's board. It's like, we have the technology to build great cars that are reasonably priced, styled nicely, have great power, and get good gas mileage. Let's not do that.

Mr. Man
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
All of the above Ray. Keep the MM it will give us all something to talk about at your monster retirement party that we all are planning to attend. Can your yard accommodate 30 or 40 MM's? I'd be more concerned about how you are going to get us all parked, and of course there is the BBQ to plan. Seems to me you have way to much planning to be thinking about than which cars are going to live at your house next year.:beer:

Blackened300a
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Glad to hear about the retirement Ray! Keep the Marauder! Its not costing you anything since its paid for so why even worry about it? Put it in the garage and take it out to enjoy.

UncleLar
11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Keep the DTR,when I had a garage my insurance agent was good enough to turn off the liability portion of my insurance and,ahem, turn it back on if I called and said I was going to drive it from x until x and then turn it off again.of course if that was only over the week end he never called it in but would've covered it if there'd been an accident as he'd had voice mail proof that I'd wanted it turned back on.I DO have an excellent agent though.Being able to do that saved me several hundred $ a year on my insurance.

jgc61sr2002
11-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Ray - Congrats on your pending retirement.:D
I'am out 10 years.:D:D

guspech750
11-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Keep the DTR!! And dont retire. There that solves your possible gas issue. No really more power to you if you can retire in these times!! Please keep the DTR.

rayjay
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, took the DTR off the road two weeks ago and put her away in the garage this afternoon. Just been thinking along the lines that I'd rather have a decent year round driver than what I'm doing now. I won't say here what I've been thinking of. Course I haven't driven one either so I may not even like it.
I ran 7,000+ miles on the Marauder this season. More than I wanted too. In 16 months I've only put 15,000 on the Aveo. I know I'd kick my self if I got rid of the DTR and I'm not going further into debt with retirement coming up. Plus Arleen would kill me. Well, I guess I'll sit tight a while and see how much back pay we get out of our next arbitration settlement. Then, I also do have this nasty affliction to buying shiney things that go bang. Just brought a new one of those home today :D I'll have to severly curtail that next year too. :(

-and- staying on is NOT an option. I'm already a roasty toasty....

TAKEDOWN
11-09-2009, 10:08 PM

LOL, I agree with this crazy!

Haggis
11-10-2009, 06:45 AM
...Then, I also do have this nasty affliction to buying shiney things that go bang. Just brought a new one of those home today :D I'll have to severly curtail that next year too. :(

-and- staying on is NOT an option. I'm already a roasty toasty....

What did you buy? ;)

Vortex
11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Just remember when you are retired you tend to spend less money anyway. Keep the MM and see how it works out.

rayjay
11-11-2009, 01:44 AM
What did you buy? ;)

That Smith 24-3. Remember I live in NY :rolleyes:...

dakslim
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Just remember when you are retired you tend to spend less money anyway. Keep the MM and see how it works out.

Exactly! A lot of little things you won't need like gas back and forth to work, lunches, maintaining work clothes, etc. I was worried too but things have worked out so far. Now if my 401K justs rebounds a little more.........

rayjay
11-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Now if my 401K justs rebounds a little more.........

Thats the one thing I don't worry about. NYS's pension fund is rock solid and growing. Something like $140+ billion last I heard. The Comptroller won't let the socoms anywhere near it. :duel: