PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Aviator

Mr. Man
11-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Found a Lincoln Aviator for sale at the local Ford dealer tonite. Don't know much about it but it looks clean and the OD reads 90K give or take. Not sure of the year but they seem to have made them '03-'05. Wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts +/- about these things. Internet says the are pretty good SUVs. $$$$ seems to be between 10.5 and 16.5 depending on year and options. Just thought I'd run it up the flag pole and see what opinions you might have. Going to dealer Tues to find out more about it.

Eric

ImpalaSlayer
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
pretty sure they have the same motor as the mms. or is that navigator?

Bigdogjim
11-09-2009, 06:26 PM
4.6 motor like the marauder:) Dual cam that is :)

Still make them?

offroadkarter
11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Trading in that truck made of recycled Japanese tanks already? Good show ol bean! :D

ntd
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
the engine is great same as ours but they have a 5r55 trans they wear the servo bores and break the OD or intermediate band at or after 70k. The reman unit has the issue addressed with a brass bushing kit. See it it's a reman unit or the original trans if original trans plan for some trans work down the road.

Mr. Man
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Trading in that truck made of recycled Japanese tanks already? Good show ol bean! :D
Heck no, love my truck. We are thinking of retiring the MM for shows and cruise nites and the like. MM is approaching 100k and it sucks in the snow although the snow tyres did help last year.

I believe Titans were to be made from Tahoe's but Nissan rejected that idea as there was to much rust to deal with:P

offroadkarter
11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Heck no, love my truck. We are thinking of retiring the MM for shows and cruise nites and the like. MM is approaching 100k and it sucks in the snow although the snow tyres did help last year.

I believe Titans were to be made from Tahoe's but Nissan rejected that idea as there was to much rust to deal with:P

Sucks in the snow? Bah! Pull up your man pants, i drove mine all last winter on bald BFG's! :P

You know how much fun it is going up an off ramp tokyo drift style? :D

DOOM
11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Ready for an upgrade huh?

SpartaPerformance
11-09-2009, 07:16 PM
the engine is great same as ours but they have a 5r55 trans they wear the servo bores and break the OD or intermediate band at or after 70k. The reman unit has the issue addressed with a brass bushing kit. See it it's a reman unit or the original trans if original trans plan for some trans work down the road.

+1 on the transmission being the weak link, I've never run into any problem other then that. And don't change tire size even if you do all 4 the transfer case spazzes out!

Brian H
11-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Same motor, different heads

ImpalaSlayer
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM

i know of a few members who have gone to an aviator engine. if the heads are different it aint by much.

SpartaPerformance
11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I think heads are the same, maybe the cams are different.

rayjay
11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Go for it. That way Paula can keep beaten up on ya even in the winter. :P

Mr. Man
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Go for it. That way Paula can keep beaten up on ya even in the winter. :P

She's been driving the T lately and she is in agreement that the T will pull a stock MM. It would be very close anyways.

Bluerauder
11-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Found a Lincoln Aviator for sale ..... Wondering if any of you guys have any thoughts +/- about these things.
Talk to Mike Poore. He has/had an Aviator for several years and loved it.

She's been driving the T lately and she is in agreement that the T will pull a stock MM. It would be very close anyways.

Yeah, yeah, yeah ..... :blah: :blah: :blah:

SC Cheesehead
11-10-2009, 05:48 AM

I've always thought it was the same engine. Can RoyLPita or others chime in and clarify?

Mike Poore
11-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Eric, we had two of 'em: an 03, and an '05. Barb drove them to ~60K and traded. The '05 had a better transmission ie: smoother & quieter; may have been a 6 vs: 5sp; but not sure. The '05 had the better engine, just like the '04 MM's; but interestingly; the '03 got better fuel economy ~20mpg. The big thing about the '05 was the stability control system, a BIG plus, in my opinion. Both were fabulous in ice/snow and were smooth, quiet and competent. With the heated/cooled seats and extras the sticker was right up there with the Navigators ~$50+K as I remember. Barb and I recommend them highly.

One thing, though, it's really a chick mobile, and I found it to be somewhat cramped, especially with the sun roof. Removable rear seat was an option and we never put ours in.

We never had a single service issue with either of them.:)

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 10:08 AM

wrong, same motor, different intake....
http://www.karkraft.com/New%20Parts%20689.jpg

They all use C heads... And before you say otherwise, Dark_Knight7096 has an aviator longblock in his trilogy marauder. the only thing he had to swap was the valve covers because of the PCV location.

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 10:12 AM

get me someone elses stock 04 MM and i'd love to prove that wrong for you...

Hey, dont you have an almost stock 04 MM!? :D

Mr. Man
11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
get me someone elses stock 04 MM and i'd love to prove that wrong for you...

Hey, dont you have an almost stock 04 MM!? :D

I'd feel bad about squashing all your hopes and dreams at such an early age. Well not really but I'd at least have to pretend for everyone watching and that just takes to much energy.:D

Bluerauder
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd feel bad about squashing all your hopes and dreams at such an early age. Well not really but I'd at least have to pretend for everyone watching and that just takes to much energy.:D
And Oh BTW, thanks for the info on the Aviator, Mike. ;) :P

O's Fan Rich
11-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Almost bought one ourselves.
But did not.
She likes her Suburban too much.

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Hey it wouldn't squash my dreams, cause it wouldn't be my car :P

Mr. Man
11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
And Oh BTW, thanks for the info on the Aviator, Mike. ;) :P

What Mr. Weisenheimer said^^^^

SHERIFF
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Pull up your man pants,

A/K/A "manties". :D

Mr. Man
11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Well took the Aviator for a spin. It was tight for myself as I am not a small person. Foot well was to tight but it would be Ms.D's car so not an issue really. It is an '03 w/ 94K. Found a few problems, the biggest being the rear drivers window didn't operate. Some cosmetic flaws but its not new so no problem there. It was peppy but I was expecting more. I think a CAI and a freer flowing exhaust and a tune would help tremendously. Dealer is getting a copy of Carfax and I will get the vin and see if RoyalPita can do his magic.
Engine sounded good, no unusual noises and the engine compartment was spotless. New battery too.
Need to take Paula to test it out and I can pay more attention to things going on/off from the passengers seat.

Phrog_gunner
11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
You might want to make sure all of your depends and ensure can fit in the rear cargo area. Might need to move up to the Navigator..:P

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Well took the Aviator for a spin. It was tight for myself as I am not a small person. Foot well was to tight but it would be Ms.D's car so not an issue really. It is an '03 w/ 94K. Found a few problems, the biggest being the rear drivers window didn't operate. Some cosmetic flaws but its not new so no problem there. It was peppy but I was expecting more. I think a CAI and a freer flowing exhaust and a tune would help tremendously. Dealer is getting a copy of Carfax and I will get the vin and see if RoyalPita can do his magic.
Engine sounded good, no unusual noises and the engine compartment was spotless. New battery too.
Need to take Paula to test it out and I can pay more attention to things going on/off from the passengers seat.

Just dont take that carfax for gospel, they are slow to update and often inaccurate...

For example, according to car fax, my dads 2003 yukon SLE's last owner is the dealer we traded it into... in 2007, which it says...

I know damn well that truck aint there :P

Bluerauder
11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Eric,

Why don't you check out a used Freestyle or a new/used Taurus-X (they became Taurus-X in 2008, I think) ? Bet you could save some serious cash that way and get one with half the miles of that Aviator. Bernie loves her 2006 Freestyle Limited and it is a very versatile vehicle and handles very well. I like it quite a bit and it is very comfortable to boot. Just an idea.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/Freestyle2.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/BlueMMandFS3.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/FreestyleDriverSeat.jpg

SHERIFF
11-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Found a few problems, the biggest being the rear drivers window didn't operate.

Bet it does work. On my daughter's 4X4 Explorer it gets stuck to the weatherstrip often if not used enough.

Have somebody operate the switch while you use a hand on each side of the glass to help break it loose.

Mr. Man
11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Bet it does work. On my daughter's 4X4 Explorer it gets stuck to the weatherstrip often if not used enough.

Have somebody operate the switch while you use a hand on each side of the glass to help break it loose.

I'll give this a try when I get Paula over to do her test drive. Thanks for the tip.

offroadkarter
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll give this a try when I get Paula over to do her test drive. Thanks for the tip.

Try yelling at it, that MIGHT just fix it....

It fixed the blinkers in my bronco! :D

Mr. Man
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Try yelling at it, that MIGHT just fix it....

It fixed the blinkers in my bronco! :D

Sure it was the yelling and not your ugly mug?:flamer:

CanadaMarauder
11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
NO complaints about mine! Love the 4 valves
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/jfriberg/Picture002.jpg

Had to do the coils when I did the plugs due to boots arcing out. That's it so far

bob6364
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Eric,

Why don't you check out a used Freestyle or a new/used Taurus-X (they became Taurus-X in 2008, I think) ? Bet you could save some serious cash that way and get one with half the miles of that Aviator. Bernie loves her 2006 Freestyle Limited and it is a very versatile vehicle and handles very well. I like it quite a bit and it is very comfortable to boot. Just an idea.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/Freestyle2.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/BlueMMandFS3.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/FreestyleDriverSeat.jpg

The freestyle is a great vehicle...to bad its called a Freestyle or I would own one....

Bluerauder
11-12-2009, 05:27 AM
The freestyle is a great vehicle...to bad its called a Freestyle or I would own one....
Yeah, too many people [including folks at the dealer] got it confused with the Freestar minivan. Guess that is why FORD rebadged it as the Taurus-X in 2008 and provided a couple upgrades like the 3.5L engine, 6-speed auto transmission, and auto-liftgate option. This was a great vehicle that was marketed poorly and just never caught on with the public. Where have we heard that before? Dayum shame. This car was a real winner that FORD didn't know how to sell. Then they put it in direct competition with their own Explorer and Edge. Nothing like eating your own young.

Ms. Denmark
11-12-2009, 05:51 AM
We went out and drove the Aviator last night. I like it! A nice blend of cushy interior appointments and SUV attitude. Gets up and goes with no issues. Body in good shape. Negatives; have to shoe horn Mr. Man in. Not much room for supersized guys. Takes 93 octane. Otherwise I'd be happy with it. Still thinking it over.

Mike Poore
11-12-2009, 06:28 AM
We went out and drove the Aviator last night. I like it! A nice blend of cushy interior appointments and SUV attitude. Gets up and goes with no issues. Body in good shape. Negatives; have to shoe horn Mr. Man in. Not much room for supersized guys. Takes 93 octane. Otherwise I'd be happy with it. Still thinking it over.

I never drove Barb's much, because of the size issue; but it was her work vehicle, and she felt very, very safe in it. It had no rival in slippery conditions, and she traveled the mountain every day. I think it required 91 octane; but got good fuel economy, considering. (she thinks in the mid-20's; but I don't remember) Unlike the Navigator with the 5.4 4V, we were advised to avoid lower octane fuel. Of course, you can always select a tune for lower octane, without much loss in power, since there's gobbs to start with.

Barb wants to know what color? Her first one was Mineral Gray.
Ain't buying new cars fun? :)

LSp8
11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Go for it, I liked them since late 02 when they first came out. MM motor + 1 extra gear in the tranny. My aunt just bought a rare Black/Black-Dove Kitty Hawk Edition w/ every option for 17,000 but only had 30k. Great truck, feels like a heavier Marauder. Plenty of cool features too like htd/cooled seats.

Ms. Denmark
11-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I never drove Barb's much, because of the size issue; but it was her work vehicle, and she felt very, very safe in it. It had no rival in slippery conditions, and she traveled the mountain every day. I think it required 91 octane; but got good fuel economy, considering. (she thinks in the mid-20's; but I don't remember) Unlike the Navigator with the 5.4 4V, we were advised to avoid lower octane fuel. Of course, you can always select a tune for lower octane, without much loss in power, since there's gobbs to start with.

Barb wants to know what color? Her first one was Mineral Gray.
Ain't buying new cars fun? :) Think they call it Light Sage? It looks almost cream colored at night. Very light with a cream and med. brown/taupe interior. I liked it.

Go for it, I liked them since late 02 when they first came out. MM motor + 1 extra gear in the tranny. My aunt just bought a rare Black/Black-Dove Kitty Hawk Edition w/ every option for 17,000 but only had 30k. Great truck, feels like a heavier Marauder. Plenty of cool features too like htd/cooled seats.That sounds great!!

Bluerauder
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
What she said ....... \/\/\/\/\/

Think they call it Light Sage? It looks almost cream colored at night. Very light with a cream and med. brown/taupe interior. I liked it.[/B]
What we heard .......... :blah: :blah: Off-white with brown interior. :D

offroadkarter
11-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Are you sure you dont want one of these?

http://www.docsblocks.com/images/Customers/Kevin%20Mannings%202003%20Cobr a.jpg

:D

Ms. Denmark
11-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Are you sure you dont want one of these?

http://www.docsblocks.com/images/Customers/Kevin%20Mannings%202003%20Cobr a.jpg

:DFunny you should ask......they had a Shelby Cobra 2008 model, silver with blue stripes 550 HP. Very aggressive looking. Mr. Man looked great sitting in it! I don't love Mustangs, but if someone gave it to me......:D

Ms. Denmark
11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
What she said ....... \/\/\/\/\/

What we heard .......... :blah: :blah: Off-white with brown interior. :DYes Charlie, we women are quite aware of you guys and the selective hearing issues!!:P

offroadkarter
11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
don't love Mustangs

Uhoh, I'm telling colleen :P

Ms. Denmark
11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Uhoh, I'm telling colleen :PSo Ryan, is she talking to you again? Tell her Hi!

offroadkarter
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
So Ryan, is she talking to you again? Tell her Hi!

she was never not talking to me, her life has just been going in many directions... one of her houses got broken into

and yes ill deliver the message