PDA

View Full Version : GTOs in Transit

RCSignals
10-26-2003, 11:28 PM
http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_HOL/doc_gmh0310271/cms/news/newsarticle.html

Holdens Aboard To United States; Next Stop - United Kingdom

Holden today loaded the first shipment of Pontiac GTO coupes, based on the Holden Monaro, for sale in the United States later this year.

The 5.7-litre, V8-powered performance coupes were loaded to depart tonight for the Port of Benicia, California.

The vehicles were the first of 5400 to be delivered to the United States in 2003 and 18,000 coupes in a full year of production.

The delivery will be the final chapter in an historic agreement in which Holden was called upon by parent company General Motors to bring the Pontiac GTO back to life after a 30-year absence from the North American market.

The event coincided with confirmation that another GM division, Vauxhall, will start importing the Monaro in the United Kingdom from March next year.

bigslim
10-27-2003, 12:37 AM
It is cars like this that is going to make me buy a supercharger. I will be damn if one of those GTOs runs up against me and whips my butt.

RF Overlord
10-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Hey, the thing may look like a roller-skate, but at least it's got a decent V8 and RWD (right wheel drive)...what else is there now that the MM is on it's last legs? What are we going to be buying 3-4-5 years from now? The new 2007 Marauder (IF there even IS one :rolleyes: ), will most likely be a V6 wrong-wheel drive pale imitation of its former self, like they did to the Cougar... :eek: :mad:

Ross
10-27-2003, 02:29 PM
It's not your father's GTO, unfortunately.

marauder307
10-27-2003, 02:45 PM
[It is cars like this that is going to make me buy a supercharger. I will be damn if one of those GTOs runs up against me and whips my butt.]

Gotta better idea. I'll get in touch with my fellow Coast Guardsmen out in Cali, and have the ship stopped outside the port.:P That'll teach 'em....

Geo
10-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Here's some pics of them being loaded on the boat in Australia:

http://www.wieck.com/public/*wieck_search?ws4d_nav=true&Source=ALL&latest=7&Page=1

use the arrow in the navigation section to go to the next page to see more.

This selection may time out. If so, try wieck.com and select PUBLIC. Then enter GTO and see what happens.

RCSignals
10-27-2003, 08:52 PM
There have already been announcements about big improvements for the next years model, like more HP, body styling changes, hood with GTO type scoops, etc.

Why buy a first issue if all that is coming the next year? Has Pontiac submarined the car before it even lands on the dock?

jparrie
10-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_HOL/doc_gmh0310271/cms/news/newsarticle.html

Holdens Aboard To United States; Next Stop - United Kingdom

Holden today loaded the first shipment of Pontiac GTO coupes, based on the Holden Monaro, for sale in the United States later this year.

The 5.7-litre, V8-powered performance coupes were loaded to depart tonight for the Port of Benicia, California.

I'll keep an eye out for them. I service that port.

Geo
10-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Here's a couple more pics that came up after I did a specific search for "GTO" on that website.

This may time out soon.

http://www.wieck.com/public/*wieck_search?ws4d_nav=true&operator=and&source=wik&source=wka&source=wkt&Page=1&search_criteria=GTO&mssgbox=Pass+cursor+over+thumb nail+to+view+caption+in+this+b ox...

Geo
11-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Here's a shot from Wieck of a Performance Plus option of which I have no details on but Wieck handles all the corporate photography for GM so you never know.

This one has the proper exhausts in the right corners

http://www.wieck.com/public/*wieck_search?ws4d_nav=true&operator=and&source=wik&source=wka&source=wkt&Page=1&search_criteria=GTO&mssgbox=Pass+cursor+over+thumb nail+to+view+caption+in+this+b ox...

look up Performance Plus if the page times out on Wieck.

Logan
11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Is it just me or do they look like frigging clapped out cavaliers... Good thing they have some balls or I'd laugh.

Racerx88
11-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Is it just me or do they look like frigging clapped out cavaliers... Good thing they have some balls or I'd laugh.
Didn't you used to drive a Focus?
:D :D :D

Logan
11-03-2003, 04:28 PM
I used to drive alot of things....

I also drive a minivan sometimes. Shuddap!! :D

bigslim
11-03-2003, 09:52 PM
It is front page news on this months Motor Trend. It said quarter mile time is 13.6 and 0-60 in 5.3 Not the most exciting car to look at but pretty good numbers for $33,000.

LincMercLover
11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Cars like that make me want that Mach1 sooooooooo bad!

RCSignals
11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
How is it that this GTO is acceptable at $33,000 but a Marauder isn't?

bigslim
11-04-2003, 01:17 AM
Probably because of the performance. If the MM had those numbers it would be a little more acceptable to the press too.

Merc-O-matic
11-04-2003, 06:51 PM
It took me over 45 years to finally
get a "muscle car" with 300+HP and
now they (GM) have to bring back the GOAT!
No luck at all! Where is the FORD "Blackhawk"?

Gotta Love It!

TAF
11-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Merc-O-matic
Where is the FORD "Blackhawk"?

My money is...^^^it's coming! Just a hunch...but I think it's coming and will replace the CV Sport. Maybe around '07.

JohnnyB
11-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I don't particularly care for the new GTO, however GM did give it the right engine/transmission combination. I don't think you can compare a GTO to the Marauder.... the cars are just too different. GTO looks like a 2 door Honda. The Mach 1 is more appealing than the GTO, IMO, but had the GTO retained some of the styling cues of 1967 thru 1970 models, I may have gone for one.....

RCSignals
11-05-2003, 02:23 AM
The performance doesn't seem too overly impressive, considering it's a bigger displacement 5.7L engine in a much lighter car.

The Marauder would seem to be better appointed with a more impressive list of standard features as well.

RF Overlord
11-05-2003, 05:32 AM
The Marauder would seem to be better appointed with a more impressive list of standard features as well.

Pontiac has for many years been the "supplier-of-choice" to the low-end rental fleets (sorry, /Steve), while Mercury was always an up-scale version of whatever Ford sold...now that GM has chosen to *****can the Firebird/Camaro, I'm glad they're at least moving in the the right direction...did I hear someone mention the Impala SS may become RWD (again) in '07 or '08?

TripleTransAm
11-05-2003, 07:31 AM
The performance doesn't seem too overly impressive, considering it's a bigger displacement 5.7L engine in a much lighter car.

Interesting to hear that coming from you, RC, considering your comments in the 'Car and Driver' thread! ;) The LS1 'suffers' from the same break-in schedule as the 4.6l DOHC seems to. My WS6 went from 13.9-14.0 at about 6000 miles to 13.4 at about 20000 miles, and I can assure you it wasn't due to practice on my part. MPH went from 101-102 to 107.6 in that time frame.

Consider that C&D got mid 15s from their MM, and my broken-in unit has whittled that down to high 14s (with the 14.56 coming in with good racing conditions). So it makes sense that the more powerful 2004 LS1 (more powerful than my '98) can generate the 104 mph in 13.6 seconds without break-in... expect a low 13 or possibly a very high 12, completely stock, out of a properly broken-in GTO in about a year.

TripleTransAm
11-05-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Pontiac has for many years been the "supplier-of-choice" to the low-end rental fleets (sorry, /Steve)

Why apologize?

Notice I haven't owned another Pontiac other than a 'Bird (except for that beloved 1985 Parisienne, of course, but for different reasons).

I can assure you I've left many a foot of rubber marks from Pontiac rentals over my years of travelling... I always used my rental experiences to color my auto interests. My rental Mark VIII in 1995 had me considering one once my funds improved (they didn't... thank you, Mr.House and Mr.RamAir), but my 2 rental Lincoln LS's were what really got me actively searching for what ended up being my MM. Notice that no Pontiac ever got me that riled up.

I did briefly consider a 'ram air' Grand Am V6 in late 2000, but when I found out they only came in an automatic, my interest cooled somewhat. I ended up with my Civic EX instead. Better value, in my opinion...

Geo
11-05-2003, 03:41 PM
spotted in Illinois (that was fast!)

http://ultimategto.com/2004/04_00093_2.jpg

http://ultimategto.com/2004/04_00093_1.jpg

prchrman
11-05-2003, 05:17 PM
exhaust out the same side eh...lets take a cav and put a v8 in it and charge $33,000...the difference in the GTO and the MM is that the MM started from a real car...not a rice grinder wanta be...GTOs were cool...were cool...once up on a pointy time...

TripleTransAm
11-05-2003, 05:32 PM
The original GTO was based on the lowly Tempest. At least this GTO comes from a real driver's car (the Australian Holden).

RCSignals
11-06-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
Interesting to hear that coming from you, RC, considering your comments in the 'Car and Driver' thread! ;) The LS1 'suffers' from the same break-in schedule as the 4.6l DOHC seems to. My WS6 went from 13.9-14.0 at about 6000 miles to 13.4 at about 20000 miles, and I can assure you it wasn't due to practice on my part. MPH went from 101-102 to 107.6 in that time frame.

Consider that C&D got mid 15s from their MM, and my broken-in unit has whittled that down to high 14s (with the 14.56 coming in with good racing conditions). So it makes sense that the more powerful 2004 LS1 (more powerful than my '98) can generate the 104 mph in 13.6 seconds without break-in... expect a low 13 or possibly a very high 12, completely stock, out of a properly broken-in GTO in about a year.

That really wasn't my point. The GTO has 1.1 L larger displacement, in a lighter vehicle. I'd have expected better performance just considering that. Compare it to the Mach 1 with basically the same engine as the MM, the GTO would seem pretty close, and I'd think it should surpass it by a larger margin. No?

TripleTransAm
11-06-2003, 07:12 AM
My point was just that as much as we dogged the magazines for poor Marauder numbers in their reviews, we can't take the GTO numbers as definite until the cars break in a bit. Didn't Motor Trend get a blistering 14 or 15 second 1/4 with a supercharged VT Marauder?

My personal opinion is still that we'll be seeing low 13 second GTOs at the track once they break in. As it is, the magazine is reporting times marginally faster than they used to when testing LS1 F-bodies, and we've seen their results after a few miles on them.

I still can't say I like the styling, though... I don't hate it, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Gotta be honest, though, when saying I prefer the un-posed pictures like the ones on the car carrier versus what's on the promotional literature... looks like this car doesn't pose very well.

derek77
11-06-2003, 07:55 AM
13.6 at a tick over 104mph tells me that the test driver with Motor Trend had a little bit of wheel spin at the line. I've turned 13 flats at 103mph with no spin. Just a little comparison. Results may vary.

Haggis
11-06-2003, 08:26 AM
IMHO I think the new GTO is an insult and that it looks like a Ricer. :puke: The Engineers at Pontiac should be taken out and shot. :uzi: Put the $.02 on my tab.

RF Overlord
11-06-2003, 08:38 AM
Whoa, isn't that a little harsh, dude? :D

Maybe Pontiac is actually trying to field an American (OK, OK, I know it's Australian... :rolleyes: ) car that will be acceptable to the kind of people who would normally drive a ricer, but will kick ricer ass, AND do it with good ol' V8 RWD power...

Maybe if this experiment works, it'll give them good reason to continue building V8 RWD cars...

Haggis
11-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Yes it is harsh, I was a long time Pontiac fan my favorite car is a '67 Goat and I don't feel Pontiac did it justice. When I first heard the GTO was coming back I was exicted. Then I saw the picture and I :cry: I have nothing against Australia, would like to go there some day. I just do not like the styling of the car. To me it says want some Rice. I was very glad when my wife showed me the Marauder because My '98 T/A Ram Air had 100,000 miles on it and little things were starting to go wrong and I loved that car and it was difficult giving it up. I do not regret trading it in for the Marauder for I enjoy driving it and watching the smile on my wife's face when she drives it and also the wonderful people I have met since owning her and joining this site. Like I said it is my opinion, put it on my tab and I don't mean to flame anyone. I am just disappointed.:depress:
Ok at least it is a RWD car.:D

TripleTransAm
11-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Derek, it all depends on the motor's characteristic. You can see a big difference in ET/MPH link when comparing 1997 and 1998 F-bodies... the LT1s are more midrange and low end compared to the LS1s which carry a stronger top end charge sacrificing a little below 2000 RPM. A 107 mph trap for an LT1 will mean high high 12s whereas the LS1 will ET in the mid 13s with the same MPH.

Not to mention that the car itself influences the relationship. MPH is usually a good indicator of horsepower, and you can get a low ET with a so-so MPH just by having a lighter car.

Last summer, my MM clocked 15.09 at 95.5 mph... I definitely had no wheelspin to worry about on those runs. Recently pulled off a 14.56 @ 97.2, that same MPH in a lighter Mustang would have been low 14s for sure.

I believe the 13.6 that Motor Trend pulled off is realistic for a new car with an LS1. I'll have a look at the 60' times when I get home, but then again my LS1 has horrible times there, it really takes skill to launch an early LS1 (bog or spin, bog or spin... no in-between).

I suspect the GTOs will eventually be trapping at 108 MPH or more, once they hit the low 13s.

Racerx88
11-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Haggis
Yes it is harsh, I was a long time Pontiac fan my favorite car is a '67 Goat and I don't feel Pontiac did it justice.
Ok, imagine you'd bought a brand new Marauder X-100 back in 1969. You've gone the last 30 years being in love with the car, but knew Mercury would just never bring back the car. And you really miss your '69. Then BAM, here comes the 2003 Mercury Marauder. Would you be happy they were making Marauders again, or would you be complaining that is doesn't look like the '69's? Our MM's can run circles around a '69, they get better mpg, and they're WAY more comfortable. I think most of the people who bought Goats back in '67 are tickled pink they've finally got a new Goat to play with. Not to flame, you've got your own opinion, and your welcome to it. I for one, don't especially like the looks of the new GTO, but it's growing on me. I didn't like the looks of the '98-up Camaro SS's, but it grew on me enough that I bought a '00 SS. Just MY .02.

Haggis
11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
No flame taken, none meant.

First I didn't know Mercury had a Marauder in the '60s until after doing research and visiting this board. Was always a Pontiac GTO fan and was considering buying one until...yuck. It is just $.02 that I can't afford. Allowance doesn't come in until Saturday.:D As long as it is Right Wheel Drive it can't be all bad. Did I just say that...:puke:

Can't wait to race one!!:D :D

Geo
11-06-2003, 01:17 PM
I will ad this, I will only own a RWD V8 car period. This makes me respect the GTO no doubt as there are not many options these days otherwise available that have V8 and RWD, however, I like a car that commands a strong presence and the GTO isn't doing that thus far. In 1987's RoboCop, the 6000SUX was long, wide, American and got terrible fuel economy and were the only reasons why everybody bought one. My 1994 Impala SS and the new Marauder are the only spiritual successors to the 6000SUX. If I am going to pay the cost premium for V8 fuel economy, I don't want to do it while looking like a Cavalier! Just my .02.

The next RoboCop mobile will be the 2005 Cadillac STS (supposed to have a 4.6L DOHC 32V V8 and RWD) and the 2006 Cadillac STS V-Series (with who knows what under the hood). The car replaces the FWD Seville and will be bigger than the CTS munchkin. It has sharp edges through out the body work (the opposite of the GTO). If Ford was smart they will redesign the Marauder sheetmetal and give it a New Edge look and compete it with the STS but at half the price! They will have the same engines then but oh well. Maybe they will do up the Lincoln and charge double and leave the muscle car market to soft looking GTOs. When the sharp looking STS comes out (pardon the pun), the Marauder will look like a steal.

RCSignals
11-06-2003, 11:21 PM
I think this GTO was actually GMs rush to fill the void of dropping the Camaro/Firebird, and to answer the complaints that caused.
It's hurried announcement early in 2002 was IMO nothing more than a hope to sway potential buyers, who may have been ready to jump the Goodwrench ship, from the then upcoming Marauder.

TripleTransAm
11-07-2003, 07:26 AM
I think RC's onto something, especially considering the similar projected sales figures. Unfortunately, it looks like the GM car will have the upper hand, with a strong name and good marketing behind it (heck, not many people know of the 60's Marauders).

Maybe if we're lucky, they'll delay the new Panther replacement and not do the whole drive by wire thing for 2005, thereby giving us another model year of Marauder to make a little more of a dent in the market.

Haggis
11-07-2003, 07:55 AM
Lucky for Ford it is people like us who are advertising the Marauder. When we have our get togethers and are driving around in groups of three or more cars together people turn and look, especily in groups of 10 or more cars. People stop and ask us questions about the Marauder. As I said in another post I did not know there were Marauders in the '60s until I heard about the '03 model and did some research and found this site. I hope FMC keeps the Panther cars looking American and does not try to rush anything and :censor: it up as Pontiac did to the gto (lower case on purpose!). Sorry RF I am very disappointed in the gto. Also with everyone have good times at the track, we are putting the name out there and making people notice the car.

TripleTransAm
11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Haggis, the current Marauder is a work of visual art. It sells itself, but Mercury needs to put it out there where people can see it. "Alias" was a good beginning, and some presence at car-lover-specific events (like FFW, SEMA, Hot Rod Power Tour, Woodward, etc.) is a logical progression. Words can't describe the feeling I'd get when I'd walk into a dealership knowing they had a Marauder and were willing to deal, looking around the showroom and finally spotting the gleaming black (in my case) monster. Sadly, not every LM (Ford up here) dealership put the spotlight on this car as it deserved, many times relegating it to the back lot. But, yes, the look on people's faces as we drove those dozen+ Marauders to Hershey's tour was priceless.

You have every right to be disappointed in the current GTO, it's all about personal styling preferences. Your opinion may change in the future, it may not... but you have every right to stick by your opinion. As much as I *love* my GTA, I absolutely felt the same way you did about the '82 Trans Am when it was released (the first of the 3rd gen, a big departure from the sexy curvy 1970-1981 models I was in love with). And in my case there was nothing to applaud under the hood either... but as the years went by and the 305 HO and eventually Tuned Port Injection motors came on the scene, I began to respect the car. The appearance of the GTA in '87 was the icing on the cake.

Personally, there's nothing about the current GTO that has me running to get a poster and pin it up on my office corkboard. Maybe in a few years, I'll morph into something I can get hot over. However, if there's one thing we have to give the new GTO, it's at least starting with the proper drivetrain. As much as I like my LS1, the new ones are supposedly the feline's behind (keeping it clean for all the kiddies out there), power-wise. Couldn't say the same about the '82 Trans Am.

RCSignals
11-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Yes BlackCloud, initially GM did say they would build 18,000 GTOs, I notice lately though in ads etc they pretty much only say "limited availability" What ever that means....

If the current Marauder really was only planned to be a two year run (I find this hard to believe since early articles indicated it would be around a little longer longer than that) it is one thing, but if it wasn't planned, Ford has made a mistake in deemphasizing Marauder production as early as it did. The car is just becoming "known" and it would look like sales for the '04s is up.

Geo
11-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Triple Trans Am! Did you say that there is plans for drive-by-wire for 2005? I still don't like the idea of the human touch (foot) not being in direct connection with the engine. This is the only reason that I frown at the 97+ Vettes. I know it's likely to be the thing of the future where every car will have this but it doesn't mean I like it. I like to FEEEL my engine and not having a computer to tell me how things are.

I can't imagine a Panther with Drive-by Wire though.

BTW I drove a 82 T/A Recaro not too long a go. I loved the pop-ups that you could actually see while driving (as opposed to them hiding through aerodynamic bodywork). The 305 4bbl went pretty fast I must admit and the 3.23 Limited Slip was fun stuff in the rain too!!!

We'll all have to go down to the Pontiac dealers and fishtail these GTOs while on a test drive. We'll have to see what the car is worth. Put on some dog-dish rims and all black paint job and 1998 Monaro tail-lights (full-width) and some antennas and maybe, just maybe the car can look intimidating. '

Anybody seen the new 2007 Ford Pinto Stallion? It has the size and looks of a 1970 GTO! Just kidding; ouch.

TripleTransAm
11-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Geo,
I quoted the drive-by-wire thing based on something I read here, to the effect that if Panthers were to be modified for drive-by-wire in 2005, it wouldn't make sense to invest money into the only car in the lineup that has a DOHC... all others have the SOHC thus making it cost-effective to engineer such a change. Maybe it was in an Ennis thread, recounting what Steve Babcock said...

I haven't really heard of any problems with the Vette's drive-by-wire setup, and it's been 6+ years on the market.

BTW, if you liked the 1982 305 4Bbl Trans Am (145 hp), you will LOVE my GTA. :up:

Geo
11-08-2003, 06:15 PM
It was a 4spd car that Recaro. GTAs are cool but what year doyou reccomend from 87-92? I heard the 91-92s has some electrical and other problems but that they had more bear grease to elliminate squeaks. I don't like the Notchback ones.

Did all GTAs have the red dash lights?

I like automatics generally but the 82 Recaro 4spd was fun. Were the manuals easier shifting in the GTAs than the 82?

Here's a pic off the net

Geo
11-08-2003, 06:20 PM
looks better than a 04 GTO I think.

Geo
11-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Why drive a GTO that has the shape of a smiley? Here's a GTO then driving a Recaro T/A

Geo
11-08-2003, 06:23 PM
vroom vroom

TripleTransAm
11-08-2003, 07:49 PM
Nice image, Geo... brings back memories. In 1982 I would cringe when seeing the then-new F-body. Now, even though those early ones don't look as aggressive as the newer ones, I still think they look cute now.

The later 5-speeds were the BorgWarner T-5 units, whereas the earlier 4speeds were Super T-10's I think. Weak points were synchros, and the post 1988 units were stronger in that respect but not by much (they were denoted by the term "World-Class").

The strongest 3rd gen F-bodies were at the tail end of the model run, so 1992 is your best bet. That year, they also benefitted from using body adhesive during assembly, to help eliminate squeaks and rattles. Apparently it worked, a local F-bud has a '92 ragtop Camaro that I swear feels more solid than my T-top'ed '87 GTA. Haven't really heard of the later years being more prone to electrical problems, though.

I don't like the notchback GTAs either.

http://www.tripletransam.com/S2/DSCF1907a.jpg

Pontiacs initially used blue text on their instrument panels until 1985 or so, when they switched to orange. I believe this has been the theme used to this day.

http://www.tripletransam.com/gta/Dscf3464.jpg

If you like automatics, you can't go wrong with a Tuned Port Injection motor, if you find one in good shape. Most of these cars were beat to heck in the 90s but I was lucky to find a low mileage (18000 even though it was 6 years old) unit that was casually driven by 40-something type that was into V8-RWD muscle. The crisp throttle response of the TPI coupled with the tuned low end response of the long intake runners, plus the 3.06:1 first gear in the THM700-R4 automatic and 3.23 posi diff... all of this makes for a whallop of a launch (I got better 60' times than with my 350hp WS6!!!).

Geo
11-08-2003, 09:53 PM
nice pics.

Was the digital display optional (is that yours)? I understand that TTop cars are prone to bending if too muchpower is added (hence no 350 option on the T-Top models). It sounds like a 90-92 245hp 350s were the best. I'd add the 50hp SLP upgrade if I could but you're right about the 350 in those years, they;re fast.

I wonder if the greased up 92s have better T-Top bending resistance?

Geo
11-08-2003, 09:55 PM
problem is I love T-Tops and the pre 91 look.

TAF
11-08-2003, 09:56 PM
http://www.tripletransam.com/S2/DSCF1907a.jpg

Pontiacs initially used blue text on their instrument panels until 1985 or so, when they switched to orange. I believe this has been the theme used to this day.

http://www.tripletransam.com/gta/Dscf3464.jpg

Where's the red, "squalk-box" thingy were "Kit's" (actor William Daniels) voice came out of...:lol::lol:

TripleTransAm
11-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Geo
Was the digital display optional (is that yours)? I understand that TTop cars are prone to bending if too muchpower is added (hence no 350 option on the T-Top models).

Uh oh... here comes that untruth again. You'd laugh if I told you how often this discussion comes up on 3rd gen F-body boards...

I'm not sure if this was a US/Can difference, but I've seen a few early 350/T-top GTAs up here. While I have the 305 automatic combo + t-tops, I worked with a guy who had an almost-identical '87 GTA but with 350 and T-tops as well. And on the car show circuit, I kept having my a$$ kicked on a consistent basis by an ultra-low-mileage red 1988 GTA with 350 + t-tops. I can honestly say I've personally never seen any 1989/1990 350s with T-tops, though. Both the above-mentioned 350s were verified as factory T-tops, via GM of Canada.

The digi-dash was optional from 1985 or 1986 until about 1988, I think. While they were not that popular in the US, it seems every GTA I came across when they were newly introduced was equipped with this instrument panel!

Yes, these photos are of my car, the side shot taken in May or June of this year, and the dash photo taken in my garage during the winter storage last year. I'll be honest... just putting those pictures up has made it very hard for me to concentrate on work... if I'm lucky, I *may* get one or two more days of use this year before the salt gets spread.

More pics from that session here if anyone is interested...
http://www.tripletransam.com/S2/

TripleTransAm
11-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by TAF
Where's the red, "squalk-box" thingy were "Kit's" (actor William Daniels) voice came out of...:lol::lol:

Many of the instrument panel's functions can be toggled between metric and english units. However, they couldn't get William Daniels to speak french correctly, so they had to scrap the squalk-box option for Canada. ;)

Besides, with the condition of our roads and that car's ultra-stiff suspension, the damned voice would only be saying stuff like "oof, ouch... *BANG* damn, what a horrible *BANG* that was a bad one *BANG* ouch"

jgc61sr2002
11-09-2003, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RCSignals
Yes BlackCloud, initially GM did say they would build 18,000 GTOs, I notice lately though in ads etc they pretty much only say "limited availability" What ever that means....

If the current Marauder really was only planned to be a two year run (I find this hard to believe since early articles indicated it would be around a little longer longer than that) it is one thing, but if it wasn't planned, Ford has made a mistake in deemphasizing Marauder production as early as it did. The car is just becoming "known" and it would look like sales for the '04s is up. [/ The Holden plant is scheduling one shift for the production of the GTO and the number 18, 000 is the maximum amount of vehicles that can be produced. This information was related to me by a General Motors executive in charge of the GTO program.

Geo
11-10-2003, 04:34 AM
excellent site TripleTransAm.

TripleG
11-10-2003, 05:33 AM
Nice Trans AM - Where is it today?

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by TripleG
Nice Trans AM - Where is it today?

My '87 and '98 are currently tucked in my garage, hopefully to be driven once or twice more this year before the salt flies. The '78 is still buried deep within the sub basement where I stored it a year ago. I will probably pull it out in a few days and leave it at my parents so I can work on it during the winter and really put it to use next spring and summer. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have a 3 bay garage in which to keep this car.

RF Overlord
11-10-2003, 09:13 AM
they couldn't get William Daniels to speak french correctly, so they had to scrap the squalk-box option for Canada.

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. .!!!! (ROFL)

I heard when they dubbed "Knight Rider" into French for airing on the CBC, they used William Shatner as KITT...

Here's a piece of trivia: what does "KITT" stand for?

duhtroll
11-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Knight Industries Two-Thousand.

I cannot believe I admit knowing that.

-A

tomd
11-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Had a write up in Sundays Trib about the 2004 GTO, price $31,000 plus!
If you get the automatic transmission it will all cost you and extra $1,000 in a gas-guzzler tax!

Good thing is it comes with a 10-speaker BLAUPUNKT system! Wish the Marauder did!

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Here's a piece of trivia: what does "KITT" stand for?

Knight Industries Turbo Turd?

( I can't stand the nose job they did on those cars... at first I thought the real T/As looked kind of plain up front compared to KITT, but nowadays I'll look at my GTA and then at KITT and go "ugh"...)

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by tomd
Good thing is it comes with a 10-speaker BLAUPUNKT system! Wish the Marauder did!

If the Marauder used a Blaupunkt system, I'm sure Ford would have figured out a way to cheapen the unit according to their specs (think Autometer and oil pressure gages).

RF Overlord
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by duhtroll
Knight Industries Two-Thousand.

I cannot believe I admit knowing that.

You are correct, sir! :beer:

You are also a huge geek for knowing that... :shake:

tomd
11-10-2003, 11:11 AM
If the Marauder used a Blaupunkt system, I'm sure Ford would have figured out a way to cheapen the unit according to their specs (think Autometer and oil pressure gages). :lol:
So true! Just ticks me off that the Marauder has such a lousy radio in it and the GTO gets a Blaupunkt system! Hell my sons 2003 Cavalier came with a better radio! :lol:

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 11:26 AM
You are also a huge geek for knowing that...

Bonus geek points for knowing what KARR (KITT's evil predecessor) stood for?

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by tomd
:lol:
So true! Just ticks me off that the Marauder has such a lousy radio in it and the GTO gets a Blaupunkt system! Hell my sons 2003 Cavalier came with a better radio! :lol:

I don't think the Marauder's system is that bad. Mind you, I don't think the speakers have aged well (could have sworn they sounded better when new). Then again, either I just drive listening to the exhaust note with the radio off, or I have to listen to the theme from Dukes of Hazzard over an over again on my way home for my little 2-year-old's listening pleasure. 50-60 minute drive, 1 minute song... a formula for insanity, to be sure. :help:

MM03MOK
11-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Bonus geek points for knowing what KARR (KITT's evil predecessor) stood for? You all know I'm a geek anyway!

Knight Automated Roving Robot

(though I did have to look it up)

KARR only appears in 2 episodes, the first being "Trust Doesn't Rust," where he is all black with a red scanner, and the second is "KITT vs KARR." In this episode he is found buried in the beach and somehow is now two toned black and grey with a yellow scanner and a new voice.

tomd
11-10-2003, 11:40 AM
I don't think the Marauder's system is that bad.

Guess am just spoiled cuz my 1992 Grand Marquis came a JBL sound system and 8 speakers. :alone: For $34,000+ it would of been nice to get that radio back in the car.

:bigcry:

MAD-3R
11-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by MM03MOK
You all know I'm a geek anyway!

Knight Automated Roving Robot

(though I did have to look it up)

KARR only appears in 2 episodes, the first being "Trust Doesn't Rust," where he is all black with a red scanner, and the second is "KITT vs KARR." In this episode he is found buried in the beach and somehow is now two toned black and grey with a yellow scanner and a new voice.

I always thought they should have mounted KARR's Computer and brain into Goliath. (Truck driven Michiel's evil twin)

Racerx88
11-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Uh, what happened to the GTO thread?
:confused: :burnout:

tomd
11-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Racerx88

Sorry this is where we left off

Had a write up in Sundays Trib about the 2004 GTO, price $31,000 plus!
If you get the automatic transmission it will all cost you and extra $1,000 in a gas-guzzler tax!

:eek: :lol:

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
I always thought they should have mounted KARR's Computer and brain into Goliath. (Truck driven Michiel's evil twin)

That was, in fact, the premise for the second Goliath episode.

Got me thinking... if the MM had a voice, what would it sound like?
(yeah, I can imagine all the Darth Vader answers to this one...)

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Racerx88

We were talking about GTOs? What's a GTO?

:D

Dr Caleb
11-10-2003, 12:16 PM
We were talking about GTOs? What's a GTO?

:D

A wannabe

Haggis
11-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Hey if you keep comparing the GTO to a Ricer, your going to get me into trouble again. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/n/puke.gif Excuse me...sorry!;)

Geo
11-10-2003, 02:35 PM
BTW I never liked the 91-92 Firebird air bag steering wheel and I think I don't like the radio buttons on the other wheel although I would take the radio buttons any day over the airbag steering wheel. The regular wheel is the best. Is it illegal to remove an air bag steering wheel and replace it with a regular one or is that tampering with federal supplemental restraint systems?

Does any one remember the 1987 GTO concept car based on a Grand Am with a Quad4?!

How about the 17 Myrtle Motors (New York) Grand Prix GTs?! It was all black and with a black grill. It had a tach on the hood and 2nd Gen F-Body exhaust tips on either side. It had a 3.73 Posi gear and Rallye II rims but that was about it. Hard as heck to find today.

Geo
11-10-2003, 02:39 PM
New show on NBC called Knight Ricer and ofcourse a black GTO with super wing on it is the car of choice!

'just kidding, I know it will be a great car but it will be rounder than the 2005 Vette which GM will add sharp curves to.

RCSignals
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
If the Marauder used a Blaupunkt system, I'm sure Ford would have figured out a way to cheapen the unit according to their specs (think Autometer and oil pressure gages).

and what makes you think GM didn't do just that with the Blaupunkt?

Just because the system is supposed to be a "Blaupunkt" doesn't mean it's any better. It's just the name.

Our radios are "Alpine", another good name.

RCSignals
11-13-2003, 01:26 AM
For Trans Am fans (http://www.knightreplicas.com/)

CalipSSo
11-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Those GTO's are in a totaly different class then us folks, but it still fun running fast cars once in a while. :)

All I hear is SC around here, any Mercs running N2O and what are they running in the quater?

RCSignals
11-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Yes those GTOs are more on par with the Mustang or old F bodies I think.

They are actually based on an older defunct Opel platform.

I can't get over that $1000 gas guzzler tax for an automatic!