Donny Carlson
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_5eiYn0D0&feature=player_embedded

Mike
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
That was pretty amazing what the pilot did. Saved a lot of lives :bows:

Bluerauder
11-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Excellent !! I am really amazed at how calm and cool the pilot is during this emergency. He was really focused on what he was going to do with the best possible ending. "Flaps 2 ... that's good". To his co-pilot/First Officer "Any ideas?". Response from F.O. .... "None".

GAMike
11-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Where I lived in 1995-96 would have given me a front row seat for this......

The Captain is absolutely a hero. The people on the ground however did not seem to be too much help. I don't know boo about air traffic control, but I would think Teterboro would be the first option instead of turning around?

Hate to armchair QB this one but its a good thing the Captain knew the area because he did not seem to be getting much help.

Bluerauder
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Where I lived in 1995-96 would have given me a front row seat for this......

The Captain is absolutely a hero. The people on the ground however did not seem to be too much help. I don't know boo about air traffic control, but I would think Teterboro would be the first option instead of turning around?

Hate to armchair QB this one but its a good thing the Captain knew the area because he did not seem to be getting much help.
Heading back to LaGuardia or diverting to Teterboro were never much of an option once he lost power. Notice that the pilot never responds back to the tower after his "We are going into the Hudson" remark. It took almost 2 minutes for the tower folks to catch up to the situation. The only help he was gonna get at that point was from inside the cockpit.

GAMike
11-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Heading back to LaGuardia or diverting to Teterboro were never much of an option once he lost power. Notice that the pilot never responds back to the tower after his "We are going into the Hudson" remark. It took almost 2 minutes for the tower folks to catch up to the situation. The only help he was gonna get at that point was from inside the cockpit.

Agreed. I would have thought that they would communicate back to the cockpit that NYC Rescue has been notified and stuff like that.... It just seemed like AT Control did not seem to grasp the severity of the situation. Anyways. It turned out the best way it possibly could have.

Thanks goodness for that:beer:

Joe Walsh
11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
WOW!!!

Loaded with fuel, luggage and passengers.....only 3,000 ft of altitude....then BAM!......No engines!

That pilot was one cool professional....
when he has a horrible glide ratio and especially when he realizes that they are not going to make it to any nearby runways....:bows: