PDA

View Full Version : Need help please on finding info!!

guspech750
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Since I was a kid I would always ask my grandfather about his service in Europe during WWII. But he would never really talk about it very much but would show me a lot of photos and things he kept from his time in the war. Well he has been gone for 12 years now. My question to anyone in here is, Who, where and how can I find out info about his service in the Army? I really want to find out all his info if poosible. Things like where he trained and where over seas he served. Or who he served for and with. And his length of time in the service and over seas etc.

Can anyone help me please?

fastblackmerc
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Try the VA (Veterans Administration) and Google "army records". You'll find much of what you need on the first page of hits.

SpartaPerformance
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM
VA would be best place to start. Do you have any info on him other then his name? See if you can find his dog tag or old military ID.

LIGHTNIN1
11-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm sure the other posters are correct to contact the VA. I was thinking in case you came up against a brick wall either one of the Veterans associations,VFW,American Legion or contact Congressmans office works a lot.

BobC
11-17-2009, 05:19 AM
As a relative, you are allowed to get his service records from the army. You will need his service no. and a death certificate.

guspech750
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you very much for the info fellas. I really appreciate it.

Mr. Man
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Actually the records are stored out in Missouri or one of those mid west states. We did this for Paulas' dad, he was Navy in WWll. I'll find the info...buried in the pile somewhere... but you basically request the records, they see if they can locate them (computer search most likely) then they send you info on whether they found anything. Say they do then you send them a copying fee and they send you a packet with what they have. I think the initial request was done on line. You need his serial number as I recall

ROCOB
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I am pretty sure this link will help.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

ROCOB

Mr. Man
11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
I am pretty sure this link will help.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

ROCOB

This is it. Not an overly easy process but keep in mind it is the Gubment;). They get like 20000 requests a week so the process takes a while. Good luck:)