PDA

View Full Version : ...off to Iraq?

Petrograde
10-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Well,.. I might be headed to Baghdad Int'l Airport for a 3-4 month contract, they need some 'Copter Docs out there...

...followed by a 1 to 2 year contract fixing Blackhawks in Bogota, Columbia. :rolleyes:

sounds fun huh. not really, but the money is freakin' awesome! Almost ridiculous actually. But, if they want me to turn wrenches in a place where people want to kill me, they'll have to show me the money!!!

we'll see,.. it might be short notice, so Logan and LML, ... please don't deactivate my account! I'm sure I'll at least have the time to post a "see ya later"

Tom

joflewbyu2
10-28-2003, 03:54 PM
sure hope it is better than the $75,000 - $80,000 the mechanics make at my work.

Ross
10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Now if you could only tear up the desert roads in your MM. Seeing a car like that could make the Iraqis turn in Saddam!

Long Live #3
10-28-2003, 04:00 PM
I bet that I'm one of the many people who don't want you to go, so I'm going to say this now: Don't go Petrograde! I want you to stay!

Petrograde
10-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
sure hope it is better than the $75,000 - $80,000 the mechanics make at my work.

well, if I did an entire year it would be over 150K. :D But, like I said; if I go ... it'll only be for a few months. Now the contract in Columbia doesn't pay quite that, .... but close! :D

can you say SUPERCHARGED?:up:

Tom

PS- Thanks Joe! I appreciate your concern. But, I need a job, so I go... or the MM might have to go.

Bigdogjim
10-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Tom: You will be missed. Be safe. Keep you head down. We will pray for your safe return

:eek: :rolleyes:

Dr Caleb
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Keep safe Tom. Not a friendly place to be right now.

Like Ross said, take the MM! The intimidation factor alone would be worth it!

Geo
10-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Remember the rules of the Jungle. That place would make the worst neigborhoods in the U.S. a walk in the park. Don't intimidate any Iraqis whatsoever. I Colonel or a General the other day was shot within seconds because he was carrying out a diplomatic conversation with some trouble-makers. I guess be as neutral as you can.

One always hears aboutg Caprices but let us know what Crown Vics you see there (I don't advise taking any pics though, somebody might get pissed).

GEO

RCSignals
10-28-2003, 05:09 PM

Ford service techs are making that much?

Rob1559
10-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Two words....

Body Armor!

Petrograde
10-28-2003, 05:15 PM
thanks for the concern y'all! Once again, MM.net members showing some class!

Besides, I wouldn't see too many Iraqis. I sure those guys are locked down, meaning ... unless you're out on patrol, you don't leave post! I can definitely tell you I won't be going on any patrols! :lol:

Geo- when I was in Kuwait this year I saw a bunch of Crown Vics, and Caprices,... I even saw an Impala SS! Along with a red,white & blue Viper, many Hummer H1's and H2's, lots of Vette's and yes,... even a couple of Harley's!

I never had my camera with me when I was in town, rest assured, I will this time!

Tom

joflewbyu2
10-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Petrograde, i didn't mean any disrespect. i just hate traveling. in order to get me to relocate there they would have to offer me the world. Petrograde, if you want to relocate to sunny south florida, e-mail me at joflewbyu2@aol.com and i will try to help you. i don't work at ford, i work for acura. when i was at buick 6 years ago, my friend was making $75,000+ a year - he was there 8 years. last year my friend who is a Saab mechanic made $90,000+. mechanics work off of commisions. if he can do a 5 hour job in 2 hours, he still gets paid 5 hours at his rate (varies at $20/ hr give or take). he may punch 80 hours a week at $20 an hour for a $1,600 weekly paycheck.

TAF
10-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Tom...congrats on the opportunity. It's an obvious comment on your expertise to be selected for this opportunity. Be sure to find internet access to keep in touch. Remember, Piglet was "talking" to us while on active missions, so we will expect to hear from you from the Baghdad Airport Cyber-Cafe':D

jgc61sr2002
10-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Tom - Good luck on your deployment. Stay safe and we will keep you in our prayers.

BUCKWHEAT
10-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Tom, does this mean you will sell La Otra Mujer? You might be able to buy her back on your return. Also, be sure you know how the earned income exclusion works before you go. Don't sign a contract that has you paying a pretend tax to your employer. My understanding is that Iraq has no income tax. The US tax law gives you something like $80k per year tax free when you earn it over there. Get some advice. You may find the money there without taxes goes a lot farther than here with them. You can use the difference and buy La Otra Mujer II with the supercharger for the money you get from #I. Quien sabe.

Petrograde
10-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Petrograde, i didn't mean any disrespect. i just hate traveling. in order to get me to relocate there they would have to offer me the world.

:lol: none taken, in fact,... I couldn't agree more! I haven't official accepted the Iraq contract, in fact,... it hasn't officailly been offered. Just talk at this point. A major factor in this,... my wife, isn't exactly thrilled about all this. I promised her that if I could find a job somewhere safer, .... in Texas. I would take it.

Johnman
10-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Take care if tou go, Tom, my prayers will be with you. I'm glad to know you wouldn't be going out on patrols! Store "La Otra Mujer" and modify the heck out of her when you get back with the money you have so rightly earned. Good luck..

Petrograde
10-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks Buckwheat! Unfortunately I already found this out the hard way. I spent the first 6 months of this year in Kuwait. They didn't withhold any income tax. The way the law is stated now, income tax exclusion is only for the military and DOD personnel, unless I stay for 330 days or longer.

Unless they've changed that in the last weeks. I'm gonna get raked over the coals next April 15th! ...sigh....

As far as selling the Other Woman, hmmm,.. I don't think I could. That would be a total last resort. Thanks though! :up:

Tom

Agent M79
10-28-2003, 08:22 PM
I dunno Petrograde, you might be safer on base in Iraq than anywhere in Columbia. Yikes. Such choices.

Good luck in whatever you decide and duck when necessary.

SergntMac
10-28-2003, 08:55 PM
It's easy to say "please don't go, you will be missed." But, I mean that too.

Whatever you decide to do, bring your "stuff" with you, eh? And, bring your stuff back.

Please try to keep us informed of where you are, and how we can reach you, K?

If I don't get a chance to say it again, I mean it now.

Safe journey, my friend, get back here, safely and soon!

cruzer
10-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Tom, you gotta do what you gotta do--We will miss you-hope something comes thru locally before you have to make the final decision--stay safe, stay in touch---return safely--keep us posted, Maury

Bowman9
10-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Petrograde if you do end up going over seas take care and check in with us when you can.

Good luck and take care.

RCSignals
10-29-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Petrograde
I promised her that if I could find a job somewhere safer, .... in Texas. I would take it.

Hmm, Iraq, Texas...............Texas,Iraq ..................decisions decisions

THE_INTERCEPTOR
10-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Well,.. I might be headed to Baghdad Int'l Airport for a 3-4 month contract, they need some 'Copter Docs out there...

...followed by a 1 to 2 year contract fixing Blackhawks in Bogota, Columbia. :rolleyes:

sounds fun huh. not really, but the money is freakin' awesome! Almost ridiculous actually. But, if they want me to turn wrenches in a place where people want to kill me, they'll have to show me the money!!!

we'll see,.. it might be short notice, so Logan and LML, ... please don't deactivate my account! I'm sure I'll at least have the time to post a "see ya later"

Tom

Go for it! There are civilian contractors out here where I'm at in Kyrgyzstan right now. They have cut atleast 15-20 military positions in our Communications Squadron and filled them with Sprint contractors. They are making $165,000 tax free.
Plus $110 a day per-diem. :D

When I get out of the Air Force in a few years, I will DEFINITELY be interested in coming right back out here as a civilian.

Mad1
10-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Tom,

Just be careful wherever you you decide to go. Money isn't worth anything if you don't have your health.

Jeremy

2003 MIB
10-29-2003, 07:37 AM
Geez Tom,
When we talked last Saturday, I knew you were going to crank up the job search but I didn't get that this was in the cards. My advice is earn your money and stay in the compound- no sightseeing with your old unit. Mrs. Petrograde stays here? Let her show "The Other Woman" and come to MM meetings. She needs to meet and know more local folks - I couldn't recommend a better group of people- Hell, Maury might adopt her. I drive through GP every day (twice) and I'm available for any emergencies that might come up. Let me know your plans.
-Dan

Alan
10-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Tom,

If you go...good luck, Godspeed, and safe return.

Petrograde
10-29-2003, 10:39 AM
I really thank you guys for your support! Right now, it's looking like I'll be headed to South America instead. Either Columbia or Honduras. Iraq still may happen, but, for obvious reasons my family isn't thrilled about that. Also, I can't carry a weapon in Iraq. But, I can carry in South America. :uzi:

Dan- thanks for the offer my friend! It is truly appreciated!

the_interceptor- I remember when I was in the Army being deployed to lovely places like Bosnia and Kosovo. When I found out what those guys were making to do the same job I did. ... well,.. It wasn't hard to figure out what I was gonna do after the military! :lol:

Once again, thank you all! I'll keep you guys posted!

Tom

Ross
10-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Don't forget to take a big Texas flag with you!

PAVEDRVR
10-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Sorry you aren't going to Iraq. I'll be back there again in Feb. We could've talked Marauders in person. I wish they would pay me $150k :D

Petrograde
10-29-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey PAVEDRIVER,
are you by any chance qualified as a maintenance test pilot? I'm pretty sure Dyncorp and Lockheed-Martin have their own pilots. Of course they make more than mechanics! :up:

I don't know where you're at in terms of filling out your 20, or current commitment, but, it's something to keep in mind.

you might get a kick out of this, I read it in a port-a-john in Kuwait: Someone drew a pretty good picture of an Apache, and above it it said: College education to break it .... High School education to fix it... :lol:

No flame intended Sir!:D

Tom

PS- there is still a slight chance of me going, if I do,... hope to see ya... if not,.. watch yourself!

BillyGman
10-30-2003, 12:16 AM
go, then I wish you the best Tom......hey, maybe I'll donate my 50BMG rifle to ya, and you can mount it on the hood of your Marauder and take it to Iraq w/you for protection;)

Ross
10-30-2003, 07:56 AM
BillyGMan said:

"maybe I'll donate my 50BMG rifle to ya, and you can mount it on the hood of your Marauder and take it to Iraq w/you for protection"

Now, I would almost volunteer to go over there just to see that!

BillyGman
10-30-2003, 11:10 AM
LOL.......

Petrograde
10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
LOL Thanks Ross,
But, I'm not allowed to carry there! :rolleyes:

BillyGman
10-30-2003, 11:16 AM
really be "packin".....it would be a hood ornament;)

Petrograde
10-30-2003, 11:19 AM
If I had my MM in Iraq.... I wonder how long it would be before you saw this post: "Bullet holes! anyone else have this problem?"

:lol:

Ross
10-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Don't worry, DR can come up with a mod to take care of bullet holes!:D

PAVEDRVR
10-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Tom,
Funny stuff, now drop and give me 20!:D If ya go you'll have your hands full. Our birds have been gone since 9/11 and are tired .
Keep the dirty side down.
Pete

Geo
11-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Ford has a Ballistic Armour Package for the Panther-based Town Car now. Perhaps one can order a 2004 Marauder with that to take to Iraq. That would solve some problems. Apparently the Town Car has bullet proof windows and tires and land-mine protection for the under-carriage. However you hear about HumVees in Iraq that go over land-mines and don't fair to well but I think the occupants survive. Anyway it's something.