PDA

View Full Version : Drag racing NHRA 1959

Pops
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM
NHRA in Detroit in the late fifty's. Its fun to watch so you can see how things have changed and some have not! This is 28 minutes long. Check out the tow cars and trucks. Enjoy!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCm7YO2GOI&feature=player_embedded

MrBluGruv
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I think the neatest thing about that is that it seems like all the crews and racers had a genuine degree of friendship and union even though they were competitors. That doesn't seem to be in as abundant of supply these days...

Pops
11-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I think the neatest thing about that is that it seems like all the crews and racers had a genuine degree of friendship and union even though they were competitors. That doesn't seem to be in as abundant of supply these days...

Its still going on but seems like on the Pro side its war!

dakslim
11-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Ah, 1959, I was 15 years old...young, dumb and full of oh, never mind.:rolleyes:

martyo
11-20-2009, 06:45 PM
John that is an awesome find!!

Breadfan
11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
That is VERY cool!

FordNut
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Love it! Lots of familiar names at the event from back in the day. Reminds me of growing and going to the strip with Dad, he worked the scales and classified cars before racing, then worked the finish line calling the winner and timing runs. This was in the days before the photo-electric eye at the finish line so he called the winner and timed the run with a stopwatch!. More than once there was a dispute when the loser stopped by the finish line on the way back up the return road. Mom helped out in the concession stand sometimes, FREE HOT DOGS!

Dad ran a AA Gas '55 Chevy, straight front axle, cutout rear fenderwells so the slicks would fit, one-piece flip up front end, 409 BB/S displacing 481 CI. Twisted driveshafts into pretzels.

Aah, the good old days.

UncleLar
11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I loved the Super Stockers,altered wheelbase A/FX's,Altereds,Gassers and slingshots,they can have the Pro Stocks,floppers and new rails. Just like NASCAR,not a real stock car in sight and hardly worth a second look.

Joe Walsh
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
That was an awesome look back into the past!

It is one of the few things that make me wish that I had been born 20 years earlier! (I was born the year of that drag racing film)

1: Detroit was the center of the automotive universe. Japan was the land of low quality junk.
2: Every year, Everyone waited anxiously to see what each manufacturer's new models looked like.
3: The manufacturers "one-upped" each other with bigger engines and faster cars every year. Even special lightweight editions.
4: Your success in drag racing was based on your mechanical skills and your ingenuity...not how well you could adhere to, or bend the rules.
5: You could run just about anything!...I mean twin Chevy BBs!!...Allison V12s!!! That was some unique and interesting stuff!....:bows:
6: Driving up Route 66 from California to drag race in Detroit.....Ahhhh! The good 'ole days!