PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Music 24/7

Bluerauder
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
WASH 97.1 FM radio in Washington, DC and Northern Virginia area has been playing Christmas music 24/7 for the past week. What is up with this? The Christmas season seems to get earlier and earlier each year. Stores are putting up Christmas trees before Halloween. Gimmee a break. At this rate, I'll be sick of "Jingle Bell Rock" before mid-December.

I figure that there are possibly three reasons for this phenomenon .....

1. There is not enough decent music today to fill an entire radio schedule.
2. People are so desperate to feel good about something (or anything) that the Christmas music puts 'em in that feel good mood until depression sets in around 20 December.
3. The retailers are pushing you to spend your holiday dollars earlier and earlier before Health Care Reform kicks in and you don't have a dime to spend on any gifts at all.

Personally, I think that any Christmas music at all should wait until the Santa man makes his appearance at the end of the Macy's Parade. But, I am just sort of traditional. :rolleyes:

Phrog_gunner
11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I have a strict no xmas music policy.

a_d_a_m
11-23-2009, 07:04 PM
This is why I rarely listen to commercial radio, and generally stick to 88.1FM through 91.9FM (college radio).

Though I am a sucker for a couple Christmas tunes...

Black_Noise
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
A long time ago (7 yrs) I had a job as a night attendant at a BP gas station, 3rd shift.

Thank god they didnt start playing christmas music untill December, but can you imagine 40 hrs a week of nothing but Christmas music, I about went nuts one night, took a broom and started smacking the speakers with the handle, ended up breaking it and blaming it on a drunk. Hope the manager never watched the security tapes.... probably thought I was a loonie.

a_d_a_m
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
40 hrs a week of nothing but Christmas music, I about went nuts one night, took a broom and started smacking the speakers with the handle, ended up breaking it and blaming it on a drunk. Hope the manager never watched the security tapes.... probably thought I was a loonie.
:lol:

Reminds me of that scene in Animal House where Belushi smacks that hippie's guitar.

Mr. Man
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
This is why I rarely listen to commercial radio, and generally stick to 88.1FM through 91.9FM (college radio).

Though I am a sucker for a couple Christmas tunes...

Didn't know you were a beatnik A/C :D

+1 Bluerauder seems the stores skip Halloween and T'day.
We have been listening to Christmas on Sirius as the MOTHER-IN-LAWis visiting and its hard to find music she will listen to with-out comment.

Pray for me.......:o

Black_Noise
11-23-2009, 07:31 PM
:lol:

Reminds me of that scene in Animal House where Belushi smacks that hippie's guitar.

Thats about how it was.

CWright
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I would have to say it is my favorite time of year. I like the music. It takes me back and the different tunes bring about different memories. All in all though it takes me to the true meaning of Christmas and what a awesome gift I have been given. Maybe I am sentimental but that's ok. It is where my heart is that matters. I have to say I have my XM on 4 and 23. :D Anyway, just wanted to share.

Stoneblue
11-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Dylan has a new Christmas CD out.

EbonyMarauder03
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Here in the Philly area 101.1 starts the Christmas music just after election day. That's too long and probably gets the kids riled up too.

jonroe
11-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Charlie,

My daughter checks on WASH-FM every year and starts it around the house the day they start. It's been on in my house since Nov. 20! However, I did turn her on to a great Christmas CD by Reverend Horton Heat that I love and she plays a lot of. This CD is great:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Kings-Reverend-Horton-Heat/dp/B000ARWIJO

Jon

Marauderman
11-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Charlie, we have the same situation here in Charlotte--A local station starts playing it right when Nov appears.....every year-----that's' when I delete it off the radio and replace it with something else till closer to X-mas----

Apparently it happens in a lot of places then........

Bluerauder
11-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Don't get me wrong .... I love Christmas music and I enjoy the season very much. In fact, I have many of the same memories and feelings as "cwright". Some songs can immediately take me back to 1957 or 1960 with plenty of fond memories. I just think it shouldn't be pushed too early. 3 weeks out is about right. No earlier than 4 Dec (or the Army-Navy game) whichever comes first. ;)

Even the Salvation Army "Bell Ringers" showed up on the day after Halloween at the local grocery store.

Spectragod
11-24-2009, 09:04 AM
i would have to say it is my favorite time of year. I like the music. It takes me back and the different tunes bring about different memories. All in all though it takes me to the true meaning of christmas and what a awesome gift i have been given. Maybe i am sentimental but that's ok. It is where my heart is that matters.

x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^