PDA

View Full Version : Back surgery help!

Chatam/Marauder
11-30-2009, 07:53 AM
I’ve got a bad disc in my lower back due to having degenerative disc disease. To make this short, it isn’t getting any better with time, so I’ve been contemplating with the idea of having back surgery done. Any good or bad experiences/procedures out there to those reading this please respond to this posting.
Thank you!

justbob
11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
My friend was in your situation about 12 years ago. He had the surgery and still feels like a million bucks. Hope you feel better soon.

BhamMarauder
11-30-2009, 09:01 AM
I have had 2 back surgeries - 1994 and 1999 - to repair ruptured discs in my lower back. The recovery time was pretty quick. I'm glad I did it.

jonroe
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Two VERY successful back surgeries here for herniated discs, 1996 and 2008 (separate discs). Recovery was quick on both and I feel great. The 1996 surgery area has bothered a little bit (slight return of discomfort) from 2004 - 2008 but is gone again now. I was lucky to have the best disc surgeon in the DC area and my cases were classic ones for surgical repair. That is not always the case. It depends on exactly your disc issue whether surgery is the right thing. For me, no regrets and I would (will) do it again if need be (my discs are prone to this).

Mr. Man
11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Get multiple opinions as back surgery is still risky business. If you determine that surgery is your only choice find the BEST doctor you can. You may need to travel to NYC or San Fransisco but keep in mind if you don't get the best you may end up in a wheel chair. Good luck

SC Cheesehead
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
I had surgery on L3 back in 1977 after going through a month's painful therapy. Felt great after that, and have had only minor problems since then.

Phrog_gunner
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
I had surgery on L3 back in 1977 after going through a month's painful therapy. Felt great after that, and have had only minor problems since then.

Back then L3 was codeword for Lobotomy, they did us all a favor.

You could also try an inversion table. Its basically where you get on it and strap in by your ankles, then you lean back and it holds you upside down by your ankles and takes all of the pressure off of your back. The table itself probably runs like $150, but going to a Dr for "spinal decompression therapy" is like $100 a session so that can make the purchase pay for itself in one weeks worth of use.

BhamMarauder
12-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Have you decided anything about back surgery?

Chatam/Marauder
12-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Have you decided anything about back surgery?

Not yet, still doing some research into various options out there these days.

RacerX
12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Oh my.... My wife just got diagnosed with that. she has a 12mm protrusion into her nerve at the L5 also. DDD in her neck as well. She's only 40... :(

bawazir
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I’ve got a bad disc in my lower back due to having degenerative disc disease. To make this short, it isn’t getting any better with time, so I’ve been contemplating with the idea of having back surgery done. Any good or bad experiences/procedures out there to those reading this please respond to this posting.
Thank you!

I am not laying but prayer is the answer
I pray for you man